corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Taking A Car Off The Road

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Taking A Car Off The Road
Matty SRi

User status: Offline
14th Mar 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evening all...
Long story short; i made a big mistake a few weeks ago, which resulted in me being up in court today and getting banned for 9 months...
After going through a few decisions, i have decided to keep my car until the ban is up, and leave it parked on my drive.
What should i do in preparation for this? Ie, leave handbrake off, leave in gear, disconnect battery... was also thinking of getting steel wheels and putting them on so the tyres on my current wheels dont develop flat spots? Or will that not matter?
Will also buy a cover and put that over it aswell.
Anything else i should do? Car will be sitting untill christmas time, and i will obviously start it up every now and again.

Also... what else do i need to do in regards tax and insurance? Will be phoning insurance tomorrow to cancel, and the tax is up in June so im going to send that off and get the remaining monies back. Anything else i need to do with that?
Cheers
Matty SRi

14th Mar 12 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No ideas?
Corsa_Sport21

14th Mar 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorn it mainly if you are cancelling the insurance.

Must have done something pretty serious to be up in court within a few weeks and get a 9 month ban.
Sunz

14th Mar 12 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AA Guide

Hope that's of use.
MK4VF

14th Mar 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer id say the AA guide
Matty SRi

14th Mar 12 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
AA Guide

Hope that's of use.

Cheers, didnt even know about that
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Mar 12 at 00:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending who you are with and depending how many no claims you have already it might be worth asking your insurance if they do a dormant policy where the car doesn't move. Policy is usually alot less and means you can continue getting no claims.

Or sell it and use the money for cabs and buses.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Mar 12 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't cover it up, if left on the drive the wind and cover will just batter your paintwork - better off leaving it alone and keeping it clean.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JaffaTB

15th Mar 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id put some steels on it and remove anything that can easily be removed that it worth anything, I left mine parked up on my mums front while I was waiting for some cylinder head work and some twats pushed it off the drive and down the road, nicked the wheels, wind deflectors, headlights, and my opel grill!
Matty SRi

15th Mar 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't know you could do that willay, wil ask when I ring them.
Well my drive runs along the whole length of the house and garden so was going to park it up down the bottom with a tight cover over it. If i done nothing to it, then id be tempted to drive it.
Also going to do a few things with it while its off the road, get it perfect for when i have my licence back
Ben G

15th Mar 12 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how bigs your drive? you can still move it backwards and forwards if it's on private property, can't you? won't get flat spots then.

just seen the above post. in that case just start it up and go backwards and forwards every now and then.

[Edited on 15-03-2012 by Ben G]
Matty SRi

15th Mar 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's what I was going to do Ben, just to stop everything siezing.
like I say, its only till Xmas so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. Just pissed off as I've only had the car just over a month.
How do I go about cashing the tax in? Do I send it off or go to local office?
mattk

15th Mar 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines off the road most of winter. I just wash and wax it before hand, disconnect the battery and walk away. starts fine 4 or 5 months later
Matty SRi

15th Mar 12 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
mines off the road most of winter. I just wash and wax it before hand, disconnect the battery and walk away. starts fine 4 or 5 months later

Think ill just be doing this, not messing about taking loads of things off and disconnecting everything.
While its sitting there it will give me a chance to do the bits that need doing aswell. New windscreen, splitter, seat levers etc
Corsa_Sport21

15th Mar 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might also be worth doing some insurance quotes for when you get your licence back with a ban on it. Might make you change you're mind about keeping it.
c20xe.lambert

15th Mar 12 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines been off the road through the winter iv just been buying new stuff for it and keeping it mint gives you something to do when your bored as well lol
Matty SRi

15th Mar 12 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Might also be worth doing some insurance quotes for when you get your licence back with a ban on it. Might make you change you're mind about keeping it.

Ah insurance doesnt matter as either way id be keeping the car anway. Just means if i cant afford it when i get my licence back then i will sell it.

quote:
Originally posted by c20xe.lambert
mines been off the road through the winter iv just been buying new stuff for it and keeping it mint gives you something to do when your bored as well lol

Thats 1 reason im keeping it, to give me something to do. Money that i will be saving from insurance, fuel etc will be going on other things for it
c20xe.lambert

15th Mar 12 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Taking A Car Off The Road 24 database queries in 0.0131090 seconds