corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » discovery 3s?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author discovery 3s?
Jonny.K

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 12 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right fed up ofmy dad n the bird complaning about me buying "buckets of shit" and have been thinkin of buyin a sensible car as im gettin bored of the polices "RANDOM BLOOODY STOP CHECKS"anyway the car in questions is the landrover discovery 3 always loved them as i think they have an awesome presence on the road and imo are a far better looking and functioning car then the range rover sport. just wondered if anyone had any personal experience with them as theyv taken a fair drop in price and thinking of buyin one at the end of the year for insurance and financial reasons itl have ti be the end of the year
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

23rd Apr 12 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want a Disco 3 at 19? I'd imagine you'll get pulled just as often as it'll look like you've stolen it
nathy_87

23rd Apr 12 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What car do you have at the moment?
Corsa_Sport21

23rd Apr 12 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

End of the year is 8 months away, i would probably just leave it for now then have a think about it nearer the time as you will more than likely want something else.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the missus have one; 54 plate HSE in Buckingham Blue, 2.7 TDV6. I'd have another but not an auto, avoid an auto at all costs IMO with the earlier 2.7 models; the later 3.0 didn't have the same issue.

Things to watch out for:

- Gearbox problems on the autobox. The oil cooler is built onto the side of the gearbox, the intersection between the coolant system and gearbox rots and lets coolant into the gearbox shagging the torque convertor causing the dredded shuddering associated with loads of early model Disco 3s. Its fixable but with quotes ranging from £2,500 to £8,000 its expensive. These quotes include not only fixing the problem but also a modification to stop it happening again.

Fortunately, when we thought our's had this problem, it turned out to be a faulty EGR valve on bank 1. We've had the blanking kit fitted instead and now get better mpg than before.

They return terrible mpg for short journeys 19-22mpg but a long run will see 30+. We got 28mpg doing 1800miles to the Alps and back, never dropping below 85-90mph on the French side and carrying 4 people + luggae plus skis and boards which I thought was pretty good.

They're cheaper at this time of year than Autumn/Winter by upto £1500 it appears as well.

Our's and the Missus' Mum's

and this one best shows the colour
RichR
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aside from that, its a cracking car, brilliant for the drive through France; really comfy and great visibility. The sixth and seventh seats have come in really handy as well a few times. I'd definitely have another but will wait until the D4 has come down in price now. Having driven both frequently, I'd have this over an RRS for the pure reason that for the size of car, the RRS boot is tiny. The D3 feels bigger in every way and also feels like it has more road presence. More than capable for the level of off roading we use it for and pulls a horse box sized trailer with ease
ed

24th Apr 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to drive a 2.7 TDV6 (auto) at an old job I had. Was the slowest, heaviest piece of crap I'd ever driven, the throttle pedal in it was merely a volume control for engine noise. I did used to like the ride height button though, made sitting in traffic quite fun
RichR
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is weirdly something which appears to be wrong with our's. Everyone comments on how rapid it feels; even going from her Mum's to our's, you feel a massive difference between the two even though they're the same model, spec and mileage. Not sure if its stuck in the sport mode of the box as when you shift across, it seemingly makes no difference unlike the other one which does make a noticeable difference
ed

24th Apr 12 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another fine example of Whitley's finest engineers at work then Perhaps the one I drove was fucked too...
SportBoy

24th Apr 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Egr Valves are a common fvckup on the tdv6 i believe which affects the performance .. there are 2 of them aswell so not a really cheap fix.

[Edited on 24-04-2012 by SportBoy]
RichR
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£50 to fix, take out EGR valve, fit blanking plate - simples
RichR
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Another fine example of Whitley's finest engineers at work then Perhaps the one I drove was fucked too...

wouldn't surprise me, I've not driven two which felt alike.
SportBoy

24th Apr 12 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
£50 to fix, take out EGR valve, fit blanking plate - simples

ahh fair enough
RichR
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Did you apply for the J/LR Graduate scheme?
ed

24th Apr 12 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup. For a company who is claiming to be desperate for new designers and engineers to join, they sure as hell know how to make people want to fuck them off and look else where.
Jonny.K

24th Apr 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup 19 drive a corsa sport and soon to have my c20let corsa on the road but want something less chavy! so to speak it sounds daft but there are 2 choices either a GTE or a disco 3 all depends on how sensible im fleeing at the time some may mock me for that comment but fuck it haha plus my dad said hed happily help me out money wise for a sensible car n disco 3 seems like a sensible car to me haha
silvercorsabee

24th Apr 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do it bud ur my aberdeen corsa B companion haha

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » discovery 3s? 23 database queries in 0.0898769 seconds