corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Z20LET - Dump Valve and Induction advice...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Z20LET - Dump Valve and Induction advice...
BarryAstra

User status: Offline
19th Aug 04 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate of mine has just bought a Mk4 GSi...doesnt know much about the tuning etc and neither do I

anyway he wants an induction kit and a dump valve

best options please...
big eck

19th Aug 04 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regal offer good tuning stuff for the mk4 gsi
Teddy

19th Aug 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont touch Regal in my experience - never get the goods you pay for.

Speak to Courtenay that will sort you out.
Patrick

19th Aug 04 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello mate, best option with the z20let is the standard dump valve mate. A lot of people with this engine have gone for an aftermarket version and have had nothing but problems, most common being a loss in power and occasionally AMM problems. Best Induction kit for the z20let is thought to be the CDA carbon induction system, heard nothing but praise about these. I'm getting one very soon. Keep clear from Pipercross especially the Viper, may look cool but again has been known to affect the AMM.

Tuning wise, Regal and Courtenay offer generic maps which they can download onto your ECU in 3 stages.

My advice would be to talk to AmD Technik. They really know there stuff and offer a custom map for the z20let. I have had this done and my car now runs 240bhp and 270lb/ft.

If you want more info, log onto www.astra-sport.co.uk as there are a lot of people clued up on there when it comes to Astra Turbo's. There is also a website www.zlet.co.uk which is specifically for Vauxhall cars with the z20let engine and you may find that very informative.

Hope I've helped.
Scrappy Doo
Banned

19th Aug 04 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As patrick says, the oe valve is more than upto the job. A VTA will only fool the ecu into throwing more fuel into the car which long term can cause problems.

Same again with the induction kit, ideally the standard airbox is best. Although if you can provide suffcient shielding for an induction kit it should be ok.
StuartVRS

19th Aug 04 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick

My advice would be to talk to AmD Technik.

My advice would be to check those figures you have and steer well clear of AmD
BarryAstra

19th Aug 04 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is probably gonna kill this post but i think he's probably just looking for the noise that an aftermarket dump valve will give....or can this be achieved from the standard one?
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 04 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cone and the standard DV is louder.

There are a lot of people with bad experience of all the big names though, as you can possibly tell.
Scrappy Doo
Banned

19th Aug 04 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you fit an aftermarket air filter, weather it be panel or cone you will begin to hear the oe valve.
vibrio
Banned

19th Aug 04 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarryAstra
this is probably gonna kill this post but i think he's probably just looking for the noise that an aftermarket dump valve will give....or can this be achieved from the standard one?

your friend is obviously barry
BarryAstra

19th Aug 04 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
Originally posted by BarryAstra

your friend is obviously barry

obviously its not because i dont have an mk4 Astra GSi

fanny!
Joff

19th Aug 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
[color=Navy]Hello mate, best option with the z20let is the standard dump valve mate. A lot of people with this engine have gone for an aftermarket version and have had nothing but problems, most common being a loss in power and occasionally AMM problems. Best Induction kit for the z20let is thought to be the CDA carbon induction system, heard nothing but praise about these. I'm getting one very soon. Keep clear from Pipercross especially the Viper, may look cool but again has been known to affect the AMM.

Has it affected the Z20LET in the Astra / Zafira? How is the BMC CDA ANY different in how it flows air? They're both foam, both sealed unit, both with a fixed cold air feed - the only Z20LET I know of that has a problem with ANY induction kit is the VX220T where the air mass meter simply burns itself out - which also happens with the STANDARD airbox in some circumstances (it's been known to get too wet).

Do BMC do a tailored fitment for the Z20LET or is it just another bodged "universal" fitment?
bazgooch

19th Aug 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
quote:
[color=Navy]Hello mate, best option with the z20let is the standard dump valve mate. A lot of people with this engine have gone for an aftermarket version and have had nothing but problems, most common being a loss in power and occasionally AMM problems. Best Induction kit for the z20let is thought to be the CDA carbon induction system, heard nothing but praise about these. I'm getting one very soon. Keep clear from Pipercross especially the Viper, may look cool but again has been known to affect the AMM.

Has it affected the Z20LET in the Astra / Zafira? How is the BMC CDA ANY different in how it flows air? They're both foam, both sealed unit, both with a fixed cold air feed - the only Z20LET I know of that has a problem with ANY induction kit is the VX220T where the air mass meter simply burns itself out - which also happens with the STANDARD airbox in some circumstances (it's been known to get too wet).

Do BMC do a tailored fitment for the Z20LET or is it just another bodged "universal" fitment?

the length of the CDA makes it a pain in the arse to run a decent cold air feed as well

Joff

19th Aug 04 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bazgooch
quote:
quote:

the length of the CDA makes it a pain in the arse to run a decent cold air feed as well

Gawd I love you bazwell MWAH x
MatG

20th Aug 04 at 05:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The BMC CDA has shown better performance over any other filters in the past on our RR days. That is the only reason it is used more often than not.
Joff

20th Aug 04 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What size inlet does the CDA have? We could always increase the size on the Viper from 75mm to 100mm
vibrio
Banned

20th Aug 04 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

the BMC is cotton gauze Mr Joff
vibrio
Banned

20th Aug 04 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MatG
The BMC CDA has shown better performance over any other filters in the past on our RR days. That is the only reason it is used more often than not.

enclosed filtes on turbo cars are a silly thing
Steve
Premium Member

20th Aug 04 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsaCsxi
quote:

My advice would be to talk to AmD Technik.

My advice would be to check those figures you have and steer well clear of AmD

pat still likes to talk the shite
Patrick

20th Aug 04 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay, whatever.
Ditch

20th Aug 04 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AND I WAS LIKE....... WHATEVER!!!!!
Joff

20th Aug 04 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
quote:

the BMC is cotton gauze Mr Joff

I have never seen inside - I assumed the gains reported were good because it was a foam filter - my bad
Joff

20th Aug 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
...Keep clear from Pipercross especially the Viper, may look cool but again has been known to affect the AMM.

My advice would be to talk to AmD Technik. They really know there stuff...

Taken from AmD website
"Stage 2 - Full Rolling Road Remap, Milltek Full Stainless Steel Exhaust, PiperX induction kit. Includes fitting. 240bhp. Higher bhp is available as engine aiflow is maximised via the exhaust and intake. Remap is designed to optimise fuelling and boost to the increased airflow now available but still kept low due to the need of a chargecooler for reliability at higher levels."

MatG

20th Aug 04 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joff the Viper faired quite badly on some of the standard cars let alone the uprated spec cars. The BMC's are actually quite liked by the AmD boys and they have been impressed with the figures with cars runing them. I also have a Spanish car mag feature testing a lot of well known brands and the Viper was beaten (only just though!) by the BMC. At the end of the day its down to the car tested though.

I think Pipercross are a little behind though, I am certainly going to try and fit a BMC on my car but space could mean it impossible to do.
Joff

20th Aug 04 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed Matt - I'm tempted to see how the BMC flows air as they do seem to be doing something right, if I can get a unit we can run some tests off the car

It might be a case that the neck size is too small on some applications which is a problem when you're making a "tailored" kit - if you sell it as universal, it's down to the customer to make it fit. If it's tailored then the onus is on the manufacturer to make a product that fits and fits well.

Nice to hear no-one likes K&N tho

The Viper Evo has always worked extremely well and it's biggest market is in Asia - just a shame it's physically too big to fit most cars over here

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Z20LET - Dump Valve and Induction advice... 22 database queries in 0.0136249 seconds