corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The tinyness.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The tinyness.....
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jan 06 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some of you may remember the thread where i posted a tiny alternator....

looks small....

but compared to a standard one its tiny!

and for fun, heres my throttle bodies, think they have been spitting back a bit....

alternator is bolted up just need to wire it up and im away, also got a new crank shaft sensor to get rid of a miss fire, good old vauxhall did me a good price on that £34!!!! its a magnet!
PaulW

12th Jan 06 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooooh i must get one i must i must!!!!

spitback - pah! you know its good when your seeing flames pop out of them when coming off throttle after a good thrash (well... plus would mean something is fcuked but hey :lol
MR2Mike

that IS amazing broster, better pics this time. lets not ruin this thread. its tiny that isnt it, is it still the same rating as the old one?
PaulW

also... pulley doesnt just look bigger, but thinner too?? will the belt fit ok or are you also replacing the bottom pulley & fitting a thinner belt???
broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, thats on start up, tends to spit back on start up a bit lol......
Rileysport

12th Jan 06 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fook thats microscopic
broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul its a 4 rib belt, same as the eps belt, i dont have eps and have a 6 tooth belt, got a few plans up my sleeve...... involving a bit of cutting and stuff..... sbd seem to think the plan should work
PaulW

12th Jan 06 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please dont tell me your gone chop 2 ribs off the belt?? surely not
3CorsaMeal

12th Jan 06 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow, thats cool

whats the weight difference between em?

is it all the same ratings/spec as original or better/worse?
PaulW

12th Jan 06 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like to know how to fit this...

broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

similar to original, slightly better... the new one is 2.5kg, not weighted the old one, but it feels 2-3times more....
3CorsaMeal

12th Jan 06 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
I would like to know how to fit this...

Proceed as follows:

Remove the dynamo-side locknut and washers, making a note of their arrangement so that they can be replaced in their original positions.

Remove the four magnet-fixing nuts and lock washers from the back of the hub drum, and then remove the four magnet-fixing screws.

Hold the wheel, with the dynamo downwards, just above the work-bench. A few light taps with a mallet on the end of the spindle will cause the dynamo unit to drop out complete.
The magnet spacing ring can now be lifted out of the hub drum.

Unless it is essential to do so, the armature and magnet should never be separated. If they are to be separated, a keeper ring is absolutely necessary, because the magnet will lose some of its magnetism unless there is always iron inside it. Even a moment's separation will cause loss of magnetism, and a spanner placed across the magnet is useless as a substitute for a keeper ring. To separate the magnet and the armature, hold the dynamo unit in the left hand, with the terminal plate against the palm. Then fit a keeper over the armature and lightly tap the keeper with the palm of the right hand. The magnet will slide off the armature and on to the keeper. At this stage it is wise to test the armature with a test meter. If there is no reading on the test meter there is a break in the winding. If a test meter is not available, a battery and bulb may be connected as shown in the diagram, and if the bulb does not light a break in the armature winding is indicated. A second test is to disconnect the lead from one of the armature terminals and touch the outer edges of the armature with the bare lead. If the bulb lights, this indicates a short circuit.

Remove the cone locknut on the left-hand side and unscrew the left-hand cone.

The channel-section dust cap is just a press-in fit and can be prised out with a wide screwdriver (to avoid damage). The ball cage may be lifted out for examinationof the hub bearing surface. If a new ball retainer and balls have to be fitted, it is usually best to fit a new dust cap as well. Both hub cups are part of the hub shell and if either is worn a complete new shell must be fitted.

The spindle may now be pulled out from the dynamo side,together with the right-hand cone. If the bearing surface is in good condition and the spindle threads are sound, there is no need to remove the cone.

The baU cage may be lifted out for examination of the hub bearing surface.

SPECIAL NOTE. - GH6 hubs prior to 1952 had the adjusting cone on the dynamo side. This cone is extended to pass through the armature body and is flatted at the outer end to take (K428) notched adjuster washer, by means of which the cone may be turned. Dismantling instructions from 1 to 5 remain exactly the same as for the current model. For paragraph 6 read 'Unscrew the dynamo-side cone and lift the ball cage out of the hub shell. The spindle may now be pulled out from the other side, together with the fixed cone.' All further comments apply equally to all GH6 hubs.
a_j_mair

12th Jan 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow that is small far better pics
3CorsaMeal

12th Jan 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
similar to original, slightly better... the new one is 2.5kg, not weighted the old one, but it feels 2-3times more....

the little wheel/pulley looks a lot wider on one of them, is that a trick of the eye or is it meant to be?
Adam-D

12th Jan 06 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need a lambda sensor

vaux qouted me £56

im not payin £56 but i have to have a genuine vaux sensor
broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the standard pulley is a 6rib belt, the new one is a 4 rib belt.... needs to have some adaption done to make work...
3CorsaMeal

12th Jan 06 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lightweight belts too

broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow, imagine the power
PaulW

12th Jan 06 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broster, please keep me posted on how well this alternator performs! will be interested to know how it does... also, can you get a 6-rib pulley for it?? as will be needing one for what i need!!

adam - scrappy??? would say you could have my old one, but its a 3-wire lambda and you need a 1-wire
broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sbd are looking into the 6 rib bit.....

adam, get one from a motorfactors, costs lots less
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 06 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats awesome Broster. Maybe you can allow me to touch it next week
broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe........just maybe
a_j_mair

12th Jan 06 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you not able to swap the actual pulleys over
broster
Premium Member

12th Jan 06 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope......
Stu_22

12th Jan 06 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much all in I'm thinking of getting one as I have to swap alternators

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The tinyness..... 22 database queries in 0.0205741 seconds