corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » rear wheel bearing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rear wheel bearing
Root

User status: Offline
5th Jul 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Figured out it's the N/S rear wheel bearing that's making a lot of noise.

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest method of replacing it.
The bearings can obviously be bought for next to nothing, but I'm concerned about garage costs so I have a few questions if you guys don't mind?

-How long does it take to change 1 rear bearing?
-How much will a typical garage charge if I supply the bearing kit?
-Can I change the entire stub axle/drum for a scrapyard replacement with a good bearing?
-Does my GLS 1.0 12v have ABS? Has other luxuries like leccy windows/mirrors, pas.
-If so, which do I change? stub axle/drum? I'm not sure how the assembly comes apart.
-Will I be able to remove these parts without burning gear?

Thanks, btw I don't care about the "may as well get a new bearing instead of 2nd hand one in a stub axle". As long as it works, for the time being that's my main concern; money is an issue at the moment, thank you

The noise only really is noticable at 30mph+ I don't travel faster than 40 as I daren't with a dodgy wheel bearing.
There's no play in the wheel when I wobble it up&down or side to side but it's definitely the bearing noise

[Edited on 05-07-2012 by Root]
johnhara1

5th Jul 12 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy bearing, take drum off, take bearing and drum to garage and give one of the lads a tenna to press it in. This is what i always do.

Or

Go to scrap yard, buy drum with bearing in for a tenna, go home, put new drum on, hope bearing is ok.
johnhara1

5th Jul 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will send you a good drum with bearing in and a stub axle (incase it's damaged) for £25 posted if you like.
Root

5th Jul 12 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
Buy bearing, take drum off, take bearing and drum to garage and give one of the lads a tenna to press it in. This is what i always do.

Or

Go to scrap yard, buy drum with bearing in for a tenna, go home, put new drum on, hope bearing is ok.

but if it's not ok, they mark it before they give you it so if its not ok, take back for one that is good.

If I went down the first route, is it easy to get the entire drum off? I've only ever gotten half of a corsa drum off for changing the shoes before.

Cheers
Root

5th Jul 12 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So just read the Haynes, so the outer bearing literally falls out and then the drum is removable?
Root

5th Jul 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone please reply so I can get this problem sorted, looking forward to getting the repairs out the way, so I can fully service her, then I can concentrate on things I want for the car, rather than things I need.

Thanks
tom130691
Premium Member

5th Jul 12 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the massive nut off,
pull the drum off,
the bearings will fall out,
hammer the traces out with a punch (bit the bearing sits on)

hammer new traces in using the old ones,
pack the new bearings with grease lots of it,
refits as it came off,
dont over tighten the castle nut,

takes around half hour

New Poll