corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help moving windows to another hard drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help moving windows to another hard drive
ajscorsa

User status: Offline
24th Sep 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically i have windows on my c drive which is a 1.5tb and is almost full. I have 1.2tb worth of stuff on it I need to keep and I need to add to it. Just got a 500gb drive off a friend for free, is there any way I can move windows from c drive to my new drive and keep all my settings and installs etc and free up the space on my c drive?

sorry if that doesnt make sense
Dom

24th Sep 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Backup the 1.2TB of stuff (to get the system drive under 500GB), then clone and move to the 500GB drive. Alternatively, remove the 1.5TB, reinstall Windows on the 500GB then take it all from there.
ajscorsa

24th Sep 12 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the best program to use to clone a hard drive? ive got a 1tb external drive I can move most of the stuff to leaving under 500gb that I can clone to the new drive.
Nismo

24th Sep 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Acronis
ajscorsa

25th Sep 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right it wont let me clone the 1500gb hdd to the 500gb hdd as the 1.5tb is too big but there is only 250gb on it. Ive tried to shrink the drive using disk management but it wont let me shrink it below 1.3tb :/ despite there only being 250gb on it!? ive disk defragmented and its made no difference. any ideas?
Chris
Premium Member

25th Sep 12 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download

Plenty of clone tools on there, but 1500 will never clone to 500 if the used space is greater than that of the dest drive.

Make double sure you get the copy order correct otherwise you will end up with two empty drives.

[Edited on 25-09-2012 by Chris]

[Edited on 25-09-2012 by Chris]
Nismo

25th Sep 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds the the cloner is trying to mirror the drives, there's some out there that do a "smart" clone and let's you clone only the data.
LeeM

25th Sep 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used carbon copy cloner when i put a new ssd in my mac, you can select folders/files that it then wont clone.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

26th Sep 12 at 06:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Acronis

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
pow
Premium Member

26th Sep 12 at 06:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's will never happen unless you install a fresh copy of windows on your new hard drive and keep all your data on the second. No cloning tool will be able to SUCCESSFULLY move your windows installation on to a smaller hard drive
Dom

26th Sep 12 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
It's will never happen unless you install a fresh copy of windows on your new hard drive and keep all your data on the second. No cloning tool will be able to SUCCESSFULLY move your windows installation on to a smaller hard drive

People have done it with SSD's so i don't see why this shouldn't work.

ajscorsa - Use partition magic to shrink the install, then clone, then copy to the 500GB drive. Worse case scenario just reinstall Windows on the other drive.
pow
Premium Member

26th Sep 12 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But surely theres going to be things in the registry looking up stuff that just doesn't exisit anymore, slowing the machine down... I personally would never do it in that way
Dom

26th Sep 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
But surely theres going to be things in the registry looking up stuff that just doesn't exisit anymore, slowing the machine down... I personally would never do it in that way

How'd you figure that one? You're doing a clone of the drive and copying it to another; apart from the change is hard drive, it's exactly the same You're not just drag'n'dropping the Windows directory to the other drive, that certainly wouldn't work
I agree in that it isn't the preferred method but i can't see why it wouldn't work.
Saying that, Windows might bitch about the change of drive and need to be re-licensed (not 100% on this though).
Neo

26th Sep 12 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, we used acronis at one of my previous places and it worked perfectly fine, every time. Windows didn't even ask to be re-licensed
ajscorsa

26th Sep 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

re sizing with partition magic justnow should be ablr to clone it with no problems once its done. cheers folks
pow
Premium Member

26th Sep 12 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by pow

How'd you figure that one? You're doing a clone of the drive and copying it to another; apart from the change is hard drive, it's exactly the same You're not just drag'n'dropping the Windows directory to the other drive, that certainly wouldn't work
I agree in that it isn't the preferred method but i can't see why it wouldn't work.
Saying that, Windows might bitch about the change of drive and need to be re-licensed (not 100% on this though).

I'm not disputing it won't work at all, personally I wouldn't do that... I don't mean to pick on you Dom, seems I spend a lot of time doing that lol! Just think it'd be better for the op to do it from fresh
ajscorsa

26th Sep 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a ball ache to do a fresh install as I lose alot of work ive done with windows media centre and game saves etc. its less hassle this way
Dom

26th Sep 12 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by pow

I'm not disputing it won't work at all, personally I wouldn't do that... I don't mean to pick on you Dom, seems I spend a lot of time doing that lol! Just think it'd be better for the op to do it from fresh

No, i agree with you. I personally wouldn't be cloning an install, rather start from fresh, but what AJ is attempting is the same principal as manufacturers imaging drives for new systems or when a company images new systems across the whole site.

ajscorsa - Majority of settings and game saves can be copied, so that isn't much of issue. Would have just been software installation etc. Although do realise there's still a good chance that it'll bork and require a fresh install anyway.

New Poll