corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » accounts question ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author accounts question ?
edd1.0

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello , I am doing some accounts work in my uni project. One thing is puzzling me though , i have to work out depreciation using the straight line method. The reason I'm struggling is because i've been giving the annual depreciation rate of 20% but only need to work it out for 6 months , its' £60,000 at 20%

if anyone could help that would be great , i know yearly it will depreciate £12,000 but i don't think that means that in 6 months it will depreciate £6,000 ? or does it ?

Thanks
Matt L

23rd Nov 12 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just divide the annual amount by 2 .

unless the question states otherwise it will assume its spread evenly over the 12 months.

[Edited on 23-11-2012 by Matt L]
LeeM

23rd Nov 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£6k seems right, but seeing as its uni there's probably a daft reason why it's not
luciaadr

23rd Nov 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt is right
edd1.0

23rd Nov 12 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought that was right , just thought of it to be a bit to easy , i wasn't sure if the amount would change each month as the value its worth will decrease monthly therefore making the amount of depreciation each month different ? if that makes sense ? , its only part of a main account so it can't be to difficult i think they are trying to catch people out as its a 6month period not the 12month that the depreciation is listed for
dannymccann

24th Nov 12 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
i thought that was right , just thought of it to be a bit to easy , i wasn't sure if the amount would change each month as the value its worth will decrease monthly therefore making the amount of depreciation each month different ? if that makes sense ?

That's the reducing balance method

I don't handle Fixed Asset Depreciation at work, I'm only VAT & Tax so it certainly isn't my strong area, but from my studies I think I remember you would have to work it out month by month to use that method, unless you have one of those fancy LED calculators or know the equation...

An Excel spreadsheet would sort that in 2 mins tho
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Nov 12 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
i have to work out depreciation using the straight line method.

Which doesn't model depreciation very well, hence the answer looking too simple.
Russ

24th Nov 12 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
just divide the annual amount by 2 .

unless the question states otherwise it will assume its spread evenly over the 12 months.

[Edited on 23-11-2012 by Matt L]
:playboyaccountant:

[Edited on 24-11-2012 by Russ]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » accounts question ? 23 database queries in 0.0078959 seconds