corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Lateral Pulldown

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lateral Pulldown
Marc

User status: Offline
8th Jan 08 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How does everyone else do this?

For years I have face the machine, with my legs under the supports and pull dow the bar behind my head down to my neck. Last night one of the gym workers came over and said we should be pulling it down in fron of our heads as we were straining our necks the way we were doing it. Said if we wanted to do it this way to face face away from the machine. He also said the guy who lean back when pulling the weight couldn't probably lift it if the remained sat up right. Which makes sense. Concluded by saying, but do it whatever way you want, none of you listen anyway!

I still think the way I've being doing it is right! How does everyone else do it!
chris-sri

8th Jan 08 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always do it with the bar in front and I'm pretty sure he's right about the leaning back bit. If you're leaning back you're using momentum to lift the weight rather than doing it properly.
Marc

8th Jan 08 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree totally with the leaning back. I've seen people doing it myself and I've thought they're wasting their time.
chris-sri

8th Jan 08 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I always got told to pull the bar down to the front and I find it awkward doing it the other way in any case. I've seen plenty of people do it the way you describe though.
Hammer

8th Jan 08 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always done it to the back of my neck as that's the way i was taught in p.e. for years, having been at the gym for a couple months i've noticed people pulling it to their front though.
AdZ9

8th Jan 08 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pulling it behind your head is a sure fure way to injure yourself. Its the wrong way.

Sit as you do with legs under, and grab the handle at a wide grip, pull it down and only go level with your chin. Don't lean back to lift the weight, if you have to do that then lower the weight. Do the movement slowly as well so you don't get into a momentum.

http://www.coopersguns.com/videos/exercise-encyclopedia/lats/lat-pull-down/

Wide grip pull ups are better though! Even if you can only do a couple, keep at it for a month and you'll be doing a full set by the end of it
Marc

8th Jan 08 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always hold the bar out as wide as I can. And never lean back like others do, was just a comment!
AdZ9

8th Jan 08 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't having a go, just making sure that you are doing it the right way and not breaking your neck doing it behind it
Marc

8th Jan 08 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I know. Didn't mean it to sound like I was being snappy! That was just an additional comment about the leaning back!
AdZ9

8th Jan 08 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i ever use the lat pull down (i prefer pull ups, more of a compound movement) i make sure i really squeeze/contract my lats when i've pulled it down, that way i feel it better as sometimes you can't really feel it working the muscle as well as pull ups
johnhara1

8th Jan 08 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
If i ever use the lat pull down (i prefer pull ups, more of a compound movement) i make sure i really squeeze/contract my lats when i've pulled it down, that way i feel it better as sometimes you can't really feel it working the muscle as well as pull ups

Agreed, i do that too as i dont tend to feel it working my back.

I didnt know that about the lat pulls behind your neck being wrong, its demonstrated behind your neck on the actual machine diagram but i tend to do both anyway.

That encyclopedia site is excellent, thankyou.

Marc

8th Jan 08 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diagram on this machine actually shows infront but I ignored and did it my way!
Rebecca

8th Jan 08 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do it infront of my head.

But thats how I was taught...
AdZ9

8th Jan 08 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People used to think it was alright to do so they were put on some machines illustrating they were ok. Studies were done and it was proven it was bad for you, it exerts more pressure on something like the 4/5/6th verterbrae of your back resulting in possible back/neck injuries. New machines wouldn't illustrate behind the neck now.

Most exercises behind the neck are bad for you due to the non natural movement and pressure on the spine, such as behind the neck shoulder pressing.

Coopers guns is a very good site, as is http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

*edit* editted the link to take it to the muscle directory and exercise directory.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBFrontPulldown.html

[Edited on 08-01-2008 by AdZ9]
Rebecca

8th Jan 08 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a good site that...

I'm getting marks on my hands from doin weights I need to buy some gloves but dont have a clue where to get them from?

AdZ9

8th Jan 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you mean callouses? I personally don't use gloves as they make it harder to grip the weights and i never feel i have enough of a grip, but they maybe a good idea for you as i imagine most girls wouldn't want callouses

You can get some for argos.co.uk which would be fine for you. Just checked argos, scroll down the page and you'll see some which would be fine for you
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&langId=-1&q=GLOVES&pp=20&c_1=1|cat_8962689|Home%20gym%20equipment|8962770
Rebecca

8th Jan 08 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what they are called!

Not pretty when I spend like £60 quid on my nails a month then having rank hands!

The problem is they are usually made for men so they are too big as I only have dinky hands!
AdZ9

8th Jan 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok bex try http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk and on the left search gloves, will bring up loads. Have a flick through, they should have womans ones.
Rebecca

8th Jan 08 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
Ok bex try http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk and on the left search gloves, will bring up loads. Have a flick through, they should have womans ones.

Thank you.

Think I might order some tonight.

x
corsa_godfather

10th Jan 08 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get a better burn pulling it down at the front,feels a tad uncomfortable pulling it down behind my back
csweatherston

11th Jan 08 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have about 4 movements i do with the lateral pulldown machine, mixing them up throughout my weeks workout.

*2 x small d grips(one for either hand) seated on bench leaning back, pulling towards lower chest.

*close grip on small straight bar, underhand chin position seated on bench. straight back pulling towards upper chest.

*mid length bar with a d at either end, seated on bench, straight back, pulling toward upper chest.

.*knees under the support bench wide grip (longbar) pulling behind the neck.
- this is the best way if you use good form, as the knees under the bench keep your back straighter, as does the bar behing the neck...

IMO

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by csweatherston]
AdZ9

11th Jan 08 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i keep my knees under the supports... but i pull it down infront of you like your meant to. Think of a wide grip chin up, youy don't pull yourself upwards to your neck do you!

csweatherston do you do proper chin ups? You'd benefit more from doing real chin ups instead of ones on a lat pull down machine, they may see mthe same movement but they are different in many ways
csweatherston

11th Jan 08 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you do unassisted chins with nearly 200lb of weight?...
no... neither can i
AdZ9

11th Jan 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can actually, and I do every week, overhand wide grip pull ups, then if i feel like it, underhand close grip pull ups!
csweatherston

11th Jan 08 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this makes me sad.....

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Lateral Pulldown 23 database queries in 0.0125091 seconds