corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Fergie you gobshite

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fergie you gobshite
Cosmo

User status: Offline
6th Nov 07 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ferguson supports Fifa quota plan

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he wants to see more homegrown players at English clubs.

Ferguson agrees with Fifa president Sepp Blatter's plans to get a quota on foreign players, an opinion which is set to rile both Arsenal and Liverpool.

"For the good of the game in England, it would be good to see more home-based players at the top clubs," he said.

"I totally agree [with Blatter], but there would be opposition from clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal."

You couldn't make it law - it would have to be an agreement between the clubs

He added in Inside United magazine: "It's certainly not wrong that clubs should be seen to have a proportion of home-based players.

"You want to protect your own, and there is nothing wrong with that and that's why Arsenal will protest the loudest.

"United's critics would say 'It's all right for you, you already have English players in your side'. But I think if you asked a neutral, they would rather see more home-based players."

Blatter wants clubs to be limited to five foreigners in their starting XI to allow homegrown talent to flourish.

The Premier League says under EU law it would not be possible, but Ferguson, who celebrates 21 years as United boss on Tuesday, believes there is a way around the legal system.

"Under the present Treaty of Rome you couldn't make it law - it would have to be an agreement between the clubs," said the 65-year-old Scot.

"But if it went to a vote, I think it would get through, even though there would be opposition from the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal, who have strong Spanish and French connections.

"It would certainly be a contentious issue but I agree with the principle of it."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has already responded to Blatter's proposals by saying such a move would "kill the Premier League".

---------

Fuck off Fergie. The only reason your lot has a strong English link at the moment is because you went out and paid £30m for a teenager, £30m on a cokehead, and then well over the odds for £18m each on Carrick and a fake English Canadian.
Dean_W

6th Nov 07 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Fergie.

Some teams don't even field english players for a match. Takes the piss.
CR7
Banned

6th Nov 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liverpool and Arsenal fans won't agree

Arsenal are taking the piss though, contribute nothing to the national team...
Cosmo

6th Nov 07 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, the thing is I do agree with his actual point, I see no problem with some sort of quota in principle if it is a European (or World) wide thing, and that the FA do something to stop clubs charging so much for English talant, as even though prices are high now they'd double if clubs knew we needed to buy English to meet quotas.

My point about his actual comments though are that he is making out that he has brought through all of these players in his team, when the fact is that he has gone out and blown £100m+ on 4 English players - and Arsenal and Liverpool just cant do that.
Robbo

6th Nov 07 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CR7

Ashley Cole?
David Bentley?
Robbo

6th Nov 07 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
and Arsenal and Liverpool just cant do that.
Pre-cisely!!
mav

6th Nov 07 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with the rule in principal..Over all of football not just england..

Have to have at least 4-5 homegrown talents in starting 11..
Edd

6th Nov 07 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes like rangers
BigSte

6th Nov 07 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is becoming an ever increasing gap between 'the big 4' and all other teams, and to be quite honest it is getting pretty boring at the top of the Premier League...

This quota sounds like a great idea tbh but I doubt anything will ever come of it.... it would create less of a gap between the top four and the other 'biggish' clubs as the top 4 can't carry on cherry picking the best talent from around the world and fielding a few or no Englishmen in every game.

4 or 5 Englishmen in a team would be a fair quota imo
Cosmo

6th Nov 07 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
This quota sounds like a great idea tbh but I doubt anything will ever come of it.... it would create less of a gap between the top four and the other 'biggish' clubs as the top 4 can't carry on cherry picking the best talent from around the world and fielding a few or no Englishmen in every game.

No it wouldnt, it would just lower the total quality of the Premiership. The best English players would go to the top 4/5/6 teams, and the rest would be left having to field second rate players due to a quota. And the best foreign players would firstly be either at the top English sides, or failing that at a top side in their own country to fill their quota, and then once again the second rate players would go to fill the rest of the teams in the leagues.

It may even out the competition amoung the top teams in each league, but I seriously doubt it would make the Premiership anymore competitive.
strick206

6th Nov 07 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by CR7

Ashley Cole?
David Bentley?

do you want to have a think about that?
strick206

6th Nov 07 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wes brown, ryan giggs, gary neville, paul scholes,

ben foster although we bought him

were not exactly only saying it because we can afford these players, it should be made a rule

4 UK players in every starting 11 is not too much to ask tbh

gerrard, carragher, finnan, crouch, wouldnt bother liverpool tbh
CR7
Banned

6th Nov 07 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CR7

Ashley Cole?
David Bentley?

Both shite
strick206

6th Nov 07 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CR7
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CR7

Ashley Cole?
David Bentley?

Both shite

both left also
Cosmo

6th Nov 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
wes brown, ryan giggs, gary neville, paul scholes,

ben foster although we bought him

were not exactly only saying it because we can afford these players, it should be made a rule

4 UK players in every starting 11 is not too much to ask tbh

gerrard, carragher, finnan, crouch, wouldnt bother liverpool tbh

Im not saying you dont have some English players that you brought through, as you certainly do, but 4 of your main starters cost you over £100m to buy, and that is how Fergie can get on his high horse.
Mather.16v

6th Nov 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great idea, ive been saying this for ages

man utds strongest 11 only has 5 foreigners imo (VDS, Evra, Vidic, Ronaldo, Tevez), and a squad full of english scottish irish who can come in no problem, should we be short of uk nationals

for the likes of arsenal, chelsea, liverpool it would be a big problem, if they were going to bring it in any time soon, then teams should be given until the start of the season 2009 to prepare. doing it this way wouldnt be to much of a problem
DR11
Banned

6th Nov 07 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arsenal could field 4 english if they had too. Hoyte, Walcott, Gibbs and Almunia is legible to play for England next year I read somewhere
simon179

6th Nov 07 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well good old everton have plenty of home grown many of which through youth system like

HG YTPS
james vaughnan
victor anichebe
tony hibbert
leon osman

HG
andrew jonhson
joleon lescott
lukas jutaikwitz (or however u spell it) haha
stuartmitchell

6th Nov 07 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
No, the thing is I do agree with his actual point, I see no problem with some sort of quota in principle if it is a European (or World) wide thing, and that the FA do something to stop clubs charging so much for English talant, as even though prices are high now they'd double if clubs knew we needed to buy English to meet quotas.

My point about his actual comments though are that he is making out that he has brought through all of these players in his team, when the fact is that he has gone out and blown £100m+ on 4 English players - and Arsenal and Liverpool just cant do that.

I see your point there Cosmo, if the rule is there to encourage home grown players then they should of come through the ranks and not been simply bought.
Cosmo

6th Nov 07 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but then the problem of doing that is if the talent isnt there then it just isnt there. I mean Liverpool have been investing millions and millions into the acadamy, and won the FA Youth Cup for the last two years with mainly local players, but none of those are really anything extra special that you could see playing week in week out at the top level.

So forcing teams to have to play these players would just lower the overall quality of the league.
CR7
Banned

6th Nov 07 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DR11
Arsenal could field 4 english if they had too. Hoyte, Walcott, Gibbs and Almunia is legible to play for England next year I read somewhere

Really thats 3 and would any get in your strongest XI? i think not
Cosmo

6th Nov 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We'd have to pick out of...Carson, Finnan (Irish!), Carra, Pennant, Gerrard, Crouch, and a whole load of younger lads who are on the fringes at the moment.
Hammer

6th Nov 07 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In theory i'm for it in practice it's only going to make the Darren Bents of this world worth £30 million when in truth he's not worth the £18 or whatever million Spurs paid for him.

Every time a young English player came on the scene the big 4 would be at auction for him creating a lopsided transfer market, not good for the game.
Rob_Quads

6th Nov 07 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it would make the league any more even - as others have said it would just make it be much like it is now IMO except the overall standard is less.

Arsenal have one of the best youth teams out there, up there with the likes of Liverpool etc. The training system they have is excellent. Just because they don't go on to the first team does not mean they are not doing anything for english footy.

As mentioned - ManU spent how much on thier English players. If Arsenal had to they could just go out - buy the decent ones from the lower teams (spend 100M when they could probably spend 30M and get the same/better quality else where) - this would mean they still had the best players but those team below would then have less good players and would have to put up with even worse players thus the gap would still remain.

The 'vote' idea is just a joke. OK so they vote and all say it will be a rule for the Prem - the top teams would just end up leaving and the euro superleague would be step closer
Cosmo

6th Nov 07 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
The 'vote' idea is just a joke. OK so they vote and all say it will be a rule for the Prem - the top teams would just end up leaving and the euro superleague would be step closer

Or worse still the other European teams laugh at us as all our best players leave for their leagues where they will be part of competitive teams that dont have restrictions...and the Prem becomes a shite league.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Fergie you gobshite 23 database queries in 0.0140510 seconds