corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » taking out car insurance and then cancelling instead of using temp insurance....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author taking out car insurance and then cancelling instead of using temp insurance....
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Nov 15 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone done this before?

Picking up my new car on sunday and unforunatly the civic isnt sold yet. So need to have both cars insured incase anything was to happen to either of them.

So i can either insure the new car @ £50 a day or £140 a week with temp cover.

or take out a policy with elephant for £500 for the year (expensive as its with zero no claims) and then cancel it once the civic is sold as I will move the new car over to by current policy with sky using my no claims discount to make it nice and cheap.

So after calling elephant its a £25 cancellation fee or £50 if after 28 days and a pro rata refund of the remaing days.
This to me sounds like the better option as I dont know how long I am going to have the civic for. If I pay £140 for a weeks temp cover and still have the civic im back to sqaure one. If I do this I have as long as I need.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say just to make sure on the charges. Some company's are extortionate when it comes to cancelling insurance!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Generation

12th Nov 15 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You still have to pay that months worth of insurance thoigh, don't you?

So it's a months worth of insurance plus cancellation fee?

I'm only guessing at that
Nic Barnes

12th Nov 15 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some shoe laces tied together and tow it with your push bike johnny86 style
DaveyLC

12th Nov 15 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't you just spend THIRTEEN FUCKING GRAND on this new car?!?!?! What are you thinking? INSURE IT PROPERLY YOU TWAT.

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by DaveyLC]
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Didn't you just spend THIRTEEN FUCKING GRAND on this new car?!?!?! What are you thinking? INSURE IT PROPERLY YOU TWAT.

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by DaveyLC]

Aye?
thats what I am talking about. Insuring it properly that why I asked.

Usually I have an old £1500 quid car that I scrap or sell so just leave it un insured on my drive.

But this time I have two valuble cars so want them both insured hence this post.

My only question was as to what would work best out of the above two options

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by gavin18787]

gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
You still have to pay that months worth of insurance thoigh, don't you?

So it's a months worth of insurance plus cancellation fee?

I'm only guessing at that

I phoned and their prices seem reasonale. If its a whole month I lose thats still not bad. Say thier max quoted cancelling fee of £50 plus £41 for a month of insurance is still less then a weeks worth of temp cover.
Just trying to find it in writing rather then just the call centre mans word.

tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Which is exactly what it will be if insured through Elephant with zero no claims
DaveyLC

12th Nov 15 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787

Why would you even consider temporary cover on the £13k motor?

Just put it on a proper FC policy
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787

Why would you even consider temporary cover on the £13k motor?

Just put it on a proper FC policy

the temp cover is FC also with the same excess and cover as the elephant annual quote.

DaveyLC

12th Nov 15 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're clearly keeping the motor so do it properly, move your new car to your old policy (so you don't lose the NCB) then chuck the old one on a new short term policy.
kz

12th Nov 15 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried Aviva?

I just drove a car back on day insurance and the best Confused could get me was £46. However Aviva done it for £33... not worth the hassle the other ways round it tbh.

Full accident repair/recovery thing was £1.60
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you're clearly keeping the motor so do it properly, move your new car to your old policy (so you don't lose the NCB) then chuck the old one on a new short term policy.

Civic has to stay on the policy that its on due all the declared mods. Plus the Gt86 is alot cheaper to insure with 0 no claims then an old civic type r for some reason.

Think I will risk the cancelation fees on a annual policy as I dont know how long I will have both cars.

gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps just found it in writing in the small print on the elephant site, job done

"3) Cancellation after 14 days.
If you cancel your elephant.co.uk Motor Insurance policy after the 14 day cooling off period but before the end of its term, EUI Limited will charge an intermediary fee of £47.50 to cover the costs of setting up your policy and arranging for it to be cancelled."

Hopefully the civic will be sold within 14 days so should be even less.

Rob R

12th Nov 15 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gav have you spoke to Sky about insuring an additional car on your current policy?

I've just done it with Greenlight and cost £50 for 14 days cover, worth a try as I'm sure Sky (shudders) offered it to me before when I was insured with them as well.
deano87

12th Nov 15 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1) phone current insurer to add 2nd car and see what they say. And explain what's going on. I think you'll be surprised. They'll add the old car onto a temp cover policy for 7 days at a time. Someone at work did this.

2) If the above doesn't work, don't claim on the new policy. You'll be stuck with it for the year etc.
antnee

12th Nov 15 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give Sky a ring and see if they can temp cover it. My missus did that when she had got her new car but still trying to sell the old one. Cost about £50 extra
Jimbothebarbarian

12th Nov 15 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky cost a fecking fortune to do anything. I tried to swap my insurance over from the vxr to the dmax. Amazingly they couldn't so I had to cancel the vxr policy at huge cost and start a fresh policy for the dmax. Policy was supposed to be like for like I noticed a couple of weeks ago they'd dropped the mileage on the new policy. Rang up to increase it and boom another fifty quid "fee" biggest bunch of robbing twunts I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Nov 15 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob R
Gav have you spoke to Sky about insuring an additional car on your current policy?

I've just done it with Greenlight and cost £50 for 14 days cover, worth a try as I'm sure Sky (shudders) offered it to me before when I was insured with them as well.

They were the first port of call. They said they cant do anything as the company that they put my insurance through doesnt offer it. Can only off tempt cover @ 50 a day through a seperate company

antnee

13th Nov 15 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
Sky cost a fecking fortune to do anything. I tried to swap my insurance over from the vxr to the dmax. Amazingly they couldn't so I had to cancel the vxr policy at huge cost and start a fresh policy for the dmax. Policy was supposed to be like for like I noticed a couple of weeks ago they'd dropped the mileage on the new policy. Rang up to increase it and boom another fifty quid "fee" biggest bunch of robbing twunts I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Isn't a DMAX a pick up truck? If so it is a commercial vehicle and it is different to insure and a normal car hence why they couldn't swap it over.
Jimbothebarbarian

13th Nov 15 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True it is a pick up. Strangely though I've had absolutely no problems getting quotes elsewhere for it as a private vehicle. Infact when I've asked if other companies would've been able to swap they all said yes of course.

Maybe I was just unlucky. Just seems strange they had to cancel, and the 'fees' wiped out all but £70 of my remaining premium. Then strangely they can't refund me that £70 as the card I paid it on has expired so they're holding the money for me! They wouldn't knock it off the new policy as they needed to 'work it out properly first' the list of excuses is ridiculous.

I can feel myself ranting now ha!

[Edited on 13-11-2015 by Jimbothebarbarian]
Nic Barnes

13th Nov 15 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could have swapped my transporter on to the policy my bmw was on no issues even though it's a commercial vehicle. It was just more expensive so I didn't.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » taking out car insurance and then cancelling instead of using temp insurance.... 24 database queries in 0.0140150 seconds