corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snow tyres
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Dec 14 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Braking is never going to match proper axle locks John, for a start you are killing drive to a wheel to try and balance it across the shaft, it does work and is quite effective, but proper mechanical axle locks still allows the wheels to retain powered turning at all times rather than killing power to them

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by Steve]
Wrighty

18th Dec 14 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IF it snows and u gotta drive to work no doubt these would come in handy

Having bought a 330d in july this is my first winter with a RWD car and was debating these, but at £144 a corner for yokohama's i think il just dial in to work if it snows
John

18th Dec 14 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Braking is never going to match proper axle locks John, for a start you are killing drive to a wheel to try and balance it across the shaft, it does work and is quite effective, but proper mechanical axle locks still allows the wheels to retain powered turning at all times rather than killing power to them

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by Steve]

Better in general, probably, better driving the kids to school, which is the only thing people debating whether to buy winter tyres or not will be doing, no.
Ben G

18th Dec 14 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
IF it snows and u gotta drive to work no doubt these would come in handy

Having bought a 330d in july this is my first winter with a RWD car and was debating these, but at £144 a corner for yokohama's i think il just dial in to work if it snows

My first winter in a rwd car turned out to be a snowy one.

Fact is, the rwd car managed to drive everywhere. The fwd focus couldn't get out of my road.
Lee_fr200

18th Dec 14 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just run my pirellis that the car originally came with no idea if they're summer tyres or all weather pzero neros

I can honestly say I've never needed winter tyres my car even performed better one year with bald tyres and then got stuck with new tyres (figure that one out!!!!)

But this year is different I'm covering a larger area for work which includes the North Yorkshire moors Castleton Whitby Scarborough etc etc and I've never experienced them roads during winter so I'm thinking I might need snow tyres this year but we will see.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Dec 14 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

The modern stuff is very quick though, like it'll brake any discrepancies in fractions of a second, adjust according to steering angle etc.

Diffs can't do that.

[Edited on 20-12-2014 by Ian]
Andrew

20th Dec 14 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's quite clear snow tyres make a difference.

My opinion is, if you need snow tyres to get to work or the local shop, unless necessarily required, don't drive. In this country snow or ice will last a few days max.

We have some local shops and if my boss wants me driving about to visit customers they can provide me with a vehicle and insurance.
GB123
Premium Member

20th Dec 14 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not just for snow and ice though.
Ben G

20th Dec 14 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can't drive with summer tyres on in cold weather where there is no ice, you shouldn't be allowed on the road.
GB123
Premium Member

21st Dec 14 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not a question of simply 'not being able to drive' though, it's about making the vehicle itself safer.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Dec 14 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My issue isn't that they don't work at all, as I said before its how people think it will make them invincible in the snow. The reality is, it will only really help in pretty mild, perhaps a few inches of snow conditions, the type of conditions you could manage through on normal tyres anyway with a bit of careful driving. In addition, how often do we really have even mild snowy conditions anyway?

In terrible conditions they are going to be no benefit, and if your driving is poor, eg the average road user, they are also not going to help. Its a pretty rare set of circumstances to see any benefit in this country for an expensive outlay.

Then we have the argument about cold air temperatures and the fact the rubber remains softer on winter tyres, well I can honestly say I have never had any issues at all in cold air temperatures on normal tyres, and I don't exactly drive like a granny either. It doesnt help that the manufacturers start trying to scare people into buying them with statements like "you need them if the temperature drops below 6 degrees" yeah alright then, fuck off

I suppose if you can afford to spend 600 quid a year just because the seasons change then go for it, otherwise its a pretty big investment for small gains imo.

[Edited on 21-12-2014 by Steve]
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Dec 14 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't be £600 a year though would it, not if you have a second set of winter wheels (like quite a few in the 'modifying' world seem to). If you're using winter tyres then for all those miles your other tyres aren't getting worn, and vice versa. There's the initial outlay, but in terms of money spent in the long run there shouldn't really be any difference. Just the added pain of having to change all of your wheels over twice a year.

MX5 Project Thread

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow tyres 24 database queries in 0.0132039 seconds