corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I have an Insignia VXR - pics and brief write up

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I have an Insignia VXR - pics and brief write up
BYRON

User status: Offline
4th Nov 09 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had this for 2 days now. Goes back in another 2...
My appraisal is lifted loosely from a document I complete internally, and it might upset some.

The criteria i look at complete with a few words. I try not to get technical, but remain quite fluffy and try to look through the eyes of the used car buyer when I can;

Driver Comfort - Recaro seats were really the focus in the cabin. Providing masses of adjutsment and refinement.

Passenger Comfort - Contoured dash gives ample leg room.

Luggage Space - Good, although saloon bodystyle restricts some flexibility

Ride - Firm on the 20" wheels, but not uncomfortable. Fairly stiff with little roll.

Handling - Dissapointing. 4WD gave no comfort and felt like it was understeering even on dry roads. Brembo brakes were very sharp. Enough to make your passengers feel ill.

Interior quality feel - Ok, not germanic. Built well, some plastics were a little cheap and some fit and finish was a little lazy.

Equipment - This had optional nav, leather, metallic and wheels. Standard spec is acceptable and the full leather and 20's wont give a big residual hike if any.

Controls - Scrolling through the trip computer wasn’t straight forward and nav wasnt intuitive

Engine noise - Addictive.

Engine power - On paper, this car tells a compelling story - real life presents nothing but an underwhelming 'what could have been'. Lazy power but useable across the rev range.

Fuel consumption - Horrendous. Even off boost this thing drinks fuel. 15mpg at best

Appearance - Big, bulky and intimidating yet understated - Vauxhall could have done a little more with the styling cues.

Value for money - Again, on paper this thing needs to be considered against the obvious premium rivals. Poor residuals will do the car no favours.

Overall impression - On paper this car tells a compelling story. In reality and in real world environment, it fails to deliver. My exposure to cars each day could be attributed to the negativity as I am comparing all the time - but I wanted to be impartial. Im sure the person in a Vectra VXR would love to upgrade to the Insignia, but I cant see who would descend into the brand from germanic rivals.
FAZ
Premium Member

4th Nov 09 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still think id rather won an astra vxr, especially after reading that

[Edited on 04-11-2009 by FAZ]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

4th Nov 09 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks quite tame really... Dissapointing.

Benn's favourite pic place.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
AlexN
Banned

4th Nov 09 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never seen a car review with the word "compelling" used twice
Ojc

4th Nov 09 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do feel you reviews are about as close to honest as what you could get, you have a love of Vauxhalls but your job requires you to be honest.

Tell me more about the understeer with 4WD on dry roads.

What is it's main competitor? The Audi what?

It's true about Vauxhall though, it's always up to the owner to finish the job that Vauxhall started, a few quid spent here and there and you usually have a much better car.

Interior wise I agree, the Corsa VXR was the start for me in the downturn in quailty with regards to only SOME of the plastics, door cards especially have become very flimsy and the feel has taken a nose dive, but then some parts are much improved.

Vauxhall improve some parts massively, then in other areas cut the costs and effects other areas.

BUT

With the news this morning that GM are to keep Vauxhall & Opel due to them being the only profit making companies within General Motors I can only see this as an advantage in the long run.
ed

4th Nov 09 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not a bad looking car, but there's nothing exciting about the design either - typical of Vauxhall. I think a lot of German cars have the same problem, but then they have a badge on the front which makes people mess their pants and spend lots of money.

[Edited on 04-11-2009 by ed]
Ojc

4th Nov 09 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, a car like an Audi can be bland and dull to drive and understeer like the worst thing in the world, but due to the badge people will pay over the odds and get a lower spec car with a tape player and wind down windows just to have a German badge on their drive.
Daimo B

4th Nov 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine power is probably hampered by the weight of the thing.

Whats the list price for the car you had with those options?

15mpg driving easy, is simply shocking in todays "doo gooder save fuel save the world" for a normal family car..

As asked, what would you say was its rivals in the market today?
Chris x

4th Nov 09 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont no anything about these.

What BHP are they? What size engine? Turbo?

It doesnt look to fancy from the outside which is a shame!
Ojc

4th Nov 09 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

315bhp 2.8 Twin Scroll Turbo 4WD.

They have one at my local Vauxhall, I'm going to have a look at it on Saturday I think if it's still there and see if I can get a test drive.
ed

4th Nov 09 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Audi A4
BMW 3 Series
Mazda 6
Alfa 159
Merc C Class
Stu

4th Nov 09 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really like that!!!

BUT its only £3k cheaper than the new Audi S4 and Im sorry but if I were spending £30k+ on a new car Id have to go with the Audi!!!

BYRON

4th Nov 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not always (although do) compare performance vs. performance or package vs. package.
Im dealing in pound notes (trade) in an auction environment and alot of the time it is what will my £8k, £9k £10k get me etc...

[Edited on 04-11-2009 by BYRON]
mwg

4th Nov 09 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the S4 is better then? Thats meant to be a very good drive. Going off Evo mag and they dont usually rate the fast Audi's.
Ojc

4th Nov 09 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stu, that is Vauxhall list price. I think you could get a massive discount off that price, where as you won't with the Audi.
BYRON

4th Nov 09 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
So the S4 is better then? Thats meant to be a very good drive. Going off Evo mag and they dont usually rate the fast Audi's.

Not driven the S4 yet tbh, but ordinarily I dont believe a new car owner would even consider the VXR if they have S4 money to spend.
I only have experience of the RS4 - which is now discontinued.
BYRON

4th Nov 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Stu, that is Vauxhall list price. I think you could get a massive discount off that price, where as you won't with the Audi.

One word. Astons.

ed

4th Nov 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure Astons will somehow sell it for £10k less than list like usual
ed

4th Nov 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£26,477
Stu

4th Nov 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

My honest answer is..........I havent a clue because I havent driven either of them!

Im a badge snob, I never really realised but I must be! I just couldnt spend £31k on a Vauxhall when the Audi equivalent (with more power) is only £3k more!? At the end of the day big cars like these generally arent going to be the most exciting to drive anyway, they are never going to see a track and cos of their weight they arent going to be the best handlers!

I do really like the Vauxhall though!!!

Stu

4th Nov 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Yeah, I havent taken that into consideration I have just gone off list prices!
Jambo

4th Nov 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the reason people will buy german is the fact the Vx will be a depreciation disaster!

Veccy vxrs availible for silly money only a year old.

Be mad to buy one new
Jambo

4th Nov 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that said i think they look great, maybe a tad too understated in grey, ive seen an Arden estate and it looked stunning. That front bumper is so farking cool!

Bargains to be had in 1yr/18months time
Ojc

4th Nov 09 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
£26,477

That is awesome, HELL of a lot of car for the money.

Second hand one in a year or so would be a performance bargain.

£19k with low mileage. Remap, exhaust, decent springs. SMASH.
BYRON

4th Nov 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by ed
£26,477

That is awesome, HELL of a lot of car for the money.

Second hand one in a year or so would be a performance bargain.

£19k with low mileage. Remap, exhaust, decent springs. SMASH.

try 49% retained value at 12mths 10k old

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I have an Insignia VXR - pics and brief write up 24 database queries in 0.0155709 seconds