corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Service book stamping

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Service book stamping
deano87

User status: Offline
31st Aug 15 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Most main dealer techs I have ever come across seem to be clueless twats where 9 times out of 10 I'm telling them what the problem is.

Before people start getting in a rage and typing out furious replies, I am aware there are some decent and very knowledgeable ones out there too. But main dealer doesn't = high standards imo

Family friend who works at a large Ford dealership. Whilst he's a car nut, he won't listen to me when I reckon the coil pack is on its way out causing the stuttering etc. Whilst the internet is fully of bullshit, it is a recurring sympton and cure.

He's sure nothings wrong with it as the EML isn't on
Ben G

31st Aug 15 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately the majority of mechanics at dealerships have to go by the book, literally. It's company policy, especially at Ford.

So you telling them something doesn't mean they will check it. They will have steps and checking the coilpack may be number 59 on the list.
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Aug 15 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not had a single stamp in this Subaru book since I've had the car, and to be honest I've really slacked on keeping reciepts too for the DIY oil and filter changes etc

I don't for a minute thing it should make my car worth any less, but if you look at the Subaru second hand market it's full of people who keep massive binders and all historic tax disks (wtf?) and a full diary of every car wash and magic tree that it's had. If two equal cars were listed, and one had the recorded history mine has got - I'd struggle to sell

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

31st Aug 15 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think pointing to your build would help sell yours
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Aug 15 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
I think pointing to your build would help sell yours

Perhaps, after I delete the 60 pages of things that didn't go to plan

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

31st Aug 15 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll agree a lot of main dealerships are jokes when it comes to the service departments
Myself and the lads I work with, if it's in for a service that includes brake fluid or coolant or what ever. It gets done.

When I worked in a backstreet I was always told if you use genuine parts and oils you will keep the warrantee. Working in a main dealer I know that's not true atall. Not saying it will void your warrantee but basically they will decide on the day.

As for people saying main dealer mechanics are shite and don't have a clue. that's just not true
As has been said above We have rules and diagnostic procedures to follow.
If a customer turns up telling me there coilpack is on the way out and it needs replacing under warrantee there's a long list of shite I have to go through to prove to Renault/Nissan that there is a problem. Wiring checks. Resistance checks. Photos for evidence. Blah blah blah. So when you bring your car in saying it's been misfiring and it doesn't do it for us.. We can't just replace parts off your diagnostics.
Makes us look like pricks that "don't have a clue" but it's procedure and to keep our jobs weve got to do it.

[Edited on 31-08-2015 by FlaFFy_91]
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Aug 15 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Our lasses dad has to have his own company set up to work offshore and earns less than £82k

You can be vat registered under the threshold but it ends up Causing lots of grief.

No more grief than if you're doing it because you have to.

I think its used for the servicing criteria to put a bit of a barrier in place so your old mate from down the road can't claim they're running a competent operation when its in fact a sideline in between shifts at Subway.

[Edited on 31-08-2015 by Ian]
Dom

1st Sep 15 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You can be vat registered under the threshold but it ends up Causing lots of grief.

What 'grief' is there if you voluntary register for VAT apart from the extra bit of paperwork (which isn't particularly difficult and if you have an accountant then they'll deal with all anyway)?
The only issue is if you mostly deal with non-VAT registered customers as you have to charge VAT on your services/goods.

quote:
Our lasses dad has to have his own company set up to work offshore and earns less than £82k

He's a contractor and most contractors are VAT registered because you can claim against that 'business expense' TV you ran through the company

[Edited on 01-09-2015 by Dom]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

1st Sep 15 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and the fact you keep a % of the VAT. 20% to customer i keep iirc 6%
deano87

1st Sep 15 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
I'll agree a lot of main dealerships are jokes when it comes to the service departments
Myself and the lads I work with, if it's in for a service that includes brake fluid or coolant or what ever. It gets done.

When I worked in a backstreet I was always told if you use genuine parts and oils you will keep the warrantee. Working in a main dealer I know that's not true atall. Not saying it will void your warrantee but basically they will decide on the day.

As for people saying main dealer mechanics are shite and don't have a clue. that's just not true
As has been said above We have rules and diagnostic procedures to follow.
If a customer turns up telling me there coilpack is on the way out and it needs replacing under warrantee there's a long list of shite I have to go through to prove to Renault/Nissan that there is a problem. Wiring checks. Resistance checks. Photos for evidence. Blah blah blah. So when you bring your car in saying it's been misfiring and it doesn't do it for us.. We can't just replace parts off your diagnostics.
Makes us look like pricks that "don't have a clue" but it's procedure and to keep our jobs weve got to do it.

[Edited on 31-08-2015 by FlaFFy_91]

Person I referenced knows what he's talking about. Just worked at a dealership so long it's ingrained.

I think what you cited is an issue that most "dealerships" are franchises and then have to claim warranties from the manufacturer. The average customer probably believes they are actually dealing with the manufacturer when they aren't.
Jimbothebarbarian

1st Sep 15 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
and the fact you keep a % of the VAT. 20% to customer i keep iirc 6%

Eh? I used to be VAT reg. Fucked if I heard of that one!

How does that work then?
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 15 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme/vat-flat-rates
Jimbothebarbarian

1st Sep 15 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When did that lot come in? Was ten years ago when I was doing it mind, never a mention of this from the accountant!
Dom

1st Sep 15 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
When did that lot come in?

About ten years ago. Helps if you're a small business or contracting but you can't reclaim VAT on majority of purchases (i believe there are a few situations where you can, no idea what though).
MikeF86

2nd Sep 15 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91

Completely wrong. If using gen parts, at a vat registered garage sticking to,manufacturers schedule, they not void your warranty, neither can they 'decide on the day'
Joe

2nd Sep 15 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't even have to use genuine parts, so long as they are of OE quality it doesn't matter.
MikeF86

2nd Sep 15 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct Joe. Someone with some sense it seems.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Service book stamping 24 database queries in 0.0119069 seconds