corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The plane crash

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The plane crash
SetH

User status: Offline
12th Oct 12 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it pitot tubes that froze up?

I think Air France had a programme in flight to replace these with tubes from a different manufacturer. Although due to cost they were being rolled out slowly. Not like they were going to ground all their planes and replace them.

I think all their Airbus pilots have since had additional training in high altitude stall recovery etc.
Adster

12th Oct 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh it was the pitot tubes that froze up but iirc they are heated and think can be controlled by the pilots in such cases of freezing
Dom

12th Oct 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very interesting programme but as mentioned, it could have gone into a lot more detail as it seemed to skim over a fair amount.

What i didn't understand is why they complained about the limited range of the RC gear; they could have switched to external antennas and/or 'boosters' which could have given them KMs+ range
SetH

12th Oct 12 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C
quote:
Originally posted by SetH
I am not an avionics expert but remember that the pilot in the right seat had the stick permanently in a back position. The pilot in the left seat could not see this and was making control inputs of his own. They only realised shortly before the crash.

They said in the documentary this would not happen in a boeing plane because you can see the stick/yoke inputs as they are mirrored?

What channel was this on ?? I'll keep an eye out for it.

sorry I can't remember what channel it was on

There is a massive wiki page on it that goes into some detail.
Ben G

12th Oct 12 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Channel 4. It will be on 4 on demand.
jrsteeve

12th Oct 12 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could've been quite a bit better but didn't really give any new information about the design other than to use better cable ties!
Robin
Premium Member

12th Oct 12 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which you'd assume they already do as the 727 was first flown commercially nearly 50 years ago
noshua

12th Oct 12 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Very interesting programme but as mentioned, it could have gone into a lot more detail as it seemed to skim over a fair amount.

What i didn't understand is why they complained about the limited range of the RC gear; they could have switched to external antennas and/or 'boosters' which could have given them KMs+ range

I thought the same as well, strange.

I also watched that Air France flight documentary, think it was showed on a Nat Geo channel, interesting stuff and it was the pilots fault essentially for not realising, think either the pilot or co pilot hadn't done enough hours in flight or something as well.
Adster

12th Oct 12 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only thing i find annoying is that a 727 has 3 engines which are all rear mounted.
The only passenger aircraft still flying about with 3 engines are DC10's (not many about) and MD11's.

These have engines under the wings which makes you think what happens when the engines dig into the ground?

only things to dig into the ground on a 727 is its landing gears then its straight onto its belly.

Although saying all this, a LOT Boeing 767 made a gear up landing in poland last year but this was made on a solid runway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC8ySY_GlUk
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Oct 12 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I knew it would be decent. I love channel 4 docs.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
AlunJ

12th Oct 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4seven tonight at 9pm
SportBoy

12th Oct 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also thought it was odd using a 727 with the engines being where they are.
Dave

12th Oct 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are plenty of planes with rear mounted engines in service though. DC-9/MD-80, ERJ, CRJ etc.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Oct 12 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
I wonder how aware the passengers were?
Probably very aware, the rate of descent was huge and the turbulance of the wings being perpendicular to the drop would have been quite severe as well. The guy in the program said he was asked the same question and had to be honest. Unless you were asleep and it didn't wake you up, you'd have definitely known something was wrong.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Oct 12 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportBoy
i also thought it was odd using a 727 with the engines being where they are.
Cost probably had something to do with it. Price of something newer might have been too far.
Robin
Premium Member

13th Oct 12 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$300,000 for a working jumbo is a bargain IMO.

[Edited on 13-10-2012 by Robin]
Adster

13th Oct 12 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
There are plenty of planes with rear mounted engines in service though. DC-9/MD-80, ERJ, CRJ etc.

I knew that

And DC-9's are pretty much gone from europe iirc. Still a few MD's about but SAS are phasing their fleet out in favour for newer airbus's and boeings.

[Edited on 13-10-2012 by Adster]
Siberia

14th Oct 12 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still a good few in the states..
Adster

14th Oct 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well european aviation laws have become alot stricter. Alot of airlines are actually banned from entering EU airspace and alot of old russian aircraft are banned such the old tupolevs
Nick-S

14th Oct 12 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because of noise regulations?
Adster

15th Oct 12 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

noise and safety :/ would love to see an old tupolev. Balken holidays used to send there TU154's into manchester quite often before i started going spotting. Now they send in boring A320's
Cybermonkey

16th Oct 12 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adster
only thing i find annoying is that a 727 has 3 engines which are all rear mounted.
The only passenger aircraft still flying about with 3 engines are DC10's (not many about) and MD11's.

These have engines under the wings which makes you think what happens when the engines dig into the ground?

only things to dig into the ground on a 727 is its landing gears then its straight onto its belly.

Although saying all this, a LOT Boeing 767 made a gear up landing in poland last year but this was made on a solid runway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC8ySY_GlUk

When an aircraft crashes (which has low-slung wing mounted engines), they typically shear off without much comparitive force. It isn't really an issue.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The plane crash 24 database queries in 0.0144548 seconds