corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I cant get decent traction!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I cant get decent traction!
Twiggy

User status: Offline
24th May 05 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a blat down my own 1/4 mile on sunday and i could not stop her from spinning till i nailed 2nd!!

Any tips??

Adam-D

24th May 05 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better tyres
be more progressive with the throttle
AK

24th May 05 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in the dry?

if so.... you were meaning it to spin
Twiggy

24th May 05 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
better tyres
be more progressive with the throttle

Whats wrong with "hiaci pro's" there black and go round!!

I had her at 3k and jumped off the clutch...
Siberia

24th May 05 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to complain that 'i cant stop wheel spinning' and that ' i cant get traction'

Ask yerself are you doing it on purpose?
Twiggy

24th May 05 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
i used to complain that 'i cant stop wheel spinning' and that ' i cant get traction'

No just trying not to get beat by a 1.4 polo!!!
Siberia

24th May 05 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by REDSPORT
quote:

bit of a pain alright when your not going anywhere and there pulling away.. your like "come back!"
Adam-D

24th May 05 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be more patient
get traction and slowly dial in all the power

if you just stamp on it its gonna spin
its not a 1.2 8v
Twiggy

24th May 05 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

bit of a pain alright when your not going anywhere and there pulling away.. your like "come back!"

Hell yeh, I have double the polo's BHP and he was nearly getting a head of me!! Soon as i nailed 2nd baaarrrrrrrrrrrrrp! GONE!!
Jambo

24th May 05 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont bother spending money on an engine if you cant be bothered to put half decent tyres on the car.

I never understand why people overlook this factor. Its the ONLY thing between you and the road, it could save your life, save you money, make your car handle better stop quicker. and also spin less!!

Stop being a cheap skate and go and buy some decnt tyres!

You will find that more progressive throttle as mentioned above will help also but you will instantly have a car that is 10x more drivable
vibrio
Banned

24th May 05 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Had a blat down my own 1/4 mile on sunday and i could not stop her from spinning till i nailed 2nd!!

Any tips??

LEARN TO DRIVE
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th May 05 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Dont bother spending money on an engine if you cant be bothered to put half decent tyres on the car.

I never understand why people overlook this factor. Its the ONLY thing between you and the road, it could save your life, save you money, make your car handle better stop quicker. and also spin less!!

You will find that more progressive throttle as mentioned above will help also but you will instantly have a car that is 10x more drivable

without being rude, didnt you shove a pretty old turbo engine in your car without getting it rebuilt?
Twiggy

24th May 05 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

without being rude, didnt you shove a pretty old turbo engine in your car without getting it rebuilt?

No i put a normal xe in and changed plugs leads cambelt water pump....etc (£450's worth!)

It sounds sweet as a nut so left it! The car/engine was owned by a 60yr old for 10 yrs then i bought it!

The tyres were put on when i had me 1.6 in. So no need to have goody F1's
bradfincham

24th May 05 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you cant get the power down in an xe then you need to learn to drive it properly, less revs build them, dont just drop the clutch,
Twiggy

24th May 05 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
If you cant get the power down in an xe then you need to learn to drive it properly, less revs build them, dont just drop the clutch,

I only picked it up less than a week ago....

Was just asking for for ideal revs to get a nice lauch....
Tim
Site Administrator

24th May 05 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think revs are the issue here... you can't just jump off the clutch

Try getting it rolling before you really go for it, or be a bit more gentle with your accelerator/clutch control
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

24th May 05 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

No i put a normal xe in and changed plugs leads cambelt water pump....etc (£450's worth!)

It sounds sweet as a nut so left it! The car/engine was owned by a 60yr old for 10 yrs then i bought it!

The tyres were put on when i had me 1.6 in. So no need to have goody F1's

I think he was referring to jambo

If an engine doesn't need rebuilding then theres no point doing it really.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Matt H

24th May 05 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:

Any tips??

LEARN TO DRIVE

You have to remember that you now have a 2.0 engine under your bonnet. I sometimes forget which Corsa im driving & get the occasional spinnage

My Yoko's are still going strong on the front & they'e been on there over a year
Jambo

24th May 05 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without being rude wially

I didnt skimp on my engine, i spent alot more than average buying my engine from a "reputable" supplier with a sealed head all cleaned up and painted, not having a "full" rebuild, but seeing as it had only covered 19k more than then engine currently in my car i didnt bother.

The only thing wrong with my car is the loom needs repairing and alos i have noisy lifters and tappets, which is a common problem with XE/LETs.

I dont see the relevance of your comment at all IMO.

The guy posted about using shit tyres and wondered why he couldnt get traction, i have decnt tyres on my car, i always will have.

Twiggy

24th May 05 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have tried toyos which were like double the price of budget tyres and i just smoked in no time and also the grip gains did not warent the extra expence! I cudda go for part worn jobbies but did'nt because " there the only contact with the ground"......

But might try yokos if they last longer.....

[Edited on 24-05-2005 by REDSPORT]
Dom

24th May 05 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh mate, a good suspension setup and good tyres will solve alot of it - but even then (talking from other FWD 200brake cars) you can't just rev the nuts out of it and dump the clutch - even in my bucket it causes spinage

like said mate, get the car rolling first - dont worry if the other bloke is a car length infront, as soon as you hit 2nd, he is in your rear mirror
bradfincham

24th May 05 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yokos are good, toyos are good as well as there very sticky i love mine.
Falken are reasonably priced,
goodyear eagles and pirello zero nero lead the way!!

Decent tyres, suspension will help no end
broster
Premium Member

24th May 05 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get proper tyres, like michlin or the like and you will notice a difference, trust me! also be progressive with the car practice pulling away slowly then build it up faster and faster untill it spins too much, then back down a little, also if the car starts to wheel spin back of the throttle until its got traction again. on a fast launch you want a tiny bit of spin, to keep the revs up etc but only for a small period of time, i find this is the best way to get decent laucnhes with my 1.6 and with that being stipped out it does spin a lot more than it used to.
also as brad says decent suspension set up is a major factor in the car ability to launch fast

[Edited on 24-05-2005 by broster]
N90ATH

24th May 05 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I have tried toyos which were like double the price of budget tyres and i just smoked in no time and also the grip gains did not warent the extra expence! I cudda go for part worn jobbies but did'nt because " there the only contact with the ground"......

But might try yokos if they last longer.....

[Edited on 24-05-2005 by REDSPORT]

wot toyo's did u use???? i had T1s or something and on a no lowered car the griped like glue even in the wet so not sure how u can say that
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th May 05 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Without being rude wially

I didnt skimp on my engine, i spent alot more than average buying my engine from a "reputable" supplier with a sealed head all cleaned up and painted, not having a "full" rebuild, but seeing as it had only covered 19k more than then engine currently in my car i didnt bother.

The only thing wrong with my car is the loom needs repairing and alos i have noisy lifters and tappets, which is a common problem with XE/LETs.

I dont see the relevance of your comment at all IMO.

The guy posted about using shit tyres and wondered why he couldnt get traction, i have decnt tyres on my car, i always will have.

Then I apoglise, I thought you were one of the goons who shoved a turbo engine in your car without rebuilding it then whined when it broke, as I was sure I read comments from you saying "I wish I did x y z", obviously I'm wrong so I'll take my comments back.

You dont see the link between my comment? well if the case WAS that you shoved it in without taking precautions, it would be perfectly valid. But we have now established it isnt, and I didn't mean to upset your feelings.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I cant get decent traction! 23 database queries in 0.5380118 seconds