corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Panel Filters

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Panel Filters
AdiSRI

User status: Offline
10th Sep 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently i have a PVD/Pipercross Foam panel filter which is about 18 months old and not been cleaned....

I have lost the cleaning stuff, and as such im wondering if i should change the filter to a Green Cotton panel

Will it make any difference? Is the pvd one prob real dirty after 18 months?
AdiSRI

10th Sep 04 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt help me!
myke

10th Sep 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think about the mileage it's done rather than the age.

would probably need a clean at similar intervals that the standard paper one needs replacing.
Joff

10th Sep 04 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rinse it under a warm tap in the reverse direction to air flow.
It's a lifetime filter, so no need to buy a crappy cotton-gauze filter (which will just clog up with dirt FASTER than a decent foam filter)...

Get yourself a can of the dirt retention spray from any Pipercross dealer and squirt a bit over the "dirty" side of the filter.

Done.
AdiSRI

11th Sep 04 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks
topshot_2k
Banned

11th Sep 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

joff the reason cotton gauze clogs up quicker than foam is that it actually filters the crap out of the air rather than letting it into the engine like those shtty foam things do
broster
Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to argue but joff does work for piperx so i think he'll know a little bit about filters
myke

11th Sep 04 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you've gotta wonder though.

if they're both filtering the same amount of dirt, then why don't they get equally as dirty?
broster
Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true but the wrc stuff is foam, and filters you get for tb's are foam so they much be good
Joff

11th Sep 04 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Foam, or more precisely Pipercross (road use) foam is made up of three layers, each with different sized pores - the largest on the outside and the smallest on the inside.

Also, because of the way foam is reticulated, there is more surface area for dirt to get trapped by. If you look closely at the outer layer of foam you'll see it's made up of loads of little pockets - the same goes for the denser foam, you just can't see them as easily.

Cotton gauze filters are single layer, which is why the filter medium is pleated - to increase the surface area, but it's still not a patch on foam.

Foam has a larger dust capacity than cotton gauze or stainless steel mesh (not sure about paper tbh, but it flows air badly so we don't care about paper).

This is why it's so important that K&N filters are oiled to manufacturers specifications. Without the oil as an extra level of dust retention, you might as well be using a cheap Taiwanese filter!
The same goes for foam filters, if they recommend oiling, then oil bitch!

Joff

11th Sep 04 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
you've gotta wonder though.

if they're both filtering the same amount of dirt, then why don't they get equally as dirty?

They don't filter the same amount of dirt! Tbh, if your filter is getting dirty, then that's a good sign. I'd rather have a constantly dirty filter than a permanently clean one - at least you know the dirty one is working!
myke

11th Sep 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there's three layers on the foam ones, then i guess the dirt would be inside aswell, so it'd look clean on the outside, but be full of crap between the layers?
Joff

11th Sep 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
if there's three layers on the foam ones, then i guess the dirt would be inside aswell, so it'd look clean on the outside, but be full of crap between the layers?

No, the outer layer holds the largest amount of dirt particles, so that'll be the worst of the three layers.
broster
Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

joff how do i clean my viper, do i need oil, i never oiled it when i got it is this lazy and bad
Joff

11th Sep 04 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
joff how do i clean my viper, do i need oil, i never oiled it when i got it is this lazy and bad

Yes, it's lazy and bad, but no biggie.

• Remove excess dirt by gently brushing the filter
  • Apply cleaning additive liberally.
    Massage in with soft brush, allow to soak in for around 5 minutes
  • Flush the filter out with warm water from the clean side of the foam to the dirty side.
  • Allow the filter to dry naturally (do not apply any heat to the filter!)
  • Lightly apply dirt retention additive on the dirty (black) side of the foam.
  • Above steps may need to be repeated until the filter is clean. Do not over oil the foam as this will impair performance.

If you've not got any cleaning additive, then fresh water is fine, maybe a very light soap solution.
  • broster
    Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dude gte me cleaning stuff for free and ill do it, if not then ill leave it, can i use old engine oil to oil it with

[Edited on 11-09-2004 by broster]
    Joff

11th Sep 04 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wash it with water fool, it's free.

Re-oil with the yellow can. Sorry but Magnatec won't do.
    broster
    Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 22:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i aint got the yellow can, think i tried to burn the contents?! i want cleaning stuff, water aint free, i have to pay for it!
    Joff

11th Sep 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
    Originally posted by broster
    i aint got the yellow can, think i tried to burn the contents?! i want cleaning stuff, water aint free, i have to pay for it!

Don't burn that well, well not compared to brake cleaner. Can't remember what else was good... still need to get some concentrated screen wash
    broster
    Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pmsl, yeah man, needs to be bmw stuff!
    Joff

11th Sep 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that the biggie?
    broster
    Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes major biggies as someone WILL die if you dont use bmw stuff! get on msn bitch
    Joff

11th Sep 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, MSN smells
    broster
    Premium Member

11th Sep 04 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im off to bed, u going mk cruise tomoz, ill let you into a secret if u text me some time
    Joff

11th Sep 04 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do I have to?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll