corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Customs charges for car parts from the US

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Customs charges for car parts from the US
SetH

User status: Offline
24th May 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of buying some parts from ECS tuning in the States.

After pricing up the parts and accounting for postage the total price is still competitive with similar parts from a UK supply except the ECS stuff is better.

However....

How do I calculate the customs charges? Have been through the HM revenue and customs site and cant find anything tangible.

Value will be £460

any ideas? is there a workaround ie if supplier labels it as gift
daymoon
Premium Member

24th May 12 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Add VAT...

They could put "Sample" I think, then you don't have to pay tax... i THINK!

[Edited on 24-05-2012 by daymoon]
ed

24th May 12 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There will be VAT and import tax. Marking as gift or sample is a little dodgy when they aren't and reputable companies normally refuse to do it.

I recently ordered something from the states that was about $800 and the taxes for it worked out at something like £120.
Rob E

24th May 12 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, the UK courier will try to add a surcharge onto of the customs fees that will be outstanding when they attempt to deliver the parts. You can legally tell them to stick these charges up their arse which can save you a few quid

Edit: Here is the link for anyone interested in how to avoid paying the surcharges

[Edited on 24-05-2012 by Rob E]
Sam
Premium Member

25th May 12 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bullshit - no you can't "legally" tell them to stick the charges up their arse.

If you don't pay, you don't get your parcel - simple.

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/customs-information?campaignid=customs_redirect

quote:
If you are receiving a package from overseas (unless it’s from another EU Country), please be aware that it may incur customs charges. Any package assessed by HM Revenue and customs as being liable for customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.

Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £18 are liable to import VAT. Please note that with effect from 1 November 2011 the £18 threshold will be reduced to £15. Gifts between private individuals over the value of £40 are also liable for VAT. Goods and gifts over these values may also be liable for customs duty. You no longer have to pay customs duty for goods up to the value of £135, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm#5

quote:
Customs Duty
If you're ordering goods from outside the EU, any Customs Duty must be paid by the recipient once the goods have arrived in the UK but before the goods are delivered.

Import VAT

If you're ordering goods from outside the EU, any Import VAT must be paid by the recipient once the goods have arrived in the UK but before the goods are delivered.

In addition, there may also be a handling fee to pay to the carrier.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/paying-tax.htm

quote:
If you're sending or receiving goods by post for your personal use from outside the European Union (EU), you'll have to pay any tax and/or duty once the goods arrive in the UK. Normally Royal Mail/Parcelforce will pay what's due on your behalf and may charge a handling fee which you must pay before your parcel can be delivered.

Also - the bit in that forum post about "you will receive a seperate invoice for the Parcelforce admin charges a few days after you receive your parcel" is also bullshit - I know for a FACT that you get that invoice/letter BEFORE they deliver the parcel to you!

And before anyone moans about me simply copying and pasting shit off some forum - I used to work for DHL dealing with Duty & VAT queries every single day so I know what I am talking about, I just linked the relevant information from the RM and HMRC websites as proof.

[Edited on 25-05-2012 by Sam]
Sam
Premium Member

25th May 12 at 06:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyway - to answer your original post Mark, check this site out:

http://www.dutycalculator.com
SXI - Matt

25th May 12 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure it's the same as was clothes, my dad ordered some shirts and boots from the states, totalled £330 and when ups turned up there was a £100 charge to pay. Not sure whether this was some ridiculous ups charge but when questioned it at the door he said it was customs so be careful
Jambo

25th May 12 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you buying?
SetH

25th May 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1337 thread pwnage by Sam, thanks mate

Jambo I am buying one of those dolls
Gary
Premium Member

25th May 12 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have them mark it as samples.
John

25th May 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's all rubbish is it not, they get VAT and duty applied as per value, nothing to do with gift, just that a lot of the time you get away with it.
Gary
Premium Member

25th May 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vat will always be applied.

Duty can be avoided, but avoiding duty normally means your goods arnt insured by the usps etc
Sam
Premium Member

25th May 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Have them mark it as samples.

Most legit companies will refuse to do this as it's illegal.
Gary
Premium Member

25th May 12 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never said it wasn't

Duty is only a few % anyway. I used to add 25% to the price and was never far wrong.
A2H GO

25th May 12 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I first started importing stuff regularly I was paying loads in import tax/duty but now just ask them to mark the value as $30 which they're happy to do if it results in my repeat custom , not been charged since.

Whether the company in question will be willing to do this for you is a different question.

[Edited on 25-05-2012 by A2H GO]
CORSA NUT

26th May 12 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember buying a 60's maple neck for my old Fender Strat from the states. It was £250 but ended up costing me about £320 after all the frieght and taxes
emicen

27th May 12 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
When I first started importing stuff regularly I was paying loads in import tax/duty but now just ask them to mark the value as $30 which they're happy to do if it results in my repeat custom , not been charged since.

Whether the company in question will be willing to do this for you is a different question.

[Edited on 25-05-2012 by A2H GO]

...which limits the insured value to $30

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Customs charges for car parts from the US 23 database queries in 0.4715092 seconds