corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Its official!!!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Its official!!!!
Ojc

User status: Offline
27th Sep 04 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luton has been voted worst town in Britain.

Story in todays Mirror

I shall find the quotes from it, summed it up beautifully
Icy

27th Sep 04 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavey

27th Sep 04 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bout time.

Only been there once to watch Crewe beat them in the playoffs, which was nice.

Never want to go there again
purple_corsa_gls

27th Sep 04 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunderland is third....

"Sunderland - "not so much a town as a mortuary"

Oh how i love sunny Sunderland

dousey

27th Sep 04 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UGLY, HATED AND 'CRAP' ..WELCOME TO LUTON Sep 27 2004

By Aidan Mcgurran

LUTON has been voted the "crappiest" town in Britain. And it won thumbs down.

One in 10 people said the Befordshire town, known for little more than Vauxhall cars, an airport made famous in a TV ad and ugly buildings, is the most awful place in the country.

Surprisingly, it was followed by "snobby" Windsor with Sunderland - "not so much a town as a mortuary" - in third place.

But nowhere sinks as low as Luton, according to 20,000 people asked by The Idler magazine to name Britain's 50 worst towns. Compiler Sam Jordison said: "It stood out for the simple reason it is incredibly ugly and has this sense of neglected isolation."

Nearly 2,000 voters condemned Luton's ghastly architecture and lack of entertainment facilities.

The town became a byword for naffdom in the 1977 Campari ad featuring Lorraine Chase. But yesterday council leader David Franks loyally hit back: "It's a load of nonsense. We are one of the only towns to have a multiplex cinema in the centre."

Windsor was criticised by one voter as so snobby "people believe that living near the castle they are more or less royalty themselves." Last year's "winner" Hull - described as a "sad story of rampant self-neglect" - has dropped to 19th place.

The poll is published in Crap Towns II - The Nation Decides, a sequel to last year's Crap Towns.

Shelly
Premium Member

27th Sep 04 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got this for Christmas...

Shelly
Premium Member

27th Sep 04 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to my book...

1. Hull
2. Cumbernauld
3. Morecambe
4. Hythe
5. Winchester
6. Liverpool
7. St Andrews
8. Bexhill-On-Sea
9. Basingstoke
10. Hackney
11. Portsmouth
12. Stockport
13. Crouch End, London
14. St Johns Wood, London
15. Croydon, London
16. Islington, London
17. London
18. Peterborough
19. Wolverhampton
20. Didcot
21. Ascot
22. Brighton
23. Aldeburgh
24. Leiston
25. Ipswich
26. Hayling Island
27. Horsham
28. Mirfield
29. Tintern
30. Peterhead
31. Oxford
32. Dover
33. South Woodham Ferrers
34. Newport
35. Billingham
36. Reading
37. Maghull, Liverpool
38. Huntingdon
39. Hastings
40. Keighley
41. Dagenham
42. Slough
43. Alresford
44. Bridgwater
45. Yate
46. Skelmersdale
47. Barrow-In-Furness
48. Widnes
49. Hinchley Wood
50. St Albans
CraigyG

27th Sep 04 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ Nottingham aint on there but Newport is
purple_corsa_gls

Sunderland must have jumped a few places. They've supposedly put loads of money into improving it in the past few years too. haha
leni

YAY, 19TH place, bet that HUGE money wasting plasma screen their've put up in the city centre cost us our title
purple_corsa_gls

27th Sep 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hull is a dump. both my grans live there near beverley road (?) so i dont get to see much of it, but what i have seen is enough to put me off
Foz

27th Sep 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Yate' i belive this is where Trotty lives pmsl
Corsa E-Tec

27th Sep 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my town aint on there tho it's near luton .

[Edited on 27-09-2004 by Corsa E-Tec]
leni

27th Sep 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am not debating that, Hull is crap, nobody comes here, the closest city near to the population of Hull is 60 odd miles away. There for nobody comes here, coz it's way out on a limb, only reason people do come is for the P&O ferries which is moving out of Hull soon, as rumour may have it!
Ojc

27th Sep 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is exactly it

"It stood out for the simple reason it is incredibly ugly and has this sense of neglected isolation"

Its always raining in Luton as well, absolute shit hole, worst place I have ever had the displeasure of having to go to.
Shelly
Premium Member

27th Sep 04 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Foz

YATE

Extruding like a textbook hernia from the soft underbelly of Bristol, the vast 1960s proto-newtown of Yate once enjoyed a claim to being the suicide capital of Western Europe, until the inhabitants acquiesced to the local anaestetic of a revamped Tesco and brand new Lidl mart.

Yate shopping centre is rumoured to have bannered itself "Yate is great", but is in truth a Stanlinist concrete shopping lubyanka - a quadrant of cold alleys perfectly designed to trap and funnel the wind.

From the centre, endless ranks of Bovis style homes radiate to the horizon over trolley packed streams and along roads with names that don't even try to be interesting.

The closest this open plan wasteland has come to being interesting is the recent committal by magistrates of Gary Glitter after service technicians at a nearby PC World discovered his penchant for paedophillia.

Fortunately, the subsequent trial didn't draw a jury from Yate itself, where there is little else to do but yearn for the relative fascination of a life in the Orkneys. Twinned not, as one graffito once quipped, with Legoland. Yate's true alter ego is Bad Salzdetfurth, which is another post-industrial abomination somewhere near Hanover but which, within all reason, can't be as wrist-slittingly forlorn as this forgotten overspill.
purple_corsa_gls

27th Sep 04 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by leni
I am not debating that, Hull is crap, nobody comes here, the closest city near to the population of Hull is 60 odd miles away. There for nobody comes here, coz it's way out on a limb, only reason people do come is for the P&O ferries which is moving out of Hull soon, as rumour may have it!

Sorry I was not picking at the finer points of your post (which some people may be doing) i was just expressing my opinion

Russ

27th Sep 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YAY 19TH!!!
Russ

27th Sep 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and were a city
purple_corsa_gls

27th Sep 04 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just been on www.craptowns.com

and found this about sunderland.

Town/Village: Sunderland

Not so much a town as a mortuary. Industry has long departed, leaving the residents to shuffle round the town's meagre consumer options like zombies in a George A Romero movie - while seagulls shit on them.

Daniel Etherington

"SOUTHERN BASTARDS FUCK OFF"

The Crowtree leisure centre dominates the centre of this town. Rusting and stained with grime, it is divided by a walkway where you come across old men gawping through the glass at swimming children. Its size and location also means the street it's on never gets any daylight (or rather the watery and grey light that passes for daylight in Sunderland). The rest of the town consists of demolition plots, run down rented accommodation and housing estates. But its the people that really make a town what it is, and Sunderland's population of shell suited, knuckle-dragging inbreeds really do make it what it is.

There's graffiti at the bus station reading "Southern bastards - fuck off back south and keep the North East Northern" in three feet high lettering, and daily beating, robbing and abuse of "outsiders".

I had a landlord who was so inbred he only spoke in vowels - a clipped stuttering sound like ah-eh ah-eh o hu hu. He once told me "we don't like outsiders, us. A lot of people want that university closed". Presumably the gene pool had been polluted by a visiting student from Bishop Auckland or Middlesborough and would take hundreds more years of inbreeding to put things right again. It's true the local intellectual could breath with his mouth closed.

Shaun Alcock

21 STREET STREET

I used to be neutral about football but since having witnessed the endless violence "because we lost" from hords of lifeless Sunderland no hopes who have nothing in their life but a football - and a pretty poor football team at that. I have to say that I actively dislike football because of these twats.

I used to live on Amberley Street - as featured on Crime Watch and Panorama's special on car crime. Pretty cool if you wanted weed and party smarties - and volence off the Hell Angels chapter who used to live in a bricked up house. I said "used to live" because the council decided in its wisdom to knock down the whole street. I suppose there won't be any more managers of the Tap and Spile tied up and held at gun point in the cellar with the phone lines cut for stopping the locals from dealing drugs from the the front bar as if it was Wendy Herbal Supermarket.

Anybody that's had the delight of roaming the numerous housing estates will clearly understand Viz's wicked accurate collectable hearloom "21 Steet Street".

Sunderland's local girls (wifeys) are very skilled at applying orange foundation with the cleanest tide mark I've ever seen - so in line with the cheak that their pasty necks can still proudly show the litter of trophy love bites. While I used to wear long-johns, jeans, 2 t-shirts, a jumper, 2 jackets and a hat in the winter the local wear very cheap, light cotton summer clothes with packs of Royal 25's neatly placed up their t-shirt sleaves.

FPMSL
dave17

27th Sep 04 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15. Croydon, London

croydon aint that bad, u jus gota know every1 that lives there
big eck

27th Sep 04 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelly
According to my book...

1. Hull
2. Cumbernauld
3. Morecambe
4. Hythe
5. Winchester
6. Liverpool
7. St Andrews
8. Bexhill-On-Sea
9. Basingstoke
10. Hackney
11. Portsmouth
12. Stockport
13. Crouch End, London
14. St Johns Wood, London
15. Croydon, London
16. Islington, London
17. London
18. Peterborough
19. Wolverhampton
20. Didcot
21. Ascot
22. Brighton
23. Aldeburgh
24. Leiston
25. Ipswich
26. Hayling Island
27. Horsham
28. Mirfield
29. Tintern
30. Peterhead
31. Oxford
32. Dover
33. South Woodham Ferrers
34. Newport
35. Billingham
36. Reading
37. Maghull, Liverpool
38. Huntingdon
39. Hastings
40. Keighley
41. Dagenham
42. Slough
43. Alresford
44. Bridgwater
45. Yate
46. Skelmersdale
47. Barrow-In-Furness
48. Widnes
49. Hinchley Wood
50. St Albans

Only 1 scottish town on that list and it had to be in 2nd place
sassyminx

27th Sep 04 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to luton on wednesday, every1 i rang was like

i was only in a hotel and didnt venture further than the pub lol
Jules S
Premium Member

27th Sep 04 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelly
quote:
Originally posted by Foz

YATE

Extruding like a textbook hernia from the soft underbelly of Bristol, the vast 1960s proto-newtown of Yate once enjoyed a claim to being the suicide capital of Western Europe, until the inhabitants acquiesced to the local anaestetic of a revamped Tesco and brand new Lidl mart.

Yate shopping centre is rumoured to have bannered itself "Yate is great", but is in truth a Stanlinist concrete shopping lubyanka - a quadrant of cold alleys perfectly designed to trap and funnel the wind.

From the centre, endless ranks of Bovis style homes radiate to the horizon over trolley packed streams and along roads with names that don't even try to be interesting.

The closest this open plan wasteland has come to being interesting is the recent committal by magistrates of Gary Glitter after service technicians at a nearby PC World discovered his penchant for paedophillia.

Fortunately, the subsequent trial didn't draw a jury from Yate itself, where there is little else to do but yearn for the relative fascination of a life in the Orkneys. Twinned not, as one graffito once quipped, with Legoland. Yate's true alter ego is Bad Salzdetfurth, which is another post-industrial abomination somewhere near Hanover but which, within all reason, can't be as wrist-slittingly forlorn as this forgotten overspill.

LOL and me
Cybermonkey

27th Sep 04 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
This is exactly it

"It stood out for the simple reason it is incredibly ugly and has this sense of neglected isolation"

Its always raining in Luton as well, absolute shit hole, worst place I have ever had the displeasure of having to go to.

I can vouch for this, i drove to Luton (unfortunately), it rained sooo much in the process, got caught up in 5 floods on lower luton road, got to multi storey car park , got out and it had rained so much that steam was pouring from my bonnet from water hitting the engine, i was not impressed. I thought it was buggered. Got inside the shopping centre and was greeted by 5 not so happy asylum seekers staring at my girlfriend. I was scared of getting stabbed.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Its official!!!! 22 database queries in 0.0127480 seconds