corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » An Actual Watch That's Smart....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author An Actual Watch That's Smart....
Dom

User status: Offline
18th Mar 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorola are releasing their Moto 360 smartwatch and it looks stunning -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnerqDWwVgg

It's certainly miles ahead in terms of design compared to other smartwatches which are typically geek/nerd eyesores (ie - THIS, good bit of kit but hideously styled). Although it's likely to cost a reasonable amount and be limited to Google Android's ecosystem (typical i guess).

Hopefully this is the start for more traditional inconspicuous looking smartwatches that could be worn daily, rather than current batch which are just glorified sports watches.

Another video highlighting Google's Android Wearables - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqZl2QIz0c
John

18th Mar 14 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen this on Engadget earlier, does look good.
Rob_Quads

19th Mar 14 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does look good although I get a feeling its been shown off just so they can claim they are the first to have a decent looking 'normal' looking smartwatch

Loads of details missing, in fact only a few details at all. No real model only 3d printed stuff and renders.

I would put money on there being quite a few companies out there that are producing something very similar that could have done a PR video like that.
Balling
Premium Member

19th Mar 14 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact that the whole video is about them making it look like an actual watch kind of underlines the fact that smart watches are mostly just completely useless.

A2H GO

19th Mar 14 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like this one that's been floating around recently...

None of them are particularly 'smart' since they all need a phone to work and if I have my phone with me, I don't need a smart watch.
Dom

19th Mar 14 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Loads of details missing....

True but it's just an announcement and we'll hear specifics over the next few months when we get closer to the summer release.

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
None of them are particularly 'smart' since they all need a phone to work.....

So what in your mind is a smartwatch?

Fitting a phones hardware into a watch body (without designing it like a brick) isn't practical and has previously failed - screen's too small and being realistic, no ones going to sit there talking into a watch like their Michael Knight
And if smart means the watch has it's own GPRS/3G/4G connectivity (adding WiFi could be a possibility but it still offers limited use) then not only are you drastically increasing the complexity of the technical aspects of the watch (increased hardware requirements, limited space, battery issues...list goes on), you also have the issue of the watch having it's own data contract which no one would pay for it when they've got to pay for a mobile as well.

It's likely when technology catches up (hologram displays, further hardware miniaturisation etc), we'll be able to have a single device on our wrists but in it's current generation, smartwatches are a good accessory to a phone without having to duplicate hardware.

But no doubt your opinion will change when Apple release theirs

Edit - And that 'Triwa' is lovely looking but it's just a graphical concept by some randomer unlike the Moto 360 which actually exists in working prototype form and will be released this summer

[Edited on 19-03-2014 by Dom]
Rob_Quads

19th Mar 14 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
And if smart means the watch has it's own GPRS/3G/4G connectivity (adding WiFi could be a possibility but it still offers limited use) then not only are you drastically increasing the complexity of the technical aspects of the watch (increased hardware requirements, limited space, battery issues...list goes on), you also have the issue of the watch having it's own data contract which no one would pay for it when they've got to pay for a mobile as well.

Thats exactly the sort of stuff I would be hoping for. Its not a huge jump to get to the point where that is possible. The Omate shows its getting there. With some real investment (i.e. Samsung / Apple numbers not a $1M) then its quite feasible to make one - we are not talking huge leaps in innovation. (Having just looked at the PCB that OMate is using it alone has huge potential to be made much smaller with $$)

In terms of contracts etc the likes of Ovivo etc its much easier now to have it at a much lower cost. Again its not huge leaps we need to get there. Your not going to be doing masses of data over it (bar streaming which you could limit to wifi).

[Edited on 19-03-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Dom

19th Mar 14 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
The Omate shows its getting there.

Perhaps in terms of connectivity but otherwise it's still a poorly designed watch.
It's bulky and far from stylish for starters and because of the used hardware, you end up with a battery life that is typically (from reviews) around the one day mark which isn't particularly acceptable for a watch.

Obviously the current new research into battery tech and further improvements into miniaturisation will help massively but the battery tech is a fair few years away from reaching consumer markets and miniaturisation is increasingly becoming harder to achieve (graphene will help but current research shows that it will only get you so far).
Whatever way you look at it, we're still a lengthy leap away from the 'complete package'.

On another note about the Omate, i'm failing to see the practical reason for using a fully fledge OS when you have limited screen real estate
A lightweight OS specifically designed for low-power usage would better suit 'wearables'.
Rob_Quads

19th Mar 14 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree what OS it runs makes no difference to me but what its capable of doing is the important bit. I know of 3 people just in my department who are looking for a watch do to GPS stuff but want it to upload in realtime. They also don't want to be carrying a phone for this.

Is the Omate- that bulky - it looks bulky but take a look at the size of the face in the pictures above in comparison to the strap. Thats a bloody big face. I bet the internal space is not a lot different between that and the omate and as said the omade already wastes loads of space
A2H GO

19th Mar 14 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

So what in your mind is a smartwatch?

[Edited on 19-03-2014 by Dom]

One that has full Siri/Google Now functionality without needing a phone plus all the usual fitness stuff, blood pressure, heart rate etc.

[Edited on 19-03-2014 by A2H GO]
Dom

27th Jun 14 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MKBHD's quick view at the Moto 360 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U13DF7R-iuw.

I can imagine if you had nancy wrists that it might look a tad big and that little bottom 'bar' (display drivers/connectors apparently; alternative is to use a bezel around the screen like other smart watches) ruins it a little but overall it does look pretty damn

[Edited on 27-06-2014 by Dom]
Gary
Premium Member

28th Jun 14 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I like this one that's been floating around recently...

[img]http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/smartwatch-calls.jpg/img].

None of them are particularly 'smart' since they all need a phone to work and if I have my phone with me, I don't need a smart watch.

More here...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/7/5477768/gabor-balogh-circular-smartwatch-concept

I really like that one. Satnav,music controller etc would be really handy. Although i'd prob break it at work
A2H GO

28th Jun 14 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moto 360 looks incredible, I almost don't believe it till I see it. Watched Google IO for an hour only for them not to announce a release date.

It looks like something I could image Apple releasing, they even went with Apples trademark chamfered edge, which is a good thing.

If I had to be picky I'd say it could be a couple of mm thinner and the display driver thing sounds like a problem Apple would have solved before releasing but the black bar doesn't bug me too much. Android Wear itself looks a bit 'version 1.0' but I guess that's to be expected as that's exactly what it is.

For a first crack at a smartwatch people might actually want to buy I think it's not bad going at all.
N16K

28th Jun 14 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would rather just buy a G Shock. Smart Watch just sounds like BS to me. Look at your phone ffs it will be in your pocket. Perhaps some are to lazy and want to look like an idiot fingering their watch. A talent they will never get to try with a female.
Rob_Quads

5th Sep 14 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moto 360 £200 over here. Thats a very good price point IMO. It the range that if your just looking for a nice watch its in there.

Its a nice looking device, the bit at the bottom of the dial is a shame but not major. Wouldn't put me off the device
A2H GO

5th Sep 14 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates shipping me one over from the states.
Rob_Quads

5th Sep 14 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it really worth shipping it? It's only around £30 cheaper before shipping. Would much rather pay the £30, get it from John Lewis and know I have a great warranty behind it. Specially with these being such new tech
A2H GO

5th Sep 14 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not waiting another month, plus it'll probably go on eBay if an iWatch comes out next week.

New Poll