corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Gap/break in car insurance cover

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gap/break in car insurance cover
gooner_47

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 14 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, so my understanding was that you're allowed a break in cover of 2 years before your no claims becomes invalid. Indeed, everyone else I've spoken to and all the forum posts I've found also seem to be under this illusion.

I had a gap in cover of 1 year 5 months, and when it came time to renew I went through the usual process of going to a comparison site, finding the cheapest, taking out the cover and receiving the policy in the post.

All fine until I come to provide my proof of no claims, at which point they tell me they only accept a 1 year gap not 2. Pissed off, I cancel the policy, and manage to find a company which accepts 2.

It's only now it's starting to dawn on me that once this policy expires - I'm going to be in the unique situation of having 2 different ncb periods. One "normal" one with the company I'm with now (and any others that accept a 2 year gap), and one of only 1 year (that I've just earnt) with all others that only accept a 1 year gap. Annoying.

Other than ranting and spreading some of my joy, I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this 1 year situation and know if there's any rules or regulations somewhere which state they should actually be accepting a gap of 2 years. It just seems that 2 years is so widely known by people (from googling) that I would have thought there would be something written down in writing by some board of authority?

Or... it's just accepting that the insurance companies can just do whatever the f*ck they want...
Ben G

3rd Feb 14 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. They can accept/reject whoever they like providing they're not being sexist/racist/homophobic etc.

Just stick with your current insurance company if the renewal is cheaper than the companies who won't accept your ncb.

John

3rd Feb 14 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless I'm missing something, at the end of this policy, you'll get a bit of paper saying you have X years no claims.

You take that to any company and say you have X years no claims, the gap will be irrelevant by that point.
gooner_47

3rd Feb 14 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok that's what my Dad just said as well. And I know I'll have that bit of paper as proof...

I've just got it in my head that if I give the new company that bit of paper, and the worst happened and I needed to claim, they could look back at my ncb history, see there was a gap of over 1 year (which they don't allow) and void the policy.
John

3rd Feb 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wouldn't be telling any lies.
deano87

3rd Feb 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Unless I'm missing something, at the end of this policy, you'll get a bit of paper saying you have X years no claims.

You take that to any company and say you have X years no claims, the gap will be irrelevant by that point.
andy1868

4th Feb 14 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking the exact same thing as John and Deano.

If you want 100% clarification speak to somebody at the current company and ask them, if they're dealing with this sort of thing all the time they'll be able to tell you for sure straight off the bat.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Gap/break in car insurance cover 23 database queries in 0.0067260 seconds