corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sky one.....its gone

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky one.....its gone
Jules S
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Mar 07 at 00:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bugger.

Ripped off again.

Twats.
Robin
Premium Member

1st Mar 07 at 00:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You what?
mav

1st Mar 07 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From Virgin / telewest you mean?

SKy has raised their prices so much Virgin would have had to up the customers bills they said so told Sky to fuck right off...
AndyW

1st Mar 07 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well im gonna cancel my cable! we pay £79 a month for our cable etc etc... if they gonna start taking channels away they will lose my custom!
DarkBahamut

1st Mar 07 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin have already put the TV prices up close to 20% anyway. They are probabaly just being cheap bastards like telewest/ntl always were anyway.
Antz

1st Mar 07 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get Sky Digital...... it's well better and now you can get BB with that too
Colin

1st Mar 07 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to cancel mine - total waste of money!!

Might bin the hoose phone aswell, £21 a month & I never use it!!
Dom

1st Mar 07 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There a little more to it than virgin/sky are shit

The current story is that sky doubled (sky haven't denied this) price for virgin to carry sky 1,2,3, sky news and sky travel. Virgin wasn't happy with them upping the price as they believed the channel didn't warrant the hike.
And basically talks between the two broke down middle/end of last week.

Although Virgin have said they won't compensate customers for the lack of channels, they are making up for it. Since last week, virgin have rushed around and signed a few programme deals, like Lost (and a few others i believe) to appear on Virgins V(ideo)O(n)D(emand) channel (something sky can't do without a internet connection )

It's a bit shit, but does seem apparent that sky pulled out the bullying tatics to scare Virgin some what, especially considering sky bought 17.5% share stake in ITV which NTL/Telewest (before virgin) were about to make a deal. As it is so fishy, ofcom are currently looking into sky and the deal with ITV.

Btw, if it's a rip have a look at virgin medias website as they have a few bundles/deals going, like the V+ HD Box (3 Tuners - so record three and watch something pre-recorded, or record two watch one....something sky+/HD box can't do as it lacks a tuner) are thrown in if paying a fair wack a month. Or another box in the house for nothing etc.

p.s - no i don't work for virgin, just been reading the business sections of newspapers

[Edited on 01-03-2007 by Dom]
Dom

1st Mar 07 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And Antz, actually sky is inferior to cable as cable can do real-time VOD (infact BOD, which is broadcast on demand, trialling in american i believe) which sky can't do without a internet connection....oh which eats into your bandwidth limit that comes with your sky ADSL connection (virgin media unlimited).
Plus, unless you happen to be pretty close to the exchange, chances of getting 16mb is very rare, atleast with cable internet you're going to get something near enough what you want.
And, apparently virgin have been trialing 50mb and 100mb internet connections.

Only major thing (other that decent fireware, tv listings and decoder boxes) sky has over cable is the available bandwidth, so in theory more channels. But like said, virgin have VOD which pretty much solves that.

Robin
Premium Member

1st Mar 07 at 01:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cable IS crap, they don't do it near me.
Dom

1st Mar 07 at 01:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Cable IS crap, they don't do it near me.

Yea, thats another problem with cable, costs and arm and leg to dig up roads and lay the coax/fibre cables another pro sky have over virgin - can near enough get it anywhere.

Still, apparently they will start digging up roads and laying cable again - well thats the current rumour.
LeeM

1st Mar 07 at 01:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

virgins 2 for £20 seems like a good deal if u get internet and tv, seeing as the internet on its own is £18!
Stenner

1st Mar 07 at 01:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

internet > Digital.

So i'm sorted.
DarkBahamut

1st Mar 07 at 02:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Only major thing (other that decent fireware, tv listings and decoder boxes) sky has over cable is the available bandwidth, so in theory more channels. But like said, virgin have VOD which pretty much solves that.

Untill Virgin put every single TV program there is on VOD than saying that VOD solves the lack of channel is complete rubbish. It is slowly getting better, but Virgins VOD is still only slightly useful at best. I'd much rather the VOD vanished and we got alot more new channel.
LeeM

1st Mar 07 at 02:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is VOD what used to be called teleport? if so thats a deal breaker imo, watch things like shameless any time in the week after its been on, all episodes of peep show, etc. awesome!
WATSON

1st Mar 07 at 02:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stuck with sky no matter what

We cant get cable ect due to been in a new house
Dom

1st Mar 07 at 02:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VOD uses the same bandwidth as one channel that can offer unlimited amount of programmes, and like i said, it's impossible for cable to have anywhere near the amount of bandwidth as sky (unless fibre was installed directly into each home). They are switching off the old analog stuff on the network soon, which will free a fair amount of bandwidth, but VOD is the best way to go. Especially as it could lead to BOD (google it).

I do agree that it isn't perfect at the moment but it will get better and virgin are signing up more programmes (current deal with ABC and warner i believe).

Few links worth reading - > HERE <, > HERE <, > HERE <

Lee - yea, VOD is basically that. Select any programme/film/etc any time you want

Edit - Also, sky are making the channels on freeview (Sky one/two etc) PAY TV, which also another shitter

Ben D

1st Mar 07 at 02:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well That's just Bollocks!

Can they just stop supplying Channels i am Subscribed to like that? i used to watch Quite alot of programmes on Sky one such as the Simpsons & Dead Like me & Car wars, Infact my mum always has Sky One/Two on.

If it wasn't for Sky's Reception being so bad & the ballache of needing to get a BT phone line and their Broadband Being shit )oh and it costing more) i would Swap to Sky tomorrow, dont think the Telly will even be watched from now on TBH.

Oh well i have been thinking of Cancelling NTL for months as i have had nothign NUT problems with them since signing up such as:
Salesman Quit the Day after he took my Sign up deposit Delaying installation for 5 Weeks.
They Lost £120 i paid to them when Paying my Bill in my local bank.
They Charged me for 2 Broadband Accounts for 6 months.
Made Multiple Attempts at taking money out of my Account for a bill i already Paid Via Credit Card.
I had Some gormless Pumb arguing on my Doorstep to reposses my NTL Set top box & modem for an hour till i chased him down my driveway .
They decided to send my Broadband bill to my NTL E-mail adress i didint even know i had and refused to send it Via Snail Mail.
And now they Cancel the only channel that's watched in my house

O well might just cancel and get Phone & BB from somewhere else and Use what i woulda spent on TV on a PS3
Russ

1st Mar 07 at 05:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not impressed, and for virgin to say "we cant afford it" is bollox, branson could of paid a one off fee, or just bought all the shows for his own channel, fact of the matter is, rupert murdoch is a cunt
mooney

1st Mar 07 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been told it works out at 3p extra per customer for the sky channels,
abdus

1st Mar 07 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a shame
Steve
Premium Member

1st Mar 07 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im still unsure why everyone has to have a tv license.

bbc when it goes fully digital should just have viewing cards and not broadcast to people who dont have a license and not care about having bbc
Nismo

1st Mar 07 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just virgin being tight stingy bastards, of course SKY are going to put the price up, therea buisness they aint going to do there rivals any favours are they

I dont know why anyone would want cable over SKY

What SKY has lined up is crazy compaired to anything else

deano87

1st Mar 07 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just pissed off that Lost moved from C4 to SkyOne. Weren't too much of a problem, watch through digital, taping on DVD recorder. Now SkyOne has gone, it has completely monopolised some channels.

Hopefully, like has been mentioned, Lost will be available on VOD!

The only thing Sky has over cable is that it's a damn site quicker.
AndyW

1st Mar 07 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/fairplay/index.html

explains it all here

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sky one.....its gone 22 database queries in 0.0142701 seconds