corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Council Tax

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Council Tax
Lawrah
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   23rd May 06 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, Im fed up now..

Been Arguing with my mother whos liable to pay council tax...

Would someone please explain to me if I should indeed pay up for Glasgow..

I live in a rented flat with my mother and sister, in the west end of glasgow, I am not working, do not own the property or pay the rent.

I have contacted the council where they sent out a huge form to fill in, and have done so.

But mother dearest is addiment I am ment to pay..I said none of my friends do, but apparently that doesnt matter..

Please help me out.
Sam
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you pay if you've no job?
JadeM
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its not your flat how are you involved

Unless your mums looking for a hand with the bills
JadeM
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its your house / flat & your in full time education or one of the 3,000,000 dole dossers you dont pay a penny!!!!
JadeM
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will still pay income tax & NI on your £45 a week but I dont see how you will pay council tax (Water & getting your bins emptied - etc) If your not a home owner!!

I think your mum is confused!!
Jules S
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The person who's name is on the lease is who is liable for the council tax payment

I dont doubt that I pay some taxes towards some sort of benefit she can claim against you as a dependant though
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not on the dole jade..

I think she thinks Poll Tax is still around..
p4uls corsa

23rd May 06 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not the person who owns the place that pays it its the person who lives[rents] in it that is liable for the bill

its same if u live in council place u dont own it but have to pay the council tax because u live there

[Edited on 23-05-2006 by p4uls corsa]
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I am liable for it, how come no friends that live with parents and are older than me pay a penny? It appears to be just me out of everyone I know who has been billed.
p4uls corsa

23rd May 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does ur mum pay as there is only one bill for the flat not for each person in it

if u live with ur mum and she pays it they shoulnot be a bill for u aswell

[Edited on 23-05-2006 by p4uls corsa]
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No i get billed and my mum also gets billed..

I have a final demand for a grand in 7days.. i didnt even have the 1st demands..
p4uls corsa

23rd May 06 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they should only be one bill for the flat not seperate bills
the bill is for the property dont matter how many people live in it there is only one unless its let as bedsits
Jules S
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah

I have a final demand for a grand in 7days.. i didnt even have the 1st demands..

Lawrah,

You really shouldn't be paying anything IMO.....maybe different in Scotland though.

exactly what do you do if you aren't on the dole?

this might help

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library3/localgov/ctst-00.asp
JadeM
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must be some mistake then...have you ever owned / rented a property with it in your name???

Get down to the council office, they will sort it out!!

I didnt mean 'on the dole' in a bad way, if your temp out of work then your entitled to it....i have once before!!
JadeM
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah

Lawrah,

You really shouldn't be paying anything IMO.....maybe different in Scotland though.

exactly what do you do if you aren't on the dole?

this might help

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library3/localgov/ctst-00.asp

I live in scotland & its only the person that has the house / flat in there name that has to pay!! I get 25% discount cos I live alone
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never owned a flat or property, I have this really bad feeling my mother has put it in my name so she doesnt have to pay, which is rather sad

Ive filled in a hoooge form for the council office and will hopefully hear from them soon.

Ive been out of work on Incapacity Benefits and just come off them, starting to look for work again.
JadeM
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would she do that

Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Em, I think she was struggling, well i know she was struggling with money when her and my dad split and she moved out the family home, it has been sold now. I dont know..
Ry_B
Banned

23rd May 06 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you pay

Maybe your Mum just wants a hand with the bills.
Jules S
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM
Why would she do that

Cos she was on incapacity?

EDIT: Big time fraud if she did

[Edited on 23-05-2006 by Jules S]
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rcb
Why would you pay

Maybe your Mum just wants a hand with the bills.

Ok, she said legally she had to put me on the tennents list, that i can understand, because I am an adult but she doesnt get her 25% off..

I think the council must have fucked up somehow..
Jules S
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only way you are liable for any of the council tax bill is if you and your mum co signed the tenancy contract on the lease.

If you name is on the contract you are liable....if not you aren't.

Agreed to council will try to fleece you given half the chance
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt sign shit lol
Laura

23rd May 06 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for fife council and deal with council tax etc, and you are definatley under no obligation or under any sort of agreement to pay any council tax at all. the hosue is your mums name. and even if you were on the tenancy, you'd get your council tax paid coz you aint workin. tell her to bolt.
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oft easier said than done lol..

The flat is rented, dont know if that makes a difference.

Want to move 2 Glasgow and sort it for me please Laura lol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Council Tax 22 database queries in 0.0165319 seconds