corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Speaker wiring & banana plugs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speaker wiring & banana plugs
Pop

User status: Offline
6th Sep 14 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to be getting a new av receiver for my home cinema setup and am planning on upgrading the current wiring at the same time.

There's loads of options out there but I was wondering if anyone can personally recommend wiring that is suitable for running under carpet? Also, those of you who use banana plugs, which do you recommend?

Cheers
John

6th Sep 14 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran normal cable along the edges before the carpet was put down, it's about as thick as the gripper rod.
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get flat speaker wire, but I've got quite chunky stuff running round the edges as John described.

Never got round to banana plugs, keep putting it off - but it would make things easier.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and did you know banana plugs are (or at least were) illegal to sell/use in Europe?

I believe the UK is now excluded, but there are some twin fittings which were an exact fit for EU power sockets - so they got banned

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Pop

7th Sep 14 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replies.

Do you run the cable between the gripper rod and skirting? Or inside the gripper rod?

When I've done it before I went on the inside.
John

7th Sep 14 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inside if you can do it before carpet goes down, I've also done it outside though.
Dom

7th Sep 14 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get QED flat-cable for around £1/1.50 pm; might be worth looking around (Amazon etc) for that. Although if you can fit half decent cable (2.5mm stuff ideally) around the gripper/ between the underlay then you're laughing tbh.

As for banana plugs, they're all much alike (apart from stupidly expensive silver plated stuff) tbf so what ever you can lay your hands on.

[Edited on 07-09-2014 by Dom]

New Poll