corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Looking for solutions...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looking for solutions...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
4th Mar 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, I'm moving to a new place in London on Saturday.
The previous tenants had Virgin Media - so I was happy that we'd take that over and the internet would already be sorted.

As part of my job I get to work from home anywhere from 2-4 days a week at the moment Which is a perk I would like to keep... I think generally it's a bit 'under the radar' as far as top level management are concerned... as long as the work gets completed, they don't really care where I am. (Other times I may be working out of one of many different offices - usually when I'm needed for meetings etc).

However, one of the new flat mates has decided to cancel the Virgin Media and switch to Sky (As she works for sky she gets it for free - so it makes sense)... but... it won't be active until the 26th of March! So can't dial into the work network from home This leaves me with a slight issue - in that, if I suddenly turn up to an office every day, then A ) it'll cost me more in commuting (I can only charge back expenses when I'm required in that office) B ) I honestly don't want to get up early / bother with commute if I don't have to and C ) I'm worried if I keep turning up to an office all of a sudden, it'll raise flags in the system that I'm been working from home so much (I think most people assume I'm just at a different office, when I'm not at theirs) and I may lose the privilege.

Ultimately I get the work required and more done - so my direct management has always been happy with letting me choose where to work (and noticed an increased productivity when I was at home).

- So anyone got any simple suggestions for this?

I'm considering trying to tether on my phone, but worried it'll be in-stable / not fast enough (I sometimes have to transfer large files onto the network etc). Equally, they supply me with a 3G dongle thing - but it's not really designed for this continual use and may raise flags somewhere again

Other than parking myself in a coffee shop or switching up the different offices each day I'm not sure of a easy solution?

Any techie suggestions for a temporary measure?

[Edited on 04-03-2013 by Paul_J]
Russ

4th Mar 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speak to fazza, he will sort you out a 3g dongle for tokens
Andrew

4th Mar 13 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Giffgaff sim for £10 a month pay as you go.

How do you connect to work, vpn, ssl vpn or Terminal Services?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Mar 13 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spend your day sitting in a coffee shop somewhere and use their WiFi.
Gaz

4th Mar 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have explored the only temporary solutions you can use without it costing you a fortune.
Our place ran 3g dongles when people were off at client sites (so they don't have to rely on them providing an internet connection off their domain) and they did work well. As a temp solution for a few days a week I would go for that or if you do a speednet test on your phone just tether off that and save large file transfers for the office? (or borrow a new neighbours for a few bottles of wine )
Paul_J

4th Mar 13 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since I have a 3g Dongle with '3' - as supplied with work, the question I have is - how will they be billed for it? Is it a time or usage thing?

They just gave it to me for using on customer sites - but didn't really tell me how it was paid for.
Sam
Premium Member

4th Mar 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was house sharing, I let a fit German bird that lived in the house use my Internet for free, in exchange she would cook for me and we even went to the cinema together
Russ

4th Mar 13 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow
Premium Member

4th Mar 13 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a 3 dongle for a month for 15 quid. Normally get 1 or 3gb of data with it.
Paul_J

4th Mar 13 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Where can I buy one for a single month? Will it be fast enough?
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Mar 13 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What phone have you got? I VPN to work via my iPhone's 3G connection all the time - works fine.
A2H GO

4th Mar 13 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently tethering to my iPhone on Giff gaff in the new flat, it's fine for normal browsing, not so much for downloading files.
Nismo

4th Mar 13 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Where can I buy one for a single month? Will it be fast enough?

Look at 3 MiFi

£15.99 per month 1 month contract and a mifi dongle that you can sell on after.

5gb data too.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2485

[Edited on 04-03-2013 by Nismo]
pow
Premium Member

4th Mar 13 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a MiFi, it's bloody awesome as I can use it with my laptop, phone, iPad, anything I want to. So much easier than messing around with those stupid dongles. I've unlocked it too - just pop another SIM in it when I'm abroad and use it. Used it to work an event on a beach in France last year

I find it's quick enough, never gunna download at MBPS but it manages 400kbps quite happily.

[Edited on 04-03-2013 by pow]
Paul_J

5th Mar 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers all... I was going to go for Mifi, then saw the price was £29.99 + £15 / month...

Decided I only need to use it on my laptop - so just grabbed another 3 3G dongle from there with 5gb limit.

Should do the trick - fingers crossed.

Thanks all.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Mar 13 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should get a EE dongle on LTE this is the speed i have in leicester atm

Sam
Premium Member

5th Mar 13 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's better than my home broadband speeds
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Mar 13 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now im getting a steady 15up 15down

New Poll