corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why i love PPC magazine

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why i love PPC magazine
jr

User status: Offline
1st Oct 06 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of your contributors builds a 27 litre Rovers SD1

THEN decideds, that they should go after the Veyrons power figure, and aim for 1002bhp, buy fitting 2 AET turbos, and possibly n20

then try and to 186mph at 2500rpm

[quote=Al Rush]Ok, a Rover update. Its electronic brain has now been fettled too. Digger (my mate) has returned from mapping the deep and has now turned his attention to mapping the Rover. Mapping 27 litres may seem a piffling amount compared to mapping 9,000,000,000,000,000,000 litres, but it still caused him grief. We didn’t have a problem on gas, it seemed to run quite smoothly, but to use the car every day we need to be able to rely on petrol. It was a bugger to sort.

It wouldn’t fire right, and it wasn’t until we realised one of the injectors may be fouled, that the ball ache of fixing it dawned on us. Luckily, we turned over the office and came up with half a dozen Colortunes to help. Anyway, we got to Goodwood FoS eventually, Kev’s Mk1 Rangie pulling like Adrian Mole at a Liz Hurley lookalike convention. We had taken a couple of barrels of Witham Wobbler from the PPC pub (The Blue Cow) and were even almost sober enough to finish setting up the stand by the time the show was half over.

It was at this point, that I discovered how Rock and Roll the crazy world of small magazine publishing could be. The course officials had decided that the Rover wasn’t quite what they wanted, going up the hill. So, we hatched a plan. We’d take the cars up the hill anyway before the event opened, and damn the consequences. Being ex Royal Air Force Regiment, Al started to take it very seriously, so the plan was soon all sorted in a way that made the invasion of Iraq seem like nipping down to the supermarket. Going up the hill first would be me, with Al in the passenger seat. He decided to arm himself with a video camera to record the historic occasion.

Playing wingman to my Maverick, was ‘Goose’ Leaper in the Rolls. Riding shotgun with him, and armed with another camera was Andy Monaghan, without whom our time at the show would have been far more hectic (cheers Andy). Wing Commanders Will Holman and Dale ‘Lovemass’ Lomas were deployed as cut offs, their role was simple on that fateful morning. They were in place purely to give us advance warning of any chasing race marshalls. They were expendable, and we all bade each other an emotional farewell before mounting up and moving under cover of darkness to our start points.

I wished that the Rover matched the stealth like qualities of Kev’s matt black Rolls. The bloke who owned the place must have heard us coming through his 15 foot thick walls, let alone the sleeping marshalls through their canvas tents. We turned onto the hallowed circuit and at the pre arranged signal, I floored it. The signal was supposed to be a ‘go go go’, from Al but I must have been too quick off the mark, because all I heard from him was ‘go go gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh’ as I shot off and his video camera started filming the ceiling.

The Rolls was soon a speck behind us as we made it to the top, whistling past gaping early birds. The car sounded superb on the throttle and made a great noise going inbetween those walls and around that first bend. Going down the hill was even better, the car behaved perfectly. We got somewhere close to 3 figures and the engine note of the engine hardly changed as we leapt there, but typical, we lost concentration and as we got to the end of the mission we got bumped.

There they were, the flashing lights of the marshall’s wagon reaching out to us like flak. Al must have had a flashback, because he screamed at me to start weaving, so I slapped him, told him to get a grip and reminded him that we weren’t over the Ruhr, we were in Sussex. The Rolls couldn’t help, because they limped for the cover of the nearest exit (.. you know who to count on when the going gets tough, don’t you?), so off we went again, with the course feds getting smaller in my mirrors. “Where now?” I shouted down at Al over the noise (we had no windscreen in and were for some reason, now moving quite sharply. Al’s head was buried deep in the cockpit map and he looked up and screamed ’20 metres, hard left!”.

Now that thing can handle, and the brakes work too.. people don’t believe me, but when it has to- it can. In a blur, we found ourselves.. in the supercar paddock, surrounded by million dollar exotica. I looked at Al, like Arthur Lowe would look at Pike. “Well, where would you hide an oak tree?” Al reasoned, so we poodled and tiptoed (as well as a 27 litre car can poodle and tiptoe) around £130 million worth of car. I felt like an elephant at a cocktail party I can tell you.

Thankfully, a nice man on one of the F1 cars came up to us and offered us sanctuary. I was half expecting to reverse the car into a hayrick, as the marshals walked around with pitchforks. Of course, they found us though. I waited for the metallic sound of the bolt softly sliding a round into the chamber and calmy awaited my fate (Al was hissing “Don’t let the bastards see you’re frightened”) but instead, all they could say was “We read the mag, great car, great car!”. Great blokes, all of them.

Anyway, the show went brilliantly and we managed to let loads of people hear the car. If there’s a better car show here, I’ve yet to see it.

Ok, quickly up to date then. The car needs a new brake caliper to get it through the MoT. Jon at Bigg Red had a reconditioned caliper in stock, and I went down to collect it. His calipers are probably better than many new ones I’ve had, so by the time you read this, it should have passed the MoT.

Digger gets mapping.

Goodwood or bust.

24 Injectors need mapping. Digger has provided custom made hardware.

Digger at work.

My dad had one like that Mister! (Oh no he didn’t.)

Wind in the hair, aaah. You can’t beat it.

Andy Nicholl from AET Turbos offers turbos which could suck the chrome from a chav’s tailpipe.

c20let

1st Oct 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair weapon
jr

1st Oct 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not shy
Rick Draper

1st Oct 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sod the rover i am loving the 999 in the back ground of one of the pic's.
ed

1st Oct 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That car is far from practical. It doesn't have a windscreen for starters

Just kidding, bloody good effort, I'm impressed with this car!
jr

1st Oct 06 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it has a windscreen now as well
JM_16v

1st Oct 06 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it
CorsAsh

1st Oct 06 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome. I was down at custom chrome when they started making those exhausts, it's just silly
ed

1st Oct 06 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it going to be painted, or is that too boy racer for him?
andy1868

1st Oct 06 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ceeeerazy!

good to see they were drinking whilst doing it
jr

1st Oct 06 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when me and svm were speaking to him and goodwood ed he said he will prob paint it matt black
ed

1st Oct 06 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mean
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 06 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like the fact that they have a rolls royce as a track car

its the only mag i buy now, the rest are crap
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

1st Oct 06 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wish to see a video of this thing fired up
Marc

1st Oct 06 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Says aim for 1002bhp, I can't see a power figure in the write up?
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 06 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he mentions 1002bhp in the mag fairly often Marc.
Jambo

1st Oct 06 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engineering excellence.

Theres nothing more exiting than seeing a man create some awesome machine with his bare hands.

I salute him

p.s alltho not technically a proper merlin, they make the BEST noise ever heard by a human ear. FACT
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 06 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed they do Jambo
Adam_B

1st Oct 06 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has the rolls done nurburgring yet? havent been aboe to get ppc for a while round here

[Edited on 01-10-2006 by Adam_B]
ed

1st Oct 06 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Megasquirt ECU too
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 06 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
has the rolls done nurburgring yet? havent been aboe to get ppc for a while round here

[Edited on 01-10-2006 by Adam_B]

yeah, its in next months.

subscribe Adam.
ed

1st Oct 06 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It goes round corners too
Robin
Premium Member

1st Oct 06 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the roller does.
Matt H

1st Oct 06 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love this car so much

I want to be like that when I grow up

I was meaning to subscribe, its hard to get. Don't you get one of those T-shirts too?
K17STY

1st Oct 06 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome

p.s its stu

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why i love PPC magazine 22 database queries in 0.0196669 seconds