corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Running + Chest pain

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running + Chest pain
Gaz

User status: Offline
16th Feb 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone into running?
I've started to run now as a form of trying to get fit. Picked up most of the gear, run with a local set of friends twice a week and then out on my own a further once or twice.

Recently I ran a Sunday doing just short of 6 miles and then didn't rest on the monday and ran a further 3. By the Wednesday I seem to have pulled a muscle in my chest and by lord did it hurt. I'm now a week or two on and going out doing 1-2 miles but finding my chest tightens and gets to a point where I need to walk for a short period to try and continue. I know I cannot simply pick back up to the 4-5 miles I was doing before hand and that rest is part of a recovery process but I'm not sure how to speed along a muscle pain in the chest? any idea's?
Jimbothebarbarian

16th Feb 13 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to the doctor. No ifs buts or maybes.

He'll sort your issues out and prevent any further damage.
Gaz

16th Feb 13 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd been to the walk-in centre the day after my pains occurred and then the hospital the day after that, nothing found on an ECG or blood tests. My doctor does;t have a running machine to have me on for 5 minutes to replicate the pain so will just tell me to rest more, which I guess I should do but I need to shift this fat so resting is not my idea of fun at the moment
Jimbothebarbarian

16th Feb 13 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not being funny but better fat than dead!

Seen it happen and it's not funny...
richardworrall
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pain is the bodies way of telling you something aint right. Rest and try a couple of days of Ibruprofen then start off slowly, try brisk walking then mix in a couple of mins of slow jogging for a few times, then jog for longer and keep increasing the time bit by bit until you feel more confident of no pains, dont rush the recovery though. Keep listening to what your bodies telling you
Gaz

22nd Feb 13 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I visited the doctor and he has referred me on to a hospital to be hooked up to an ECG whilst running on a treadmill.
He's advised me not to do any activity that could bring on the pain again until I've done these tests.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

22nd Feb 13 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be exercise induced asthma, does it feel tight chest and where do you feel the pain
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

22nd Feb 13 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J
could be exercise induced asthma, does it feel tight chest and where do you feel the pain

Fairly sure I've got this, never been tested but I get a pain similar in my chest when running etc outside for periods of time, I normally only get it when it is cold weather. During the summer it gets a lot better and I don't really suffer with it then. It's like a sharp pain in the lung/chest for me.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Gaz

22nd Feb 13 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the pain is a tightening or like when you have food trapped going down slowly to your stomach and the pain is right around my heart but originally was over the right hand side which originally confused me as to how it moved.

I do feel I have energy to carry on running but the pain worries me so I stopped after 1.2 miles on monday and will not run until the hospital tests.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Feb 13 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always an excuse with these fatties!

is it definitely not just a stitch?
try doing a forward roll. yes I am being serious. When I started doing cross country in school/cheshire I got them and a forward roll was the best thing to get rid of them whilst continuing to move
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Feb 13 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a stitch ffs

[Edited on 22-02-2013 by willay]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

22nd Feb 13 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it could be though, I used to get them really bad just under the left tit
Gaz

23rd Feb 13 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Certainly not a stitch mate
davegreen
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had pains in my chest along with light headed feelings, hard to breathe & dizzy spells. doctors are a waste of space, just wanted me on all manor of drugs, yes they may of helped but not the best way. i had dangerously high colestorl (family histroy of this with heart trouble) changed my diet totally just made it worse so changed my job, no more fumes and far less stress at work and back to old diet and im fine now. you can suffer from stress and not know it!
Hammer

23rd Feb 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
always an excuse with these fatties!

is it definitely not just a stitch?
try doing a forward roll. yes I am being serious. When I started doing cross country in school/cheshire I got them and a forward roll was the best thing to get rid of them whilst continuing to move

Jesus Christ.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am similar to him, but more like God
Hammer

23rd Feb 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If God were an overweight window licker then yes, you are almost identical.
Jamie Walby

23rd Feb 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richardworrall
pain is the bodies way of telling you something aint right.

No it's actually weakness leaving the body
Gaz

23rd Feb 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
i had pains in my chest along with light headed feelings, hard to breathe & dizzy spells. doctors are a waste of space, just wanted me on all manor of drugs, yes they may of helped but not the best way. i had dangerously high colestorl (family histroy of this with heart trouble) changed my diet totally just made it worse so changed my job, no more fumes and far less stress at work and back to old diet and im fine now. you can suffer from stress and not know it!

I've never thought if stress being a factor in a physical way. I've had some form of stress in the past when a combination of unfortunate events occurred and I simply couldn't cope but that was purely a mental thing for me.

Glad you sorted it out for yourself though
davegreen
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was only after talking to a friend who has similar problems i found out it could be stress. i was happy in my old job but it could be stress full. it does strange things to your body, put my colestrol up to 9 and average is ment to be around 4/5. back to 5 now after 8 months in new job
Graeme
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tend to get tightness in my chest whilst training but only when its cold. (Outdoor classes) any other time its fine and been checked and they don't really know why. The cold air just hurts a bit, I normally just slow down. Deep slow breaths for a minute and carry on.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
If God were an overweight window licker then yes, you are almost identical.

away and touch some kids
Hammer

23rd Feb 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slanderous.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not bothered

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Running + Chest pain 25 database queries in 0.0157242 seconds