corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa b upgrade altinator

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa b upgrade altinator
lewisv

User status: Offline
   23rd Jan 13 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a Corsa b w reg and when the indicator is on the lights dim and when the bass hits on my sub my lights dime it has done 115000 miles so i know at the least the altinator needs ned sliprings and bushes but the altinator in my car is 55 amp if i was to upgrade to about 120 amp would i need to upgrade anything else in the car so it is safe?
davegreen
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 05:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are drawing large amounts of power for your sound system then make sure the cabling is up to the job, from the alternator to starter, then to battery and on to the amps. dont forget the earths too. fitting a larger battery will help or a second battery for the sound system and power caps. how much power does your system draw? what wattage are your amps? rms? mine draws 200-300 amps on the real lows, 1200watts rms total system but old rockford fosgate power amps, 2x 1 farad caps and second battery produces 150+db. 100amp alternator. had a fiesta 1.0 many years ago and you could control the speed by adjusting the volume!
lewisv

23rd Jan 13 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not a big system its only a 480w amp and a 1500w sub but i think because the altinator is old thats why the flashing and i have done a quick calculation and my amp will be pulling 40amps at peak so the 55amp altinator is defo too small. the cable from the battery to the amp is good for up to 1000w so i know thats big enough. what size would u recomend from the altinator to starter? and where are the other earth points i know there is one from bat to the body of car and thats it
davegreen
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres an earth lead from the battery to the engine. usually bolted on the bell housing of the gear box. with the power you are drawing standard wiring will be fine. just make sure the connections are good at each end. 80-100 amp alternator will be fine.
lewisv

23rd Jan 13 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats brill ill check them when upgrade thanks alot

New Poll