corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New Cookies law....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Cookies law....
Whittie

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 12 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously heard about this last month, but didn't pay much attention to it

Do every site now need an accept or decline cookies on it?! Noticed more and more sites asking now (retailers).

Anybody done their website etc? What did you have to add in
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure I've been on other sites (although the particular ones don't spring to mind) where they just have a banner that slides up and basically says this site uses cookies along with a link to the T&C's and says you must accept to use the website.

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by Brett]
Whittie

22nd Jun 12 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it seems to be the same message im seeing, clearly a bit of code to be added in somewhere on the index page.

You not added it on any sites you've done then Brett?
ed

22nd Jun 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not adding any notices to any sites I build. It's an ill thought out law that the rule makers themselves have said is unenforceable.
Dom

22nd Jun 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Ed said. I wouldn't worry about it and it's highly unlikely anything will come of it if you didn't carry a notice on your sites.
Whittie

22nd Jun 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only bothered as someone asked me to put the accept / decline on their site. Just wondering if its a standard bit of code, or just a link to say if you don't like out cookies click here, and it'll end session?!
Dom

22nd Jun 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what i understand (this could be wrong) you can use certain (you're suppose to do a cookie audit on the site to determine what is 'essential') stored cookies if they are part of the core functionality of your website and disabling would prevent the site from functioning. In which case you have to display the usual "we use cookies, don't like it then GTF" message.
Otherwise you have to prompt the user that use X and Y cookies and provide them with the option of accepting or disabling (disabling would obviously disable non-essential cookies on your site).

However, i've also read just displaying a "we use cookies" message is perfectly acceptable and it's up to the user whether to accept or not use the site.

It's a mess either way and it's going to be hard to monitor and enforce, hence why i don't bother with it.

Edit - there are a handful of decent jquery plugins about - cookiecuttr.com, michaelwright.me/cPrompt, cookiesdirective.com and cookieguard.eu.

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by Dom]
Whittie

22nd Jun 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has clearly been thought up by somebody who's a fucking moron.

Just going to stick on the site "We use cookies, deal with it"
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Jun 12 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some discussion already here -

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=636030

On the whole, most of what I've read is poorly written.

Even in the ICO guidance video, the guy says a monetary penalty would be unlikely.

Asking users something and then not being able to store their answer, meaning you need to ask them again is terrible UI.

I already did a cookie audit when I chose the software and every time I've made modifications to it I've considered the implications of what is stored/sent/received.

If you programmed the app properly in the first place, its all essential.

Incidently, the ICO advice on what constitutes essential uses basket items in a shopping cart as the example. That's either dumbed down so much it just makes them look silly, or they actually are silly.

No mention of user states, no mention of authentication, session stuff is all wrong - talks about it expiring when the browser closes which would be the case for a 401 type response which is something else entirely. If a student had handed that in as a piece of research I would have failed it.

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by Ian]
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
This has clearly been thought up by somebody who's a fucking moron.

Agreed. Just think people, our taxes go towards paying for bullshit like this!
Rob_Quads

22nd Jun 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the governments sites them selves can't event comply I would not worry about making any changes
AlunJ

23rd Jun 12 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's fucking irritating, I know that much

New Poll