corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Torque Wrench

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Torque Wrench
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 13 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a few jobs I'm hoping to tackle this year (supervised by a professional, of course ) and I think adding a torque wrench to my slowly growing tool collection would be a good move.

Any recommendations? There seem to be a fair price gulf between some I've found after a bit of googling.

Halfords for example have got three wrenches available: 8-60NM, 40-200NM and 60-300NM. With basic maintenance stuff on cars, is there one I should go for - or will I need to end up covering all of those ranges eventually?

Jobs I'm looking at tackling are brakes (disks, pads, hoses - so calipers off) and suspension (OEM off, Coilovers on). Possibly some exhaust work too.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

19th Jan 13 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got one for xmas that was from aldi's. supposed to be pretty good and their warranty is decent also.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_26856.htm

[Edited on 19-01-2013 by Ben G]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a decent one from Machine Mart back in the day.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Corsa_Sport21

19th Jan 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i got one for xmas that was from aldi's. supposed to be pretty good and their warranty is decent also.

I keep looking out for that deal as its on every so often, but always miss it. Have heard from alot of folk that the torque wrench above is very good for the money.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just read something on Google which suggested I wouldn't need more than 100NM for general car maintenance stuff. Not sure about the lower end threshold though.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht141-1-2in-drive-torque-wrench/path/ratchets-torque-wrenches-2

Quite a bit cheaper than the Halfords ones!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
craig8
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My facom one does 40 - 200nm and does pretty much all of the general work I need it for, also got a small Britool one that does under 60nm which is pretty much only used for building engines

Had one of those aldi ones in the car for wheel bolts and it was pretty good, checked it against my facom one which was calibrated yearly and it was spot on

E36 328
jay.jay

19th Jan 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have one of those Aldi ones, cracking bit of kit for the money used it whilst rebuilding my engine and it's been spot on
Rich H

19th Jan 13 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_178621_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Mainly only use it to remove / fit wheels though tbh!
gazza808

19th Jan 13 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do abit of calibrating at work when it's slack,
And in my opinion, from torque wrenches I've calibrated myself, with a proper equipment,
Best I see are the top Brit tool ones, then th snap on ones, followed very closely by the halford range!
Then facom below that,
That's just testing accuracy, how much they've changed over the 3months,
daymoon
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

I keep looking out for that deal as its on every so often, but always miss it. Have heard from alot of folk that the torque wrench above is very good for the money.

i got one as well. Not sure how accurate it is ( need to compare to my dads work one) but I am happy with it especially for the money.
Ben G

19th Jan 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
I've got this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_178621_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Mainly only use it to remove / fit wheels though tbh!

This is the sole reason I asked for one. Didn't fancy another sheared bolt in the hub
davegreen
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got 3, snap on electronic 4lbft-100lbft cost me £200, snap on click type micrometre adjustment 50lbft-250lbft cost £250, and britool click type 100lbft-520lbft £350. highly recomend either snap on or britool, used others and they dont compare. buy a decent 1 and it will last forever if looked after. electronic ones are great, easy to use. you will need low torque settings if you ever want to do engine work. down to 5lbft.
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a cheap market job. Having owned snap on ones and cheap ones. The only ones that have never failed tests after a few years is the cheap ones.

Just remember to back them off every time you have finished using it

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do u consider other cheaper ones to not compare Dave? Totally agree snap on stuff is generally the best by miles. However with torque wrenches provided they meet the grade when it comes to calibrations I cannot see the need to waste money on them.

Only time u need the expensive ones is when u need wifi readings for aviation use etc.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
3CorsaMeal

19th Jan 13 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really bother any more. Only use it in soft stuff that low torque. Anything over 60 I do by hand. Load of crap most of the time unless your going inside engine or gearbox.
neil h

19th Jan 13 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
I do abit of calibrating at work when it's slack,
And in my opinion, from torque wrenches I've calibrated myself, with a proper equipment,
Best I see are the top Brit tool ones, then th snap on ones, followed very closely by the halford range!
Then facom below that,
That's just testing accuracy, how much they've changed over the 3months,

This is worth bearing in mind to be honest. There isn't much point buying a torque wrench if it isn't going to be basically accurate.
davegreen
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheep ones fall apart, dont have any confidence in them and usuall dont have very good service and waranty back up compared to snap on and britool. plus the sales reps/vans come to work and collect them when in need of calibrating. never had a fault with any of them. if your not going to use it very often then it would be hard to justify the money for the likes of snap on.
craig55

19th Jan 13 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only ones i know to avoid are bluepoint ones had three half inch ones fail at 210nm cant fault my snap on ones i own now
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys.

After seeing the look on various mechanics faces when showing them the snapped bolt in my inlet manifold, snapping a bolt myself is really not something I can be bothered with

I know torquing to the right settings won't protect against poor quality bolts/corrosion/etc but it's better than nothing. Also gives me piece of mind when doing standard stuff such as wheels off/on again.

Factoring in the frequency I'll be using it, build quality isn't a major concern... but it seems pointless using one if it isn't accurate.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
jay26

19th Jan 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's your budget? I've just got a really good deal on a 3/8 drive snap on techwrench
jay26

19th Jan 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Franklin also make a good torque wrench
bigron1988

19th Jan 13 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use the halfords ones to build my engine up, couldent fault it for the money
Welsh Dan

20th Jan 13 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the 8-60 and 60-300 Halfords ones. Had no problems with them and they seem decent enough.
neil h

20th Jan 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snap-on-3-8-torque-wrench-/261156012133?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cce1c8065

That'll do it then either check the calibration yourself or get it done professionally.

http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench

[Edited on 20-01-2013 by neil h]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Torque Wrench 24 database queries in 0.0112891 seconds