corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » hammerite - spray or brush on?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author hammerite - spray or brush on?
Ben G

User status: Offline
4th May 12 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought some black brush on hammerite for my calipers but it was also available in spray form.

i'm thinking about doing the calipers red now. would the spray give a better finish/be easier to apply?

i guess the only problem with the spray on is needing to remove the caliper/pads from the disk?
D0NN3R

4th May 12 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get a good finsh with a brush and it will be thicker
i did 3 coats on mine
LIAM HADDOW

4th May 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brush i would say mate, friend of mine done his red with spray and it ended up more pink than red
Jamie-C

4th May 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can get a good enough finish with a brush for calipers. Dries streak free and looks spot on. We spray them in work though then clearcoat them, comes out great.

We don't remove them, just mask 'em up.
Ben G

4th May 12 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers.

i've used the brush on stuff before on my focus and it wasn't the most perfect of jobs, hence wondering whether to remove them. but it's a ballache.

red brush on it is then will just have to take my time.
sc0ott

5th May 12 at 06:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

International japlac red from b&q is also quite good. Isnt as quick as hammerite at drying but give it a google search for pictures of peoples calipers.
Steve
Premium Member

5th May 12 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take them apart and do them will look a million times better also not red silver
sparcost3

5th May 12 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

definatley brush it without a doubt, take a look at my project thread i did my whole interior with hamerite on a foam roller came out ace.. same for calipers and drums.. i tried the spray and it came out pink..... cant even tell its rollered/brushed on tbh.
Ben G

5th May 12 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Take them apart and do them will look a million times better also not red silver

whats wrong with red? they will look good behind black wheels. the calipers aren't the size of milk bottle lids so should be fine.
kennySRi

5th May 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would do them black, imo you're doing these little things to the car that is making it a little bit tacky. It's a really nice car and should be left standard, or with some factory extras. I know it's your car and it's your choice, just dont want to this car go down the wrong route.

As said use a brush, it looks a bit crap at first but once it's dried they will look spot on!
Steve
Premium Member

5th May 12 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just that red I associate with brembos and they aren't lol and whenever I see it on other cars I just think he wants some brembos but cant afford them lol
Ben G

5th May 12 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
I would do them black, imo you're doing these little things to the car that is making it a little bit tacky. It's a really nice car and should be left standard, or with some factory extras. I know it's your car and it's your choice, just dont want to this car go down the wrong route.

As said use a brush, it looks a bit crap at first but once it's dried they will look spot on!

so anything with red brakes is tacky? i've hardly done anything to the car anyway, just stuff i want to do it isn't like i've stuck a badboy spoiler on the back.
kennySRi

5th May 12 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi

so anything with red brakes is tacky? i've hardly done anything to the car anyway, just stuff i want to do it isn't like i've stuck a badboy spoiler on the back.

Red painted standard calipers, yes It's not tacky yet, i really like the car but with the lights, and the grill and now this, even though they are decent enough mods i just feel that it's just the start of many things like it and it may get too much. Maybe im just expecting the worse so just ignore me

I still say black would look better and if you're keeping your wheels black then maybe silver would be better for the calipers
Nath

5th May 12 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Silver gets my vote. Looks clean and new.
Jambo

5th May 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silver here too
Ben G

5th May 12 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going black now anyway i hardly ever clean the brakes or take the wheels off so they will be caked in brake dust and look crap, so might aswell be black than rusty.
chrisn1234

5th May 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always brush it ends up lasting alot longer in my experience

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » hammerite - spray or brush on? 23 database queries in 0.0126441 seconds