corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband speeds

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband speeds
chunk89

User status: Offline
13th May 13 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are you all currently getting? im with virgin at the moment and stated upto 60meg but just recently i have noticed quite slow speeds while online things such as gaming and playing poker, on a saturday night i was in a tournament and it kept disconnecting (im aware this is peak time) but it is really annoying. i have rung sky and been told i will get between 1.4mbps and 4mbps, is that good? im rubbish with stuff like this.

Simon
Neo

13th May 13 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to speedtest.net and run a test to see what your current speed is.

Then call Virgin and tell them that your internet is slow and therefore you want it looked at.

"60meg" as you put it is 60mbps. 1.4mbps to 4mbps is not particularly quick
chunk89

13th May 13 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks
Munchie

13th May 13 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to virgins website and where it says "enter your number and postcode" enter it and write here what the estimated speed is given,....
eckers90

13th May 13 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60mbps is only 6 bmps when working. megabites and megabytes, im sure this has been covered, anyway do a test phone them complaining and theyll "boost" your line, will work fine for a bit then go back to normal. but Virgin are commonly known to throttle your speed, if your a high user and downloader.
Y869 SRA

13th May 13 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what I'm getting off Virgin.
Never been throttled and I download quite alot.

Dom

13th May 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eckers90
60mbps is only 6 bmps when working. megabites and megabytes, im sure this has been covered, anyway do a test phone them complaining and theyll "boost" your line, will work fine for a bit then go back to normal. but Virgin are commonly known to throttle your speed, if your a high user and downloader.

60mpbs gives you a theoretical maximum of around 7.5MB/s but it'll be a bit lower due to overheads and your equipment could potentially limit the speed further.

And you're right, they are commonly known to throttle connections; it's called the Traffic Management policy and Virgin are quite open about it (just look on their website)

Unfortunately VM cable internet can be hit or miss and where you usually get issues with VM is if you're in an area (or node) with an oversubscribed CMTS (Cisco uBR's or Motorola BSR's) where it becomes a simple case of bandwidth starvation - too many connections/customers for bandwidth supplied to your area.

Luckily i'm in a 'hit' area being in a small village, always get the advertise connection unless i'm being throttled by the STM and i can count the number of issues i've had with it in 14 years on one hand.

chunk89 - Huddersfield gets hammered due to the students
It's worth doing a number of speed checks throughout the day over a few days or a week and keeping a record of the results. Will easily tell you if it's simply a case of you being in a oversubscribed area (during peaks times, your connection will become pants) or if there is a fault.
If it's the former then there won't be a huge amount you can do apart from continuously complaining to VM.

And 4mbps is a fair amount slower than 60mbps, although ADSL might provide you with a better connection.
kz

13th May 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll