corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Best Man

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Best Man
Marc

User status: Offline
7th Sep 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who has done it?

I am best man at my brother's wedding tomorrow. Had a rehearsal last weekend in the church. I'm not sure if this is how it always works, but I have to stand throughout the ceremony, after handing the rings over I have to remain standing then move some stools away. I am only allowed to sit when the vicar goes to pulpit to talk

I was hoping he would ask a mate and I was off the hook!

I think I may be more nervous about that than the speech actually! I only did it on Monday, pretty difficult, partly because my brother is a knob 90% of the time and partly because I couldn't think of much to keep it lighthearted. I found a speech on a wedding planning website and re wrote mine around that, I actually did re write it btw, but I needed to see what was expected! I've kept it pretty short as I really don't want to be up there at the night do reading to loads of people!

How did others find it?
Edd

7th Sep 12 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done it once and really enjoyed it, dont go too short though you're the highlight of the day for most
Nath

7th Sep 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been an usher. Now that was easy
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

7th Sep 12 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant remember when i could sit down

think its right after you hand the rings over

keep them in your jacket pocket, makes it easier to get at
baza31

7th Sep 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just chill and enjoy the day don't worry about it . I think alot of weddings have got too serious and formal ( like rehearsing etc ) probably reason I've never had anything to do with the organising
adiohead

7th Sep 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donedid
Ben J

7th Sep 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it for my best mate. Speech went down a storm tbf.
Neil

7th Sep 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done it quite recently. Only really had to stand to give the rings over, then to be a 'witness'. Was crapping myself about the speech but it went really well. Just relax and enjoy the day.. and have a stiff drink before your speech
Ryan

7th Sep 12 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it last week! I sat down after handing the rings over. And the speech is easy once you start speaking, I just took advantage of the champagne reception beforehand
Carl

7th Sep 12 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it too, probably the most pressure of the wedding, especially with pals like mine.
Matt L

8th Sep 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to do it for my brother next year, not looking forward to the speech lol.
Rich H

8th Sep 12 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did in March for a mate in South Africa, and I am again for another mate in February

Speech is the bit I hate. Wedding in SA was very low key - literally about 25 people and even then I hated doing the speech. The one in February is to about 120 people

I stood at the front with the groom till the bride came in, then sat down, then was asked to come back up at the relevant time to hand over the rings - so a slightly 'unusual' way of doing things I think? I have to admit I'm not really sure how it's all meant to be done!

I used this site for speech ideas btw: http://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-speeches/example_best-man_speeches_1/
Eck
Premium Member

8th Sep 12 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did it a couple of months ago. I missed the rehearsal so didn't have a clue what to do really But aye, you stand for the rings then sit down normally. It's a piece of piss. I wrote my speech the day before
Jas

8th Sep 12 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope, only an usher
Carl

8th Sep 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep a note of funny stories, I used to got them in my phone etc, then when you come to write the speech think if it will offend anyone. i started mine off slightly offensive, mother of the bride had a right face on; started off with;

unlike me i've put some time and effort into this speech, I even I visited an old folks home at work and practised in front of a live audience there. I think it went well, they all pissed themselves anyway.
Twiggy

8th Sep 12 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the speech and dentist are up there with the worst things ever!
Marc

9th Sep 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went really well. Got laughs and had people complimenting me all night. My brother was relieved it wasn't crude too.
Russ

9th Sep 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id be a great best man. I'm hilarious and taking the piss out of people is my speciality.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Best Man 23 database queries in 0.0101750 seconds