corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Projector Screen or Wall?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Projector Screen or Wall?
Pop

User status: Offline
1st Jan 14 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

For those of you with projectors, or with a decent knowledge of them. Is there a benefit to using a screen rather than a wall?

If the wall is plastered and freshly painted do you think it would be adequate?

All thoughts are appreciated.
Steve
Premium Member

1st Jan 14 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adequate yes, but better results with a screen as with have a higher gain. Being how reflective it is. Some people think a grey actually gives better contrast
Steve
Premium Member

1st Jan 14 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw you can get a 100"+ full electric motorised screen for <100 these days
Pop

1st Jan 14 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the reply.

The issue I'm having is that the room is a few cm wider than what is needed to accommodate a 92" screen; however, the screen casings on a couple I have looked at are wider in total than the room!

I will have to have a look around to see if there are any decent manufacturers who will do a 92" 16:9 screen that will fit in the room.

[Edited on 01-01-2014 by Pop]
ash_corsa

2nd Jan 14 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy the proper paint to paint the wall, seen a couple done this way and results were very good
Rob_Quads

2nd Jan 14 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked into this when I did mine 6/7 years ago and there were a few paints that got fairly good write ups. You obviously need to have VERY good flat walls and the best results were from those that were sprayed, not rolled or brushed.

A2H GO

2nd Jan 14 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just buy a screen that's a few inches smaller?

Also, you've got a projector in a room thats 2m wide?
Rob_Quads

2nd Jan 14 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You going to need some black non-reflective walls with that size of room otherwise your going to get huge amount of reflections/highlights off the screens on the side walls.
Pop

2nd Jan 14 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for your thoughts.

ash_corsa - any particular paint that you could recommend I look at? I will Google it but it's always good to get feedback on certain types if you have seen it in the flesh.

A2H GO - yeah I could easily go a few inches smaller, I'm just trying to maximise size in the space available really. The room in question is going to be a converted garage as part of a larger extension project. I've lifted the room from the construction drawings (see below).

Rob_Quads - that is something I hadn't thought about! If necessary the room could be painted in darker colours.
ash_corsa

2nd Jan 14 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Black widow from the US, also Goo is popular on the forums.
There's a few good write ups online with comparison pictures worth checking out.

Have you thought about a fixed canvas screen? I personally hate roll down screens electric or manual so a fixed screen is the way I'd go if I did one myself.

New Poll