corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does polishing paint reduce strength?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does polishing paint reduce strength?
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 12 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above really.

We're looking at buying a nearly new car, an ex demo, but while it's only done 300 km's in 6 months the paint work is swirled to fuck. Looks like the car is wrapped in cobwebs.

Now, the dealer has promised to polish it before we take delivery, but as polishing is just a low form of sanding, I'm under the impression that it's best not to polish a car too much and too often?

What I'm worried about is:

a) That the paint will be less resistant to small scratches
b) That the paint will generally have a reduced life an perhaps fade more easily

Am I being paranoid?

Whittie

23rd Jul 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're being too paranoid mate
BarnshaW

23rd Jul 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paranoid
Phillips_91

23rd Jul 12 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paranoid, i polished my corsa pretty much every other weekend and the paint was fine
Tomnova16
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be fine

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'll await more replies for a more uniform answer...

Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what they do to polish it, if they take too much off they could burn through the clear coat but I'm guessing they'll just use a filler polish which will mask the scratches so they'll show up again after a few washes. Personally I'd ask for discount and take it to a proper body shop/detailing place
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J
Personally I'd ask for discount and take it to a proper body shop/detailing place

We're buying it from the dealer my wife works at, so there's no additional discount to be had.

We do get a pretty fair deal, so I might decide to take it as is and source down my own body shop.
I just didn't want to buy a new car with the equivalent of a 10 year old paint job.

I told her to ask if they do the polishing them selves or have a pro come in, but she said that would be too rude as it's implying they won't do a proper job...

nathy_87

23rd Jul 12 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just think mate do professional detailers like blukoo's brother or rich think like that? They wouldn't be in a job otherwise.
John

23rd Jul 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't reduce the strength but it will take some of the clearcoat off.

You could eventually go through it but one proper polish won't.
3CorsaMeal

23rd Jul 12 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spend some time alone with the car and a paint depth gauge in some dealership back room, to decide if you want to reject the car or not.

///vxrmarc
Rich H

23rd Jul 12 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My concern personally would be if that the car already looks like that, has the dealer already 'prepped' it? If so, don't let them have another go as they clearly don't know what they're doing.

Providing it's machine polished properly it won't affect the 'toughness' of the clearcoat, if it's done badly they may compromise clearcoat levels to a point that there won't be much scope for any future machine work (e.g in the event of picking up some light hedge scratches) or strike through on a panel edge / angled body part.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Rich, that really helped ease me out of my paranoia...

I don't think the car has been prepped, I just think they've washed it weekly as it was a demo stood outside for six months.

It's not even decided yet that we'll take the car, but if we do, I think I'll ask them not to prep it and find a guy I feel I can trust with the job.

baza31

23rd Jul 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't worry, few trips to supermarket and swirls be least of ur problem. My lass's motor is new n got about 3 door marks and chipped screen and mark on bonnet in space of 3 months
Rich H

23rd Jul 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Thanks Rich, that really helped ease me out of my paranoia...

I don't think the car has been prepped, I just think they've washed it weekly as it was a demo stood outside for six months.

It's not even decided yet that we'll take the car, but if we do, I think I'll ask them not to prep it and find a guy I feel I can trust with the job.

It wasn't meant to scare you, just make you aware that asking for the car to be machine polished by the wrong person could be an expensive mistake that's all! Sorry!
Benn

23rd Jul 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will lose micros of paint, your talking .000001mm kinda thing. Nothing to even think about. Use it to get discount, then get some one in the know to "detail" the car for you, you'll get a better job and it will be right
Scotty_B

24th Jul 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I bought my car I warned the dealer not to lay a finger on it after I'd seen it or the deal was off.

I picked it up 2 days later and it needed a good valet.
SXI - Matt

24th Jul 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound as paranoid as I used to get about polishing car's ect. If you could see how I do it now. Lashing of Magnum (washing up liquid) wash mitt from the shed jobs a goodun

My paint isn't going to get any worse either bless it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does polishing paint reduce strength? 24 database queries in 0.0144510 seconds