corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Outlook Experts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Outlook Experts
James

User status: Offline
26th Sep 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a long shot, but I'm having the same issue as this guy:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/outlook-rule-email-distribution-group-t3460890.html

I receive e-mails from the e-mail address that a distribution list is attached to, and I want to move e-mails that are from this e-mail address, but not from any individual e-mail addresses inside the list.

E.g. the list is "My Distribution List", it has an e-mail address linked to it "my_distribution_list@company.com".

Inside it there are 3 members, "bob@company.com", "bill@company.com" and "john@company.com".

If I receive an e-mail from "my_distribution_list@company.com", I want to move it. But if I receive an e-mail from bob, bill or john, I don't want to move it.

I've tried using single quotes like the guy suggested on the link above, but then it doesn't pick up any e-mails at all.
James

26th Sep 13 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing I can think of is creating a rule based on the group, but then adding exceptions for each of the group members. But it means every time someone is added to the group I would need to make sure I add the exception.
Balling
Premium Member

26th Sep 13 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you receive emails from the distribution list address? I don't see how that's possible.

If someone sends an email to you via the distribution list, the sender will not be the distribution address, but the address of the person sending.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Balling
Premium Member

26th Sep 13 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, it seems to me that what you want is to make a rule that moves any email sent to (and not from) my_distribution_list@company.com.

James

26th Sep 13 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
How can you receive emails from the distribution list address? I don't see how that's possible.

If someone sends an email to you via the distribution list, the sender will not be the distribution address, but the address of the person sending.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

You aren't misunderstanding anything.

But we have some systems that send e-mails, when the code in the system sets the "From" e-mail address to the same e-mail as the distribution list, when you get the e-mail it will come from the whole list.

I think outside of a system sent e-mail, you wouldn't ever be able to get the scenario.
Balling
Premium Member

26th Sep 13 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see. Well I've got nothing, then.

Dom

26th Sep 13 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely the 'from' header is the address attached to the distribution list (eg - my_distribution_list@company.com); therefore you setup the rule to move mail based on that address and exclude the individual mail addresses?
Balling
Premium Member

26th Sep 13 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As he says though, he'd have to edit the "exclude" list every time the distribution list is edited.

pow
Premium Member

26th Sep 13 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you start the message with a consistant line of text that you could apply the rule to?
Dom

26th Sep 13 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As he says though, he'd have to edit the "exclude" list every time the distribution list is edited.

But you can add the distribution list as an exclude group which might work, ie - move everything based on address but exclude anyone within group.
James

26th Sep 13 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

But you can add the distribution list as an exclude group which might work, ie - move everything based on address but exclude anyone within group.

But as soon as you put the address in the list of e-mails to move, it automatically resolves it to the distribution list name. So in your suggestion you would end up with a rule based on a distribution list with the same distribution list in the exclusion list, which means the rule would do nothing...

I don't think there's a way to do what I want to do TBH. I think Microsoft never considered that people could get e-mails from a distribution list....
Balling
Premium Member

26th Sep 13 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I don't think there's a way to do what I want to do TBH. I think Microsoft never considered that people could get e-mails from a distribution list....
Think you're right in this.

When you tell the server "my_distribution_list@company.com" what the server hears is "bob@company.com, bill@company.com and john@company.com".

So you want it to do exactly what Dom is suggesting; include all emails in the rule, but exclude them as well.
Not going to happen.

There's no way to change your system settings so the emails aren't sent from the group address?

James

26th Sep 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Think you're right in this.

When you tell the server "my_distribution_list@company.com" what the server hears is "bob@company.com, bill@company.com and john@company.com".

So you want it to do exactly what Dom is suggesting; include all emails in the rule, but exclude them as well.
Not going to happen.

There's no way to change your system settings so the emails aren't sent from the group address?

There is a way to change the system, but the red-tape and general pain involved in doing this is not worth it. I'll just deal with having the e-mails in my inbox TBH.
Dom

26th Sep 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But as soon as you put the address in the list of e-mails to move, it automatically resolves it to the distribution list name.

Didn't realise that.

Guessing the distribution group gets updated regularly? Otherwise you could just add the individual addresses to the exclusion list.

New Poll