corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2001 Impreza's, what to look out for?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2001 Impreza's, what to look out for?
jibjob

User status: Offline
14th May 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at a 2001 Y reg 2.0 GX non-turbo estate and apart from the usual what are the things to look out for?

As far as i'm aware the boxer engines are fairly reliable if kept seviced and in good condition. The car in question has done 72,000 miles for any issues that may be mileage related. If i bought it then it would be getting a full service and probably the cam belt done just as a precaution.

Also what are peoples opinions on these cars? I'm looking at them for a fairly spacious, good looking, cheap daily driver as well as a good tow car when the time comes to it. The insurance is fairly cheap, the space inside is ample, I like the look of this shape Impreza, the interior is nice, its a lot of car for the money and being a non-turbo it should hopefully be good on fuel. I looked at alternatives but couldn't think of anything that ticked as many boxes as this did.
CORSA NUT

14th May 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What to look for??? A turbo you fanny

Seriously though there pretty much bulletproof as long as its been serviced and like you said a cambelt would be handy. MPG won't be as fantastic as you'd think either.
jibjob

14th May 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A turbo would be lovely but cost wise its just not practical As a daily driver as well possible tow car it would cost a fortune in fuel and insurance. What sort of MPG would i be looking at average driving from a non-turbo and a turbo?
scottyp1989

14th May 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its still not going to be any good on fuel tbh, bet you will still struggle to get high 20's, and there are better tow cars out there for decent money,

Turbo you will still get low 20's but a standard non turbo will not sound like a turbo without modifications

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by scottyp1989]
John

14th May 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any german diesel will tick all the boxes and be a better car.
jibjob

14th May 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll only be for towing a jetski in summer when it does get used as a tow car but I need it to be able to do that easily up and down some steep hills and for at least 100 miles without any problems. The rest of the time it would just be a spacious daily driver. What cars would you suggest as alternatives?

The German diesels tick all the boxes but all seem to be a lot of money for even a base spec model with high mileage. For example the Impreza is just over £1000, 72,000miles on the clock, reliable, good looking, good spec whereas for similar money a Passat diesel of similar spec is less good looking (in my opinion) and has almost twice the miles. The Passat will be better on fuel but to get one with similar mileage to the Impreza i'm looking about another £1500. Is it worth the extra money just for better fuel economy?
scottyp1989

14th May 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But what do you actually get with the subaru, there nothing special and quite under powerd, any other estate will be just as big, if not bigger and still have and do everything you want. TBH pasats/golfs etc have high milage for a reason, because they are good at what they do and run just as good at 250k as they did at 50k if looked after
jibjob

14th May 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're nothing special but they're something different. They are only 125bhp but i'm not too interested in power as long as it's powerful enough to tow a small trailor with ease.
scottyp1989

14th May 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye will tow a small trailer but doubt you would get much over 25mpg while doing so, if you even get that
jibjob

14th May 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The turbo is down as 29mpg so hopefully will get a bit more than that. I'm used to low MPG figures anyway so its not really an issue i just dont want them to be ridiculous

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by jibjob]
Matty SRi

14th May 12 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vectra estate not be better?
jibjob

14th May 12 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought about them but i've heard nothing but bad things from friends that have had them.
scottyp1989

14th May 12 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vectras aint bad something like a golf estate, a4, a6, passat, c5 loads to choose from tbh just put estate in ebay
brocade16vchris

14th May 12 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my parents have an 03 legacy with the same engine, it isnt driven light footed, it tows trailers, often has large loads in boot and does light offroading, yet still averages 30 mpg, will admit not as quick as the 09 wrx in the family though!
Matty SRi

14th May 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh. Dont know about any problems but id prefer the looks and comfyness of a vectra estate compared to a non turbo impreza.

Eg. http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vauxhall-vectra-26-sri-estate/102229766

Or how about a Civic Vti Aerodeck? Always liked them personally.

Civic's look much better imo

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by Matty SRi]
scottyp1989

14th May 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laguna estate on ebay now, 2.2 dti privalage, 02 plate 85k, full leathers, climate comtroll, cruise controll, all electric, heated leather seats and parking sensores for £950
jibjob

14th May 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a fan of the older Vectra such as the one posted and the insurance is a lot more than the Impreza. I'm not a massive fan of the Golf estate either really. I like the A4's but they're a lot of money even if they do last forever!

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about any Subaru to be honest only good things!

I don't like the Civic's, i've seen too many of the saloons with shoddy bodykits or used as delivery drivers cars. Just put me off Civics completely.

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by jibjob]
scottyp1989

14th May 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Subarus arnt bad cars there are just better cars out there
harrisp

15th May 12 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Volvo estate with a t5 engine.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2001 Impreza's, what to look out for? 23 database queries in 0.0120749 seconds