corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wiring back in a ciggie lighter? for a long trip

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wiring back in a ciggie lighter? for a long trip
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th May 14 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning guys

going nurburgring end of next month in the Corsa but realised im gonna need a cig lighter port to plug in either my phone charger or satnav etc

ripped it all out with other stuff in the pursuit of weight loss but now in hindsight not a clever move

Bearing in mind the battery is relocated in the boot whats the best way to go about this, get a cig lighter obviously but need a way to wire it up to the battery so I can charge stuff while on the trip

never really bothered me before as I was always not too far from tracks or events that I need a charger or satnav but think I might need one this time,

cheers
gazza808

15th May 14 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not hard, run a wire from pos side of battery, or even nick a switched pos from under dash,

Connect that to a inline fuse holder, connect that to a cig socket, then ground the other side.
Obviously using a switched live is better as you won't run your battery flat leaving something plugged in.
alan-g-w

15th May 14 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your best bet at this point would be a multi socket adapter with 3 or 4 ports, just hard wired to the switched live as suggested.
pow
Premium Member

15th May 14 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get one of those 4way things, cut the plug off, stick in line fuse on it and run it from any decent thickness black wire under the dash
oceansoul

15th May 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure to use a fuse what ever way you go about it!
tom130691
Premium Member

15th May 14 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul

there will be a fuse in the satnav plug anyway
gazza808

15th May 14 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:

That doesn't stop the wiring burning out...
--ToM--

15th May 14 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inline fuse is a must i would use ignition live feed not direct from battery save accidentally forgetting and flattening battery when turning car off and leaving things plugged in
Graham88

18th May 14 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you go on eBay & buy a cigarette lighter socket they come with a fuse anyway, then just steal a live & earth from somewhere
Ian
Site Administrator

18th May 14 at 01:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:

If you're taking a feed from the battery, you want it fused fairly close to source so that the wire doesn't ground if its damaged on the way to the dash.

Don't even consider relying on the fuse in the accessory, only need a 5p to drop in the socket and you'll have a free Corsa-shaped barbeque for your trip.

[Edited on 18-05-2014 by Ian]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wiring back in a ciggie lighter? for a long trip 23 database queries in 0.0099981 seconds