corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » think i have a smoking problem :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author think i have a smoking problem :(
calidus

User status: Offline
10th Apr 05 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i been concerned as my car uses a teeeeny tiny bit of oil but quizzing mates cruising behind me i apparently have some blue smoke showin, which is color coding cool on a new level...but it aint for me! so how easy is it to sort seals?
Roadrunner

10th Apr 05 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seals as in oil seals? piston rings? Thats a rebuild jobbie. How many miles are you wearing?
James R

10th Apr 05 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's only under load, it could be stem seals.

Although I'd check your breather pipes are clear first, if they clog excessive crank pressure can cause oil to be burnt
calidus

10th Apr 05 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit less than 72k on a c16xe with full service history
X 60RSA

10th Apr 05 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by calidus
bit less than 72k on a c16xe with full service history

Does it smoke on start up, usually when stem seals have gone it does! Think over night for EG....the oil has time to run down the valve stems &past the worns seals.........strike her up in the morning and you should see smoke........
calidus

10th Apr 05 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it dont smoke on start up...its got a bit of a ticking noise which i put down to tappets as they die down alot, mate reckons when i boot it its to the bottom of the rev range when under load, it dont use oil for ages n then all of a sudden its low on oil, but ive heard loadsa storied bout these small block xe engines. I will try to find out more details, reading older posts i will check breathers and maybe look into a compression test if it will help
calidus

10th Apr 05 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up please im hoping its breather problems
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

10th Apr 05 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be breather probs, but these engines are notorious for piston rings at 70k miles. ive had two c16xe's and both suffered from it at this mileage. valve stem seals are also known to fail at the same time. its gonna be one of these imo.
ed

10th Apr 05 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say piston rings...
danny-corsa

11th Apr 05 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fooked egr valves give off blue smoke aswell but i think thats only on idle
Richie B

11th Apr 05 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

itd probably have the engine management light on or keep cutting out if it was the egr valve though??
calidus

11th Apr 05 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it a big job to sort out then? are parts pricey? i can take the engine to v small bits meself, i dont like doing it but i can lol
calidus

11th Apr 05 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just thinking...it was in the dark and after a cold start, n my mate was in his luppy gti with discharge headlites, could he just be misleading me?
Dave A

11th Apr 05 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

perts are cheap, a set of rings is £100 and a full head gasket set is £40 which includes the stem seals, and all other gaskets youll need.

easiest way is to remove the sump, remove the head, undo the big end bolts, push pistons up through the top of the head, replace rings. might as well fit new big end bearings and arp rod bolts too while ur there. (get a new sump gasket as well)

as for the head, i got gary off migweb to do it for me, i got it gasflowed, and other work, new stems seals fitted, new cam seals, rebuilt, cleaned, posted back and a gasket set for £260!

with piston rings and bearings etc including the head work should cost bout £375 if you DIY.
calidus

11th Apr 05 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really want the head done by gary but im short on pennies at the minute i gotta wait bout 3weeks b4 i can get much done, rings n headgasket set sound good to me tho, wot do u think, a day or 2 work? obviously need oil n stuff bk into it lol. Is there any way that i can test to see if any of these parts are at fault without spending much money?
calidus

11th Apr 05 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would i need to do to the head? big end bearings n arp rod bolts expensive?
ed

11th Apr 05 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AP rod bolts are £80 a set, they aren't stretch bolts so they will last you a while.

To see if the piston rings are gone you could do a compression test and see if all the pots read the same compression, if they don't you know the rings have gone.
ed

11th Apr 05 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need to do anything to the head, but replace the valve stem seals as it would be a pain in the ass if they went after doing all this work
James R

11th Apr 05 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed
AP rod bolts are £80 a set, they aren't stretch bolts so they will last you a while.
To see if the piston rings are gone you could do a compression test and see if all the pots read the same compression, if they don't you know the rings have gone.

ARP rod bolts are stretch bolts But they can be reused, but would you chance it for £70??

Yeah as ed said, first things first, do a dry and wet compression test, will let you know the state of the rings.
calidus

11th Apr 05 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do i do a compression test? i will nbeed to pay someone i bet
ed

11th Apr 05 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah well, thought that they weren't stretch bolts...

You need to get a compression tester. It's a pressure gauge that screws into the spark plug hole. You screw it in, turn the engine over a few times with the coil disconnected, check the pressre, then drop in a little oil and turn the engine over again, if the pressure goes up then you have a piston ring issue. Also all the pots should read a similar pressure... It explains it better in the Haynes manual
James R

11th Apr 05 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/comp.htm

explained all there.
calidus

11th Apr 05 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rite i was lazy and have not tested it yet, ive took it for a spin and come home after taking pics of it as it was clean...i got my folks to watch to see if anything came out the bk when i nailed the throttle, on the driveway in neutral( dont know if this counts as it aint under load) i bounced ot off the limiter a few times and no smoke at all, appart from a lil black when on limiter???
Dave A

12th Apr 05 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you WILL end up needing engine internals if u sit bouncing it off the limiter when not in gear!
calidus

12th Apr 05 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rite peeps i have done compression test, it has 1 cylinder down a bit IIRC whether it is just a lil sticky or not i do not know... can anyone suggest something to try before i get some rings?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll