corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » air mass meters

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author air mass meters
oba-corsa
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   2nd Nov 05 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do viper induction kit damage vauxhall air mass meters.
Rob B

2nd Nov 05 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes now, **** OFF.
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Filby1

2nd Nov 05 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hahahah, really?
dna23

2nd Nov 05 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we answered this yesterday, there is a good possibility that putting a viper on your 1.2 will damage your air mass meter and possibly weaken the others such as ICV or EGR.
Voyto

2nd Nov 05 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Filby1

2nd Nov 05 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want a pic next to your cars (DNA23/Rob B) nice pic that, Im gona have to zoom to some meets this yr

[Edited on 02-11-2005 by Filby1]
Rob B

2nd Nov 05 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Filby1
i want a pic next to your cars (DNA23/Rob B) nice pic that, Im gona have to zoom to some meets this yr

[Edited on 02-11-2005 by Filby1]

Yeah that would be ace Sam is really good at taking pics too, dont tell him youll give him a big head though
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, induction kits do damage air mass meters more than panel/airbox.

1) They let more heat in
2) They let more shite in
3) They move around more
4) Oiled ones 'oil up' the mass meter

All them things can damage it, eliminate the above as much as you can and you'll be ok! The AFM is only a fine piece of wire in a shroud that carries an electrical charge. It senses how much air is being sucked passed it and sends this info to the ECU. The ECU then fuels according to the amount of air thats being used (Perfect stoitchmetric ratio where fuel burns 100% effeciently is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel) So they are very easily damaged and can do harm without you even knowing about it!

Stick to the panel filter in the airbox!!!!!

Stu
oba-corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dna23
we answered this yesterday, there is a good possibility that putting a viper on your 1.2 will damage your air mass meter and possibly weaken the others such as ICV or EGR.

how can i stop it from damaging the air mass meter.
Rob B

2nd Nov 05 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remove it , you dont need it, if you remove it and place it somewhere, where its windy you should be fine becuase it will still be getting air ...
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only ways you can help stop it damaging the mass meter is

1) Make sure it has a cold air feed
2) Keep it clean
3) Fix it down as best you can so it doesnt flop about and bang round your engine bay!!!

Stu
oba-corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Yeah, induction kits do damage air mass meters more than panel/airbox.

1) They let more heat in
2) They let more shite in
3) They move around more
4) Oiled ones 'oil up' the mass meter

All them things can damage it, eliminate the above as much as you can and you'll be ok! The AFM is only a fine piece of wire in a shroud that carries an electrical charge. It senses how much air is being sucked passed it and sends this info to the ECU. The ECU then fuels according to the amount of air thats being used (Perfect stoitchmetric ratio where fuel burns 100% effeciently is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel) So they are very easily damaged and can do harm without you even knowing about it!

Stick to the panel filter in the airbox!!!!!

Stu

if i put the viper on is ther any way i can chang sumthing with a tech-2 wich will stop this happening
Rob B

2nd Nov 05 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do what i said it will solve your problems.
oba-corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
The only ways you can help stop it damaging the mass meter is

1) Make sure it has a cold air feed
2) Keep it clean
3) Fix it down as best you can so it doesnt flop about and bang round your engine bay!!!

Stu

so as long as its fasend and doesnt flop about it will be ok and the viper has a cold air feed from the bumper do u think i will have any uther problems.
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jaydao2

if i put the viper on is ther any way i can chang sumthing with a tech-2 wich will stop this happening

No not really matey. Thing is what I said was total worst case scenario tho, it will probably never ever happen to you. Loads of people run induction kits with no problems, guess I dont like them cos I have had MAF problems in the past and at the moment have a car that has a particularly weak MAF!

Dont worry too much, the engine your putting it on wouldnt go bang with MAF failure anyway!

Stu
oba-corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
Originally posted by jaydao2

No not really matey. Thing is what I said was total worst case scenario tho, it will probably never ever happen to you. Loads of people run induction kits with no problems, guess I dont like them cos I have had MAF problems in the past and at the moment have a car that has a particularly weak MAF!

Dont worry too much, the engine your putting it on wouldnt go bang with MAF failure anyway!

Stu

thanks 4 advice so my corsa c 1.2 Z12XE shud run fin with no problems with a universal viper witch has a 55mm inlet and a 65mm out let to manifold. do u no of any uther problems 2 luk out 4.
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty sure it will be fine matey! If your AFM does go (which it probably wont) your fuelling will just go a bit tits up and it might run a bit rough..........not a problem on a 1.2 Corsa. If this happens on an Evo/P1/Skyline at 8,000rpm and they end up running lean on the fuel mixture it causes detonation and they go bang!

Your car will be fine with an induction kit, worry not!

Stu
oba-corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Im pretty sure it will be fine matey! If your AFM does go (which it probably wont) your fuelling will just go a bit tits up and it might run a bit rough..........not a problem on a 1.2 Corsa. If this happens on an Evo/P1/Skyline at 8,000rpm and they end up running lean on the fuel mixture it causes detonation and they go bang!

Your car will be fine with an induction kit, worry not!

Stu [/quo

is there any way i can make the Z12XE run beter when the viper is on my car by puting a tech-2 in the diagnostic plug and changing any setings cos i can get me hands on a tech-2 for free
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think tech 2 is anything more than a diagnostics tool to be honest! Ecu will fuel for slight changes in the induction system anyway!

Stu
vibrio
Banned

2nd Nov 05 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only way an induction kit will damage a ht wire AFM is if you over oil them. these is specifically aimed at cotton gauze filters after you clean them. this happens because most people put too much oil on them. foam filters are multy layered and the oil stays on the outside.

extra power from induction kits comes form reducing the amount of sucking the engine does. if the airbox is well designed then the cone filter will be less effictive.
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
the only way an induction kit will damage a ht wire AFM is if you over oil them.

What about extra heat or when the induction kit isnt fixed sufficiently and it bangs round the engine bay on every hump, bump and corner?
vibrio
Banned

2nd Nov 05 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
the only way an induction kit will damage a ht wire AFM is if you over oil them.

What about extra heat or when the induction kit isnt fixed sufficiently and it bangs round the engine bay on every hump, bump and corner?

thats down to the stupidity of the person. you could say the same fore the air box if you on't reconect it properly. what extra heat??????
oba-corsa
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:

it fasend with a stanless home mad braket with the EGR valve slid over a nother stanless braket
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

thats down to the stupidity of the person. you could say the same fore the air box if you on't reconect it properly. what extra heat??????

Induction kits usually come with one wobbly strap whereas an airbox is usually fitted securely with about 4 or 5 screws that attach directly to the shell.

Airbox shields the filter from engine bay heat and only takes air in from outside the engine bay. Induction kit sucks hot air directly in from engine bay!

The main way induction kits gain power is by not filtering as well as the standard induction system. Dont get me wrong, this isnt always the case and a modified engine will need to suck extra air which it can do with an induction kit (usually down to a larger surface area of filtration material)

Stop worrying tho Jay, if you fancy an induction kit get one. It wont net you any more power but if you like the sound then you will get it!!!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » air mass meters 22 database queries in 0.0111201 seconds