corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini Cooper S

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mini Cooper S
gez bay

User status: Offline
25th Mar 12 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So having decided I'm selling my DCi
Once I put fresh MOT and tax on it when they run out,
I'm putting it up for sale.

I've decided that I quite fancy a mini cooper S as my next car.
Was thinking about another 172, but I like the idea of a supercharged/ easier to tune car,for not much more money over a 172.
And they look 10x nicer.

Something like this I have in mind:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3745678.htm

Havent got a massive budget but around 4.5k they seem to be good examples and still leave money for tuning.

So, my next question to the people that already have a cooper s.
What are the main problems to look out for?

Gez
Seany

25th Mar 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chewbacca noise from the clutch, it doesn't mean its fucked they can just be noisy.
Power steering pump can go on them and abs sensors giving you the three yellow lights on dash.
Very occasional problem with the door not opening but its just a clip that comes loose.
All in all great cars and can be made to scare bigger cars for not much bucks.
First thing to do is ditch the runflats !!
gez bay

25th Mar 12 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Relatively cheap to maintain then?

AlunJ

25th Mar 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would imagine BMW parts prices surely?
Seany

25th Mar 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Services if done by a dealer are obviously a tad expensive but nothing major compared to some.
Discs and pads etc arnt really any dearer than others, and tuning doesn't cost a lot.
gez bay

25th Mar 12 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looked. £195 for a tidy timing chain kit,
Alot cheaper than a 172's belts being done.
Chain is recommended at 100k?
Fro

25th Mar 12 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love cars, was really happy with mine, build quality isn't quite up to par with BMW (flimsy stalks mainly)

Definitely ditch the runflats such a harsh/noisy ride.

think they are recommended at 100k but people usually change them when noisy.

Seany has covered the main bits tbh, cluth noise will go when it's to the floor, it's the release bearing but they can whir for thousands of miles so not too much of an issue.

Check for play in the rack as sometimes they can go, other than that very fun cars to drive!

Get one with the digi speedo in the rev counter if you can much easier/safer than looking at the large one, think they were after 2003 but can't remember exactly.
gez bay

25th Mar 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the input so far.
I don't think I'll be complaining about build quality after owning 4 French cars
I've googled common faults and there isn't many tbh so that's a bonus
Seany

25th Mar 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh the stalks arnt that flimsy, just thinner and round compared to the usual chunky square ones.
Try and get one with the chilli pack as I'm sure most of them came with a diff, and post 2003 should have a digi speedo in the rev counter and post 2005 I think is the facelift version with different lights.
If you can get one with a milltek system or the jcm and save yourself a few quid on a great sounding system.
A smaller pulley should be on your list too in the near future as the whine is addictive
gez bay

25th Mar 12 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First on the list would be a jcw exhaust, 15% pulley and filter
Graham88

26th Mar 12 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get rid of runflats, my only bad comment on the car in standard form, other than that, they are so much fun to drive! Driving my Missus one around after having big cars for a few years makes me miss a little chuckable hatch!

She's just got lowering springs on hers now but it really does handle so well, I put Hankook V12's on it to ditch the run flats and it improved it so much and it doesn't tramline like it used too.

I'd love to put a smaller pulley on it but it's not my car so I resent spending too much money on it
Steve
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the noise is present with clutch up but disappears when clutch down it won't ne release bearing. More likely input shaft bearings
richc

26th Mar 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloke at work has one - alternator went at 42k? Dunno if its common or unlucky? i think it does high 20's mpg wise and he drives like a fart (nearly 50 year old).
Rich7585

26th Mar 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Things to look out for on buying a used S:-

1) Rust on the door sills, this was more common a problem on models before 2003/4.

2) Mushrooming on the front strut tops, if the car has been driven hard on rough roads, the runflats & sports suspension can damage this area. Lift the bonnet, crouch down and look at the metal of the strut top from, it should be perfectly flat with only 1 or 2 ribs for strength. If the metal is domed at all, it could indicate a hard driving previous life!!

3) boot hinges rusting can be a problem on earlier models.

4) clutch as mentioned previously. The Dual Mass fly wheel is generally more of a problem than the clutch itself, they are prone to failure & can rattle (mine does and has done for the last 18 months but there is plenty of evidence to show that if you replace them they generally start rattling within 3-4 months anyway!), the general thinking is to wait until the clutch fails and replace it all at the same time. This is a BIG bill though £1500+ potentially.

5) Main beam lighting is not that good, I have uprated bulbs in the lights and then run a pair of KC Hillite long range auxillary lights, permanently wired into the main beam circuit, which gives you much better forward vision at night and alot more confidence playing on the back roads ;-)

6) as mentioned most models do not have exactly the build quality you would expect from a BMW designed & built car but it is nothing serious and if you can live with a few sqeaks & rattles from the interior, you'll be fine, I have the Harmon Kardon upgraded stereo in mine which helps drown out the rattles & I would definately recommend if you can find one with it!!)

Aircon is definately worth checking if fitted (not standard on cars without the Chilli pack), these parts can be expensive ie. new condensor = approx £580 from BMW, cheaper versions elsewhere though (see below point).

Facelifted models from mid 05+ had the larger supercharger from the JCW version and hence a power hike from 163 to 170bhp.

Spares are not too extortionate and there are now plenty of independants supplying OEM parts a lot cheaper than going direct to BMW (ie, replacement track rod end from BMW = £69 per side, from local motor factors the same genuine Delphi part is £33 per side!!!

Loads of tuning options out there, personally would recommend Lohen (birmingham way somewhere!) & Vecchio Engineering (Bedford area), who I have used and been very pleased with.

They are a pig to keep clean, especially the back end, for some reason they are as aerodynamically efficient as a brick. this means lots of wind noise up front at motorway speeds and normal road grime gets plastered all over the rear bumper and tailgate even in perfectly dry weather within 2-3 days of a full clean. They massacre bugs in the summer due to a near vertical windscreen, so you will go through nearly as much screen wash as you do petrol....

I do a 22mile (round trip) commute daily on A & B roads and use approx £60-70 of fuel per week, including running around at the weekends. I average about 28-30mpg per tank but on long distance runs with the Cruise control on have got it up to 34-35mpg (motorways @ circa 70-75mph). I do enjoy my driving & will admit to having a heavy right foot though!!

All that said, I LOVE IT!! It is a stunning cabin to be in and drive. It handles superbly, sounds amazing (even with the std exhaust) supercharger whine all the way up through the range and then popping and banging on overun & coming down through the gears.

If you can live with a 2+2 which has a severe lack or rear passenger space and a harsh ride in the back the rear seats right over the back axle (i don't care I don't ever sit there!!), looks & sounds stunning, is great fun to drive & you are preppared to give up your drink/drug habit to pay for the fuel you will love it.

Oh yeah DITCH THE RUNFLATS AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!! It completely & unbelievably transforms the handling.
rossnomore

26th Mar 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum has one. My sister also has one.
that is all...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini Cooper S 23 database queries in 0.0155399 seconds