corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Something really begging to get on my 'chest'

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Something really begging to get on my 'chest'
Jambo

User status: Offline
11th Oct 06 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is class'ism (SP) with cars.

My dad is a prime culpret, wont drive anything other than a bmw/audi. Hes too skint at the moment to run 2 bmws, so rather than being sensible and selling it and buying 2 cheaper cars he sticks with one which if he doesnt sell soon is sure to be worth sweet f.a But he wont drive "cheaper" brand cars. And now he has to share a car with my mum meaning if hes away she doesnt have a car. Stupid.

Now i have driven a wealth of cars, i have owned a mercedes and 3 vauxhalls driven range rovers, bmw's etc... I understand the differences, but tbh its not like the lesser cars are bad? Im currently driving an L-reg corsa ls with no pas, a 1.2 8v engine no electrics bar heated rear screens its great fun, a cheap as chips crap to drive slow as feck car. But it does the job and i dont mind driving it or feel like im dmeoting my social status by driving it

Reading another forum about how a guy in a brand new E46 M3 got beaten buy a nova, now while his response was quite cool saying watchout this thing is megafast etc etc Alot of them started on some council estate rant about how their bmw probably cost more than their house!

I mean anyone whos done a conversion knows you best have £5k lying spare to build a decent one, and i have NEVER seen a chav driving a well tastefully modified LET nova, and even if they were so what? I can appreciate some tastes leave little to be desired and would comment at what a monstrocity something is if it were styled by stevie wonder on acid in halfords drinking petrol. But i wouldnt start saying its ok my clothges probably cost mroe than his? Id say,: That is fucking disgusting. Who would think such a heap looks good

I just dont see the why people who have alot more money than others think they are "allowed" performance cars because of their bank balance and not their passion!? Money has little to do with it tbh.

Dunno if that makes sense it really gets my goat.

My 2 cents on the matter apologies for bad spelling and grammar

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by Jambo]

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by mav]
Marc

11th Oct 06 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can appreciate the Nova let and the work gone in, I'd rather an M3 though
mwg

11th Oct 06 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tend to be a bit like that about french cars TBH
Robin
Premium Member

11th Oct 06 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. I will be buying a bmw next for this very reason
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Oct 06 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J Warning

Nice rant though

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Jambo

11th Oct 06 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not about preffering a bmw to a nova its got nothing to do with it. Of course 9/10 most people would do. Im saying is if you havent got £50k to buy one doesnt mean you cant
A: like cars
B: Know anything about them
C: build one faster than an m3.

Its the attitude, that doesnt apply to ALL drivers or anything just the ones that do. I gave my dad as a prime example
Robin
Premium Member

11th Oct 06 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know exactly what you mean.

People assume more money = better. It depends what you are looking for though.

My mate had a brand new corsa sxi when i had my yellow corsa. mine cost less, was faster, more fun, and just as reliable (nearly) but he always thought his was better (til he drove mine)
Gregor

11th Oct 06 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed Jambo
Tom

11th Oct 06 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree there is no need to start comparing, people who are rich and talk about money are 99% of the time nob's.

Your dad should lighten up, tell him to get a run around and get a picture of his bmw made up stating 'this is my other car'
carnoisseurcraig

11th Oct 06 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people are VERY badge orientated. I work for Honda and BMW owners are the most difficult guys to deal with. Simply becaus they are soooo far up their own arse.

And obviously because its a BMW it doesnt depreciate.... PPPHHHAA, if only they would realise just cos they paid a fortune for it dont mean it holds its value.

Plus Hondas new diesel is far better than there equivilent
Jules S
Premium Member

11th Oct 06 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I chose a Vauxhall over a Lotus

Surely this is all about what you can afford/justify spending though?
Robin
Premium Member

11th Oct 06 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, if i had 50k to spend on a car, i wouldnt buy a vauxhall, i'd buy a bmw m something.
Jambo

11th Oct 06 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that and having £50k makes you "better" than your fellow man.

I know a guy whos a stock broker works in london and lives there mon-fri has a house out here for weekends. He is the loveliest guy not a flash prick. Aint seen him in a while be he owned 2 cars, a E39 BMW M5 (when they were new) and his second car?? For london?? A FIAT ciquecento sporting! And guess what did he moan about drivng it saying how much better his BMW was??
No, he said he loves it!
Carl

11th Oct 06 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got to agree, its usually people who don't know anything about cars anyway.
carnoisseurcraig

11th Oct 06 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know someone up my way that fits that bill... He owns the local pub who i play football for but he also owns LOADS of farms and land. He's a millionaire a million times over. But he drives a Subaru legacy - w reg, green with Loads of bashes and rust and is brilliant crack.

He comes to all our football matches and is basically one of the lads even though he is 62
Jambo

11th Oct 06 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He sells crack

j/k know what you mean, dont know why some people let money go to their heads!

Also the one i cant get over, is when people owning things liek VW polo's golfs etc think its something "above" that of a ford/vauxhall etc Its a fucking german ford FFS, u want a "classier" then buy a bmw/audi/merc not a peoples car
Robin
Premium Member

11th Oct 06 at 16:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, but the polo 9n is better than the Corsa C or the Mk6 fiesta

its all about paying for the badge. status symbols. having a TEAC stereo over an Amstrad, everyone does it.

its just the car thing is worse, because people look down at 'worse' cars.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 06 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man makes the money, money doesn't make the man.
ed

11th Oct 06 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, when I graduate I don't really intend on driving a Vaux or a Fiat.
andy1868

11th Oct 06 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this thread

i wouldn't mind a BMW 50k car obviously, but i think i would enjoy the satifaction of beating one in an LET nova more than the BMW itself.
allza

11th Oct 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just thinking about this the other day but i guess i am slightly guilty of doing this too. I love the way my corsa looks and drives but then im sure it as seen as most as just another crappy corsa. I think this the only reason that stops me spending any more money on it as i think at the end of the day its still a corsa and the money could be spent on getting something viewed as 'better'.
Adam_B

11th Oct 06 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes i like my car because it does stuff that it isnt supposed to, and other times i hate it because i see other people acting like nobs and i know im getting tarred with the same brush.
SportBoy

11th Oct 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no matter what car you own theres always some twat that thinks your a tosser lol
jr

11th Oct 06 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
sometimes i like my car because it does stuff that it isnt supposed to, and other times i hate it because i see other people acting like nobs and i know im getting tarred with the same brush.

couldnt agree more with this statement, how i feel when mine works
Adam_B

11th Oct 06 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i broke my corsa tonight

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Something really begging to get on my 'chest' 23 database queries in 0.0137410 seconds