corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Scam....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scam....
BYRON

User status: Offline
   14th May 12 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Selling a car via AT and after an inital email asking if the car was for sale, I recieved this email;

Hi there

thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that its in a good state and that I will not be dissapointed with it. Im ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, I wanted to buy this for someone very close to me, but the issue is I am an oceanographer and I do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and leaving any moment now. The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But i am able to access email anytime as we will make use of my laptop so my only qucikest payment option is paypal as I can send money via paypal anytime. since im requesting this transaction to be done via paypal I will be responsible or all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you dont have an account with paypal its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. just log onto www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will get it to my sons location safely, so I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Apart from the fact it is clearly a scammer, how shall I reply?

chrisritch

14th May 12 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck off and die you cunt

Something like that
James

14th May 12 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't believe that scammers still haven't progressed from these obvious scams.
Fro

14th May 12 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might go over there and act as a consultant
BYRON

14th May 12 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is so badly done, surely it is far from convincing for even a 'tard to work out?

For arguement sake, how would the paypal thing work as surely the seller wouldnt release the car until funds have cleared and they appear in their current account after transferring them from PP?

I wouldnt mind taking £7k of a nigerian and selling the car elsewhere but am I missing something?
Fro

14th May 12 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paypal can reverse the transaction and debit your account despite you withdrawing the money.

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by Fro]
LeeM

14th May 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've read the exact same email word for word a couple of months ago, may have been on here or another forum, can't remember
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Paypal can reverse the transaction and debit your account despite you withdrawing the money.

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by Fro]

Sometimes they're even more pathetic and spoof a paypal email expecting you to fall for it.
LeeM

14th May 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"oceanographer" http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=631210&highlight=1&pid=8366109#pid8366109
BYRON

14th May 12 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had no intention of entertaining this as genuine approach but it really fucks me off that given it happens - people must fall for this?
BarnshaW

14th May 12 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wonder if you actually went through with it who would come to pick it up, if i was rich enough i would lose the couple of grand, kidnap whoever turns up and hold them at ransom for twice the price of car
VegasPhil
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always get some sort of car agency call me via Auto Trader too.

They say something pathetic like we have a guaranteed buyer for the car you just need to sign up and pay £X amount for us to introduce them.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
BYRON

14th May 12 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
i wonder if you actually went through with it who would come to pick it up, if i was rich enough i would lose the couple of grand, kidnap whoever turns up and hold them at ransom for twice the price of car

I did think this. Maybe it is the same people that I saw at the refuse tip at the weekend loading a 7.5t wagon top to bottom with very very old televisions?
Liam-Wilko

14th May 12 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

send him a reply and say that you have informed the police on the scam.

he will shit his self asspecial if you say you have his IP address and location
Liam-Wilko

14th May 12 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
I always get some sort of car agency call me via Auto Trader too.

They say something pathetic like we have a guaranteed buyer for the car you just need to sign up and pay £X amount for us to introduce them.

that is stupid my reply to that would be you introduce me and i will then sign up
BeArDy

14th May 12 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

- Accept his offer.
- Get him to pay threw paypal.
- When he wants an address to collect the car is at your work as it was the only place to leave it while it sold and your a policeman so he can come to the station anytime
AndyCorsaSport

14th May 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
- Accept his offer.
- Get him to pay threw paypal.
- When he wants an address to collect the car is at your work as it was the only place to leave it while it sold and your a policeman so he can come to the station anytime

ryan docherty

14th May 12 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate i had the exact mails from a guy buyn ma wheels and he wanted me to pay threw american express or suhin shady character
sc0ott

14th May 12 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not wait until it clears and then transfer to your bank account?
am4nf

14th May 12 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They wouldnt come and collect the car, the scam goes something like he cant pay the courier via paypal, so can he paypal money to you and then you western union it to the moving company, you send the money, they withdraw the paypal, you loose the delivery fee, simples
Fro

15th May 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Can you not wait until it clears and then transfer to your bank account?

Just because it has cleared doesn't mean paypal cannot reverse it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Scam.... 24 database queries in 0.1685519 seconds