corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » liverpools premier division decline

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author liverpools premier division decline
sparkywrex

User status: Offline
14th Nov 06 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is it all down to? no league title since 1990 in process of being over taken by man utd in next couple of years, beginning to wonder if liverpool will ever get back to the glory days.ok champions leaue was won and the treble etc i know that but the premiership is the one they should go for

16 years is way way too long for a club like liverpool, what do you put it all dwon to? souness? dalglish's shock resignation? back pass rule? (this sounds stupid but on espn classic lpool teams always usd to pass ball back)

it is a crying shame, i dont support liverpool but wold be great to see them come good again
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF

The reason we hit a decline is because of Heysal and the 8yr ban from Europe. Since then we havent won a league title as couldnt attract the big name players, we suffered off the pitch by not winning things or being in Europe and allowed Utd to take over us financial wise.

Weve come close in past years, but weve never had a squad good enough to win the league, it just wasnt able to handle the consistancy needed over a full season, and thats always seemed to be the case.

And even though we havent won the league in that time...take a look at what we have won and we are still up there as what you would call a successful club.
Marc

14th Nov 06 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I heard they're packing it all in at the end of the season.
Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I heard they're packing it all in at the end of the season.

so have I. Going to up and move to the far east...hoping that we can steal 90% of Utds fan base by doing so as they wont have to travel so far to watch us play
Marc

14th Nov 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL
--Dave--
Banned

14th Nov 06 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

COsmo
Tom

14th Nov 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel we should be pimping ourselves to rich american's who will only use us for our looks/image
MarkM

14th Nov 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Cosmosolton said...

Look at our trophy hall in the last ten years....

Not many can live with that....only Utd....

Chelski dont even come close...

[Edited on 14-11-2006 by MarkM]
MarkM

14th Nov 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and also we dont have debts running into hundreds of millions...

Cosmo

14th Nov 06 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH though, ban Utd or Chelsea from Europe for 8 years and see how long it takes them afterwards to catch back up.
--Dave--
Banned

14th Nov 06 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chelsea don't have any history ffs

[Edited on 14-11-2006 by --Dave--]
sparkywrex

15th Nov 06 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good point about the 8 year ban from europe

since 1990 liverpools cup record has been good, but only really started to kick in during houllier's reign with the treble which was 2001 and seems to be at least one trophy a season from then.
watched espn classic when palace knoked liverpool out in fa cup semi you could just see a great team falling by the wayside then, 1st cracks in the wall.

souness' inability in the transfer market would prove to be his downfall in the future. remember Ali Dia?
signing likes of tanner,marsh,stewart,kozma(he was awful) torben peichnik, altho he did have same reputation as sammi hyypia turnd out to be one of his worse signings, last but not least ronny rosenthal. rocket ronny did fire lpool to 1990 title but since the miss at villa park in 1992 his confidence was shot to peices.

liverpool may still be winning league cups, fa cups etc but the premiership should have been to anfield at least three times

Man Utd over took Liverpool in 1994 with a blistering style of football, Arsenal overtook Liverpool in 1998, wenger builiding one of arseanls best ever sides, and Chelsea overtook Liverpool in 2005

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by sparkywrex]

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by sparkywrex]
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sparkywrex
and Chelsea overtook Liverpool in 2005

I can give you Man Utd and Arsenal overtaking us in those years (and most afterwards) but Im sorry, Chelsea did no such thing. All they have done is buy a few cups and IMO thats just a temporary thing until Roman gets bored and leaves them with no chance of covering their massive costs.

TBH after the Europe ban its been down to a lot of things...bad manager choices and giving some of them too much time (Houllier was there one season too long), trying to jump right to the top instead of building back up with a strong base, expectation being too high from the fans expecting us to be right back up there straight away, inability to compete in the transfer market (although we did make a few record signings through the years in Dean Saunders @ £3m and Collymore) but not really being able to buy the best of the best.

The years we really should of taken things forward is when we had all the kids coming through, we should of done what Utd did in those years but just didnt have the right management at the time.

We have always been right up there though and winning things and we will win the title soon enough. All the infrastructure is there again now with a stable and loyal Chairman who is willing to regularly provide funds (not on the Roman scale but still 25-30m a season normally), a great youth acadamy and training complex and hopefully soon a new stadium which is meant to start being built in Jan.
Mad Moe

15th Nov 06 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree Liverpool are a fantastic club but for you to suggest that the haven't been overtaken by Chelsea is stupid
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Moe
I agree Liverpool are a fantastic club but for you to suggest that the haven't been overtaken by Chelsea is stupid

it depends how you class overtaken...

For winning the league, yes.
Winning anything else, no.
Having a larger fanbase, no.
Making more profit, no.
Nath

15th Nov 06 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I agree.
Nath

15th Nov 06 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of honours they have overtaken everyone in England.
Mad Moe

15th Nov 06 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

it depends how you class overtaken...

For winning the league, yes.
Winning anything else, no.
Having a larger fanbase, no.
Making more profit, no.

So the fact that they have a better team and have won to consecutive league titles doesn't means they haven't surpassed Liverpool? I get that you're on about Liverpool’s famous champions’ league triumph but it was a knock out competition where the luck of the draw is crucial and cannot be compared with league success in my opinion

[Edited on 15-11-2006 by Mad Moe]
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

yeah but thats only if you take into account the last 2 seasons. Go back the last 5 seasons and they havent!
Mad Moe

15th Nov 06 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Nath

yeah but thats only if you take into account the last 2 seasons. Go back the last 5 seasons and they havent!

Hence why he's said the Chelsea had supassed them in 2005
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So the fact that they have a better team and have won to consecutive league titles doesn't means they haven't surpassed Liverpool? I get that you're on about Liverpool’s famous champions’ league triumph but it was a knock out competition where the luck of the draw is crucial and cannot be compared with league success in my opinion

No, Im saying what do you base if they have overtaken someone else or not? Is it purely on trophies won (if so then Liverpool have overtaken Arsenal and Man Utd) or is it on a lot of things off the pitch too?

Also, Im not saying Champions League is above the Prem as it isnt, but luck of the draw....we beat Juventus and Chelsea over two legs, and AC in the final...not an easy run!!
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hence why he's said the Chelsea had supassed them in 2005

read what I said above, on trophies alone then yeah, not going to argue about that. But Im not sure if you can class a club 'overtaking' another purely on trophies won, as otherwise we'd be above Arsenal and Utd and Im sure most would argue with that.
Mad Moe

15th Nov 06 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not wanting to get into an argument mate just my opinion that at current Chelsea have a better squad and team than Liverpool and have two consecutive league title which I think makes them currently a far superior team to Liverpool
--Dave--
Banned

15th Nov 06 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see where Cosmo is coming from. Liverpool and Man Utd have a great history and it will be a long time before other clubs can match this.

To be fair Chelsea have still got a long way to go before they establish themselves as one of the great English teams. I'm not going to mention the fact they pretty much bought the titles, don't wanna go there
Cosmo

15th Nov 06 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not wanting to get into an argument mate just my opinion that at current Chelsea have a better squad and team than Liverpool and have two consecutive league title which I think makes them currently a far superior team to Liverpool

no, Im not arguing...Im just trying to find out what exactly people are classing as overtaken...if trophies and squad then yeah, no probs there.

If fan base, more financially stable (I mean without someone covering their massive debt), success in europe () and domestic cups competitions then no.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » liverpools premier division decline 23 database queries in 0.0142581 seconds