corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 18's and joint wear

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 18's and joint wear
AdiSRI

User status: Offline
21st Mar 04 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the problem with 18's and the extra wear on joints etc... to do with their weight? or is it other factors?

I was thinking of getting White 18" Pro-race 2's as they are supposed to be quite light, would this solve the wear problem??
Darz

21st Mar 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh i was wondering the same, what about 19's?

Anyone have 19's on here???
ed

21st Mar 04 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the rotating weight of the wheel. They wear out your joints, bearings and driveshafts...
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Mar 04 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a question of leverage so no, lighter weight wheels won't solve the problem completely.

To be honest, everything that wears suspension-wise is shot on mine and that's had 14s and 15s on all its life. It all goes eventually!
AdiSRI

21st Mar 04 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but u hear about ars like skrivs and it makes me scared to go with big wheels!!

Anyone think white pro races 2's wud go well on a white car??
Darz

21st Mar 04 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they'd look well tidy.

If your not sure though think about it before you go for it, lot of money to spend then not like them!
AdamF
Premium Member

21st Mar 04 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think 18s are ok to an extent mate although they do strain them, any bigger is when you start having problems
Hammer Man

21st Mar 04 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its a question of leverage so no, lighter weight wheels won't solve the problem completely.

True.

Offset is an issue too. It will be hard to find the correct offset that fits the Corsa perfectly because of the overall diameter (another big issue) that will be always bigger than it should. They will be always less offset than they should.

Rotational inertia (too much weight in the outer parts of the diameter) can not be helped too.

So, too much problems just for one extra inch... 17s will be a much better choice. Most performance enthusiasts would rather not exceed the 16 in diameter...

They upset the suspension work too.

Too much to loose just for aesthetics...
luca2020

21st Mar 04 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 18s, no problems at all, but ive gone for looks not speed

if u want speed i wouldent get any bigger than 15s
Joff

21st Mar 04 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With regards to rotational inertia, surely the weight of the wheel would have a big part in this?

With a good offset and a lightweight wheel, the only downside will be the diameter of the wheel itself.
AdiSRI

21st Mar 04 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed joff, the pro races are Et45 7.5 x 18 as far as i know. Will this fit, as i have reservations about the 7.5" width.....
Joff

21st Mar 04 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd rather they were 7J wide, but if you've got your heart set on 18s then you can't be as choosy

7.5J will go on of course, you'll just need to consider the arch mods necessary.
AdiSRI

21st Mar 04 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have got psg wide archs to go on, i was considering Dare V2's in 7 x 18 ET45 aswell but they look a bitch to clean and thats high on my list of priorities.
Joff

21st Mar 04 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pro Race 2s are so easy to clean - there's a couple of tight spots, but a rag or wheel brush is fine on them.

Black's are still a shit colour for brake dust - they end up looking grey instead of black

A few good doses of wax will keep them tidy
Hammer Man

21st Mar 04 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
With regards to rotational inertia, surely the weight of the wheel would have a big part in this?

With a good offset and a lightweight wheel, the only downside will be the diameter of the wheel itself.

Quite a bit easier to say the things you want when I do it in portuguese...

But i'll try anyway:

Rotational inertia is weight related. No doubt about it. But, even when u got two different sets the bigger one will have a bigger momentum, since the weight is concetrated "outer" in the wheel diameter.

What kind of difference does it makes in the real world I wouldn't know for sure, but IT MAKES a difference. Maybe a marginal difference, but it exists.

And the offset is limited because the big tires won't fit perfectly with a reasonable OEM-like offset. Std offset is 49. What kind of offset you guys run in 18s? My guess is somewhere around 42... Less and the wheel goes outside of the car and more it contacts the dampers and the car itself because they are pretty wider...

Dammit... I just can not express myself properly... Got to lern your language a little bit better

AdiSRI

21st Mar 04 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got ure u2u, but im really not keen on black wheels at all.
Is there a long wait for pro race wheels and wat sorta price for the white 18's?
Also for white 17's
Hammer Man

21st Mar 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To have a better explanation, we have to compare the options:
18 ins:

Offset
widt
overall diameter
overall weight

And so on for the wheels that are in the car right now.

then we will be able to establish some comparison...
AdiSRI

21st Mar 04 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car at the mo runs on

ET45
7.5"
16"
A lot!!!

Pro Race 2's are

ET45
7.5"
18"
8.2 Kg Each
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Mar 04 at 23:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer Man
Dammit... I just can not express myself properly... Got to lern your language a little bit better
You already know it better than a lot of people in this country
AdiSRI

21st Mar 04 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i was impressed!
Joff

21st Mar 04 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was impressed by his name...

i wonder if he wears baggy trousers...
Nath

22nd Mar 04 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer Man
You already know it better than a lot of people in this country

Hammer Man

22nd Mar 04 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
my car at the mo runs on

ET45
7.5"
16"
A lot!!!

Pro Race 2's are

ET45
7.5"
18"
8.2 Kg Each

Well... I've already mounted 16x7 TSWs offset 44 in a GSI and this setup eventually caused some tir to fender contact at the back when negotiating bumps... 195 45

In another car, 7,5 205/45 yokohamas and more offset we had the opositte problem outside fender contact.

Inner offsets with lowered cars surely will cause inside contact mainly at the rear, but i Belive that with 18s it will happen with front fenders too...

Am I getting crazy here or the 18 guys are just happy and satisfied wit some "rrrkk rrrrkk"?

Well if these are the dimensions of this wheel, they arey VERY light. My Mille Miglias HT3 17s are heavier.

I think that for most cases the 16s re the best choice and even the looks of the 18s is too much. It seems that they are yelling: "LOOK AT ME PLEASE" The car seems to loose its proportions. Paint them white and it will look like a gigantic RC car...

I (that's just my opinion of course) would use 15s if i needed liitle more "meat" 16s for the "normal" cars and 17s for very short gearboxes turbocharged cars like we have in the 4 cyl 1,0 liter here. It compensates it a little bit.

I really wouldn't consider 18s an option if it is a performance car.

But you know... Some people like the wheels always bigger, the tires always smaller and the car always lower... It is a lifestyle! Anyway, this is too much conversation and too little action... "Just do it!" If you think the looks worth it.

Joff

22nd Mar 04 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but what about your trousers?

Hammer Man

22nd Mar 04 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff

i wonder if he wears baggy trousers...

Don't worry my mom didn't let me use them when they were fashion... A lot of people thinks this kind of thing...

Well you know... Sometimes when things get rough there is only one tool that solves the problem... That's why.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 18's and joint wear 22 database queries in 0.0153689 seconds