corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Trailer test

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Trailer test
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Dec 13 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna have to do my trailer test next year to be able to tow a cherry picker.

I know a few on here have done it. Whats it like? As in difficulty what do you have to do etc?

Cheers
Jed D

27th Dec 13 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you ever trailed anything before? i haven't done the test but found it really easy...
Gary
Premium Member

27th Dec 13 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only my little 4 foot trailer. Found it fine.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Dec 13 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to drive about like you're on a regular driving test - mirror signal manoeuvre, speed limits, situational awareness, emergency stop, the standard stuff.

Then you have to unhitch / hitch safely, then reverse in as S shape in to a bay and not hit the back of it.

I wouldn't describe it as really easy. You'll need to not have any bad habits, still a fail if you rack up a load of minors.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

27th Dec 13 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine just pretty straight forward. Don't try to rush anything just take your time and be really observant. Everything is as ian describes above.
fred7

28th Dec 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you go about learning to drive with a trailer? Before you take a test

[Edited on 28-12-2013 by fred7]
Dave

28th Dec 13 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can still tow a trailer on your normal B licence, it's only as you get bigger/heavier that you'll need the +E part.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car
JonnyJ

28th Dec 13 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You have to drive about like you're on a regular driving test - mirror signal manoeuvre, speed limits, situational awareness, emergency stop, the standard stuff.

Then you have to unhitch / hitch safely, then reverse in as S shape in to a bay and not hit the back of it.

I wouldn't describe it as really easy. You'll need to not have any bad habits, still a fail if you rack up a load of minors.

Yep, getting into the test mentality is the hardest part, so many little things you forget about. When to took my C it took me about 2 Full days of lessons to get all that back into my head and get rid of all the bad habits. The actual driving wasn't too hard itself its the amount of sheer concentration you need to not rack up minors. You do pick it all back up quick enough but I wouldn't just book a test and expect to pass, you might think you've driven ok but I guarentee you'd rack up a load of minors, some of the things you have to do I'd totally forgotten about.
Jed D

28th Dec 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

id probs fail then... steer with one hand now and cant for the love of god stop doing it
baza31

28th Dec 13 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go do your class one . Saves fucking about with all the small stuff . Or buy my cherry picker on tick
Gary
Premium Member

28th Dec 13 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want a trailer one. Don't want another tax, mot and insurance bill. Easier to store too, can just stick at at my mums.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

28th Dec 13 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
How do you go about learning to drive with a trailer? Before you take a test

[Edited on 28-12-2013 by fred7]

Do a search for B+E training in your area and phone round a few. As you speak to them you get a feel for who seems knowledgeable and if you could spend 2 days in a car with them.
JonnyJ

28th Dec 13 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
Go do your class one . Saves fucking about with all the small stuff . Or buy my cherry picker on tick

Unless Gaz already has it he'd have to take his Class 2 first. Seems a bit of an expensive way of doing it.
Doug

28th Dec 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The test fee is £115 IIRC
Then you can normally get away with 1-2 days training which will probably be about £175 per day.

Assume £500-600 to get it passed. Takes the piss.

I have to get mine sorted in the next month or so.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 13 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your normal driving will improve though, if that is any consolation for your £600.

I picked up stuff I still use.
Mike
Premium Member

28th Dec 13 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was £450 for 2 days training and the test. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned. As Ian says, you do pick stuff up from the training. The test is the same as the class 1/C+E test apart from the vehicle so your driving is expected to be at that kind of level, it's not like your driving test which is more of an exercise to prove you can control a car without being likely to kill anyone.
Doug

28th Dec 13 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having just gone through the IAM I would hope that my driving is of a decent standard. I will see if I can have a mess around on the yard so I can try for just one days worth of tuition.

Need to buy a 4x4 as well. Anyone want to buy a genuinely vgc 350z?!
Mike
Premium Member

28th Dec 13 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, you're on the right lines then, picking up the reverse maneuver only took me about 45 minutes so if you can get some practice in beforehand then actual training should be able to be kept to a minimum. I had 2 days training but had no towing experience and it'd been 6 years since I passed my car test so it wasn't exactly fresh.
Andrew

28th Dec 13 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked into this, was quoted £600 for a 3 day course and test. Quite reasonable i thought given i would be using there car, fuel, trailer and the test.
bigron1988

28th Dec 13 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

place round my way its £440 including 2 days teaching
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

29th Dec 13 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd never towed a trailer, did a couple training days then my test don't think I was much over £400 when I did mine and that was with his 4x4 and trailer. I've used my license a couple times now with trailers and a caravan so money well spent to be legal
Jed D

29th Dec 13 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on weights you dont have to have the B+E and can still be perfectly legal
bigron1988

29th Dec 13 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
depends on weights you dont have to have the B+E and can still be perfectly legal

yes but your pretty limited to what cars/ trailers you can tow and how much weight you can have in the car , im doing my class 1 so am covered as im sticking a trailer on the back of my truck to bring another car to pod
M2RTY

29th Dec 13 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having never drove with a trailer before i had an hours assessment, then booked a 2 hour lesson and test on same day. Passed first time. Wasnt easiest thing to do but it cost me 300ish from memory
M2RTY

29th Dec 13 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps - i heard as of september the trailer needs to have 600kg deadweight in it, making hitching it up a bit harder as i aas able to easily pull the trailer the 12 inches to hitch it

Also, a twin axel one i used reverses much better than my single axel

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Trailer test 23 database queries in 0.0138910 seconds