corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Group B rallying - what if i was still alive?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Group B rallying - what if i was still alive?
stan_the_man

User status: Offline
10th Feb 14 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So me and a mate a just discussing the fact that Group B rallying died in 1986/7....

What if it hadnt, and was still going today, what cars would we be seeing on our roads and in the rallies themselves.......?
Robin
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Group B was going to evolve into Group S which would have been insane. Not really sure the road cars would have been much different from WRC homologation ones to be honest, the Group B road cars were quite tame in comparison to their rally equivalents, WRC cars like the Impreza and the Lancer still had to be sane enough for the road but there's a lot of tuning potential, that's how they would have got round it.

Think about when Ford sold the Sierra RS500, that had a massive turbo, huge intercooler and 8 injectors as a road car. 4 of those injectors didn't work on the road car and it made 225bhp as opposed to 500+ for the touring car. Can't see why it would be different to that tbh.
M16KE B

10th Feb 14 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some manufacturers built Group S cars, or concepts of which at least. So you can see exactly where group B would have went.

Off the top of my head i can think of the Lancia ECV, Astra 4S, Toyota 222D and that mad Audi prototype thing.

chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Group B died because the drivers refused to drive as it was getting too dangerous for them and the spectators..
DannyB
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was cancelled after the deaths of a driver and co driver wasn't it?
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure if it was the exact cause but i know the drivers had an input into it.
neil h

10th Feb 14 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think both were contributing factors tbh, the drivers didn't wanna go out with such a high risk of death to racers/spectators and the FIA werent keen on the publicity it bought.
3CorsaMeal

10th Feb 14 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to John Boosh for cat d rally car scene.
jrdn7

10th Feb 14 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modern Group B regs would be very interesting, modern suspension, brakes & tyres. Modern safety equipment too, so no matter how daft the car is.

Ford Fiesta WRC with 1200bhp hammering through a Welsh/Finnish forest, yes please.
M16KE B

11th Feb 14 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
It was cancelled after the deaths of a driver and co driver wasn't it?

Attilio Bettega's death in an 037, Marc Surers crash in an Rs200 that killed his codriver, another Rs200 killing spectators in Portugal and finally Henri Toivonens death in an S4 combined with most drivers being reluctant to drive at 10-tenths killed group B.

An awesome area, albeit shortlived.
SVM 286

13th Feb 14 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A golden era that should have had it's short comings rectified, rather than being killed off.

F1 was superb at the time too.

Both sports are now shadows of their former selves, to my mind.
SVM 286

14th Feb 14 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Half an hour of bliss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbv07cJC9A
M16KE B

18th Feb 14 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Both sports are now shadows of their former selves, to my mind.

Not to mention what has become of BTCC when compared to the mid-late eighties.
Robin
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The BTCC had the biggest viewing figures and crowds last year than EVER before.
M16KE B

18th Feb 14 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

....and last years British F1 had the highest attendance on record. So what? I wasnt making a comment on how popular these sports are.

In my humble opinion 80s and early 90s F1 were better than the current state of affairs, whilst group A and the supertouring eras were better than this current crop of MGTC rubbish we have in the BTCC.

Whether people are going to it / watching it doesnt change my opinion or detract from the fact that it used to be better.

[Edited on 18-02-2014 by M16KE B]
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Half an hour of bliss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbv07cJC9A

Awesome.

Must resist urge to buy mudflaps

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Robin
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M16KE B
quote:
Originally posted by Robin

....and last years British F1 had the highest attendance on record. So what? I wasnt making a comment on how popular these sports are.

In my humble opinion 80s and early 90s F1 were better than the current state of affairs, whilst group A and the supertouring eras were better than this current crop of MGTC rubbish we have in the BTCC.

Whether people are going to it / watching it doesnt change my opinion or detract from the fact that it used to be better.

[Edited on 18-02-2014 by M16KE B]

I know what you're saying but it's obvious that the Gowmeister is doing something right. Yes the supertouring stuff was amazing and the group a stuff too but the ngtc cars are ever so slightly quicker, the grids are massive, 32 cars, same as 1995... The racing is closer than it had been for years...

It's easy to say its not as good but the only thing which is different for the worse is the lack of manufacturer support.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Group B rallying - what if i was still alive? 24 database queries in 0.0184901 seconds