corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Could a slipping fan belt mean the battery doesn't charge?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Could a slipping fan belt mean the battery doesn't charge?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
11th Mar 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove over ten miles the other night with my lights on and as soon as I got home the car died and the battery was dead. Lucky I got it home.

Now for a good part of the journey the bloody fan belt was squealing its head off at me, so I was wondering could this mean the battery wasn't getting charged? I've checked the belt and its 100% and still there.

Hooked it up to a battery charger yesterday and it was still holding charge today.

Any had an experience like this?
Tony M84

11th Mar 12 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the battery light on a flickering at all?

Edit ; constantly on or flickering*

[Edited on 11-03-2012 by Tony M84]
Ricky352

11th Mar 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt notice mate to be honest. Its an old school Mini by the way.
corsajay88

11th Mar 12 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it can, my old corsa did this.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

11th Mar 12 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the fan belt spins the alternator, then definitely. Tension it up, and preferably if it's not too difficult, change the belt as well.
Ricky352

12th Mar 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like all it might be is just the belt then. Cheers folks, will have to give it look when I get time.
Phoenix Autosport

12th Mar 12 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replace the belt, they are only a few quid and once they have slipped they will have wear spots on them and will be prone to it in the future.

how old school is your mini as the early ones had a dynamo rather than an alternator, these are more prone to slipping belts as they offer greater resistance to turning, when you change the belt make sure the alternator/dynamo turns freely and the shaft has only minimal play as knackered bearings can cause them to jam up making the belt slip

New Poll