corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel fell off...reasons?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel fell off...reasons?
ChazSXi

User status: Offline
17th Nov 14 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anybody help.

A friend was driving and out a of the blue the wheel ripped off and she crashed. Thankfully she has walked away damage free (save for some stiffness)

She has been to the car and the insurance inspector has advised the axle snapped which then resulted in the wheel coming off.

Now the thing is...on the MOT in March (she bought it's month ago) it has a wheel bearing replacement. Also the MOT apparently notes wheel bearings VSi applies. see VTS for details.

Should this be investigated furher or simply a bad luck story?
ChazSXi

17th Nov 14 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She has also confirmed wheel bearing NSr was replaced and that was the wheel that came off.
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say she has a leg to stand on, anything could have happened since March .... if it had fell off the next day, then she may be able to complain.

Hope she has full comp insurance?

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
ChazSXi

17th Nov 14 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by basslinecorsa
I wouldn't say she has a leg to stand on, anything could have happened since March .... if it had fell off the next day, then she may be able to complain.

Hope she has full comp insurance?

I was curious if the wheel bearing pattern part may have been defective causing the wheel to lock and axle to snap? Then she may be able to claim for the product being defective as it is to be expected to last more than six months.

Just wondering on the mechanical side or whether the two wouldn't be linked?

[Edited on 17-11-2014 by ChazSXi]
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if you could prove that the bearing was defective, most manufacturing companies has a cop-out small print in their terms and conditions that absolves them from any liability for any claim for damages or losses resulting from the fitment (or mis fitment) of the product. At best you may be able to claim the cost of the bearing back ....

To be honest I doubt that the bearing was to blame, they are a precision manufactured component and the tolerances involved are very very tight. When it comes to machining, you don't get any better than a bearing manufacturer

[Edited on 17-11-2014 by basslinecorsa]

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Steve
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv had a poorly manufactured bearing fail on me after 30 miles.

A guy on the landrover forum bought some swivel axle balls, and drove to morocco, whilst over there one of them snapped and he was stranded, he managed to get the supplier to pay for everything, including damages because it was found the metal cast wasn't up to standards

ChazSXi

17th Nov 14 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Iv had a poorly manufactured bearing fail on me after 30 miles.

A guy on the landrover forum bought some swivel axle balls, and drove to morocco, whilst over there one of them snapped and he was stranded, he managed to get the supplier to pay for everything, including damages because it was found the metal cast wasn't up to standards

Thanks v useful.

The legal side I'm fine on but mechanically I can't fathom if a bearing failed whether it would snap an axle

It can be found that the product was not of satisfactory quality nor fit for purpose. Then there is a legitimate claim.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might snap a stub axle
alan-g-w

17th Nov 14 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kind of car was it? An overtightened brand new bearing would fail within this timescale if that applies. If it's the same setup as a B you need to 'set' it rather than just horse it up.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Nov 14 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What has snapped? Stub axle?

You'd need to see it to see exactly what has caused/contributed to it but if that is the case and the wheel has left the vehicle because the drum is no longer tight because the hub nut is attached to the loose stub then the fault lies with the stub failing.

To get that much leverage you'd need a fairly good weld up on the bearing which means lots and lots of heat. Which probably means even if the bearing has failed then you'd still need to drive around on it until the whole assembly got so hot it adhered to the stub.

There's probably a manufacturing / fitting aspect to the failure but bearing failure doesn't mean the wheel falls off. You need other factors at play, namely not noticing and continuing to use the car.

For that reason I think she'd probably not want to pursue it too far although she's also not expected to know what is going on so I can't see that they'll blame her. But probably not something you can pass on to parts or labour.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My B snapped a stub axle. Rather scary at the time.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
alan-g-w

17th Nov 14 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was like I explained above Ian, the stub would probably snap with the hub nut still tight since the inner race of the bearing could quite easily friction weld itself to the shaft. I remember someone posted on here a few years ago with a red B with the exact same problem and the drum was still bolted to the back of his wheel

[Edited on 17-11-2014 by alan-g-w]
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Nov 14 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my point was that you'd need to drive it a bit for the friction weld to occur.

Whether that means its the driver's problem or the garage who fitted it is the debate but surely you'd notice that going on.
ChazSXi

18th Nov 14 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stub axle snapped I understand. No noticeable noise just snapped when doing 70mph.

Seems not fault of bearing just thought I would explore whether it was to blame. Thanks for help
gazza808

19th Nov 14 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen a few where the thread part sheers, or the bearing seizes spins on the stub shaft, and unwinds the nut, sheering the cottage pin like butter

[Edited on 19-11-2014 by gazza808]
Brett
Premium Member

19th Nov 14 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously stained knickers there

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel fell off...reasons? 24 database queries in 0.0130529 seconds