corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » DIC set to make £500m bid for Liverpool

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIC set to make £500m bid for Liverpool
Cosmo

User status: Offline
19th Jan 08 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dubai International Capital - the investment arm of the Dubai Government - is to launch a £500m bid to buy Liverpool Football Club.

BBC Sport understands the offer is in the process of being made to American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

DIC was originally thought to be ready to make an offer for Hicks' 50% share, despite his insistence that he is unwilling to discuss a sale.

But DIC is now poised to make an offer for the complete buy-out of the pair.

DIC were close to buying the club in January, but pulled out when Liverpool moved into advanced negotiations with Hicks and Gillett.

But Gillett and Hicks' reign has caused turmoil on and off the pitch at Liverpool, and DIC have always maintained their interest despite the collape of the previous deal.

Gillett and Hicks are currently attempting to finalise terms on a £350m loan that would enable them to repay money borrowed for their £219m takeover, repay loans used to sign players, and enable them to start work on a re-scaled plan for a new stadium in Stanley Park.

DIC's offer will be made swiftly to present the American duo with a get-out clause before they take out the massive loan.

Hicks, in particular, is under pressure after being subjected to heavy criticism from fans following public disagreements with popular manager Rafael Benitez, and his public admission that talks had been held with Jurgen Klinsmann about possibly succeeding the Spaniard.

And Liverpool fans will turn up the heat on Gillett and Hicks with an orchestrated protest at Monday night's game against Aston Villa.

Website website Reclaim The Kop issued a statement claiming they were "not fit to be associated with our club" and banners criticising the Americans and calling on DIC to launch a bid were held aloft on The Kop during the FA Cup win against Luton.

A spokeman for the Americans said on Thursday: "Any suggestion Hicks and Gillett are contemplating a sale of the club or any portion of it is categorically untrue."

There are also claims that Gillett is having reservations about his relationship with Hicks.

------

In a way this is good news as Hicks comes across as a bit of a fish out of water with the way he is handling things at the moment, but I feel sorry for Gillett as he does seem to genuinely care for the club and is going about things the best he can and in a quiet fashion.

I think they may well sell up and walk away with a HUGE profit for a years work. Will be good news for us as DIC will want to build the best and biggest stadium possible (probably on an island in the middle of the Mersey) and will back Rafa in the transfer market.

Will have to wait and see though - but aslong as this messing stops in the background and Rafa is backed Im not bothered which group owns us.
Nath

19th Jan 08 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These Yanks do seem like a bunch of cowboys.
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
These Yanks do seem like a bunch of cowboys.

Hicks does for sure. Gillett is the one who originally came in for us pre-DIC bid last xmas, but he couldnt secure the funding on his own, so brought Hicks on board.
Marc

19th Jan 08 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said at the time, maybe not on here, can't remember, that these two were buying the club as a business decision and not as football fans.

I'm not a fan, obviously!!! But the sooner you get rid of them the better. To come in and have this uncertainty over Benitez is rediculous. You may be shite in the league but hes got you European and Cup success.
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hicks is a bit of a cunt to be honest. Typical Texan like Bush. (He was the bloke how made bush a millionaire) so has alot of political say and thinks he can do anything.

Though I think they have backed Rafa, he has spent alot of their money. He is shotting himself in the foot with some of his tatical choices.

I don't think he will sell though been offered loads of money for Texas Rangers and never sold them. Just chairman of US sports teams take a more active role than in the UK and it does not go down well with european managers.
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I said at the time, maybe not on here, can't remember, that these two were buying the club as a business decision and not as football fans.

No one spends a stupid amount of money on a football club because you are a fan, not unless you have the sort of money Roman does. Glazers arent fans of United, its purely an investment to them - but they have kept silent and allowed the running of the club to continue how it is and backed the manager (although crippled the club with debt )

I'd be happy if just Hicks left and DIC and Gillett did something, but in reality this probably wouldnt work either so DIC in on their own could be the best option ATM.
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jodi_the_g
Though I think they have backed Rafa, he has spent alot of their money.

They havent put ANY of their own money into the club.

Original purchase was funded via a £280m loan from RBS, although this was secured against them personally. And summer purchases were bought with loan notes - which if you consider the money brought in via sales was actually nothing that hasnt been spent in previous seasons under Moores.

And the whole reason the refinancing has taken so long is that the banks want the owners to put in upto £75m each of their own capital - Gillett was willing to do so but Hicks wasnt (isnt?).
iceman

19th Jan 08 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo,
Who is your source teh DIC takeover bid sounds just the right ticket providing they dont turn out like the dumb american's

The new stadium in the middle of the mersey sounds amazing would be nice to see that with a anfield way type bridge leading towards the ground lol
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by iceman
Cosmo,
Who is your source teh DIC takeover bid sounds just the right ticket providing they dont turn out like the dumb american's

The new stadium in the middle of the mersey sounds amazing would be nice to see that with a anfield way type bridge leading towards the ground lol

Thats taken from the BBC, although the rumours have been going round a few forums for the last few weeks now.

The stadium thing was purely my own idea though
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Cosmo,

Thats taken from the BBC, although the rumours have been going round a few forums for the last few weeks now.

Was going to say can not see shipping liking it lol.
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Though I think they have backed Rafa, he has spent alot of their money.

They havent put ANY of their own money into the club.

Original purchase was funded via a £280m loan from RBS, although this was secured against them personally. And summer purchases were bought with loan notes - which if you consider the money brought in via sales was actually nothing that hasnt been spent in previous seasons under Moores.

And the whole reason the refinancing has taken so long is that the banks want the owners to put in upto £75m each of their own capital - Gillett was willing to do so but Hicks wasnt (isnt?).

No but they could of pocketed it.
Marc

19th Jan 08 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

No one spends a stupid amount of money on a football club because you are a fan, not unless you have the sort of money Roman does. Glazers arent fans of United, its purely an investment to them - but they have kept silent and allowed the running of the club to continue how it is and backed the manager (although crippled the club with debt )

I'd be happy if just Hicks left and DIC and Gillett did something, but in reality this probably wouldnt work either so DIC in on their own could be the best option ATM.

I meant more they have no interest in the club, as they wouldn't be interferring with whats currently going on.
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They could well pocket close to £100m each if a £500m bid is true!!
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Thats what i am saying I do not think they are in it entirely for the money. I like Rafa but I think has gone a bit off the boil a bit this season.
iceman

19th Jan 08 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Cosmo,

i think you should have a seat on the board of directors in charge of ground design lol
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How amazing would it be....liver bird shaped island with a big wing shaped hotel on the side of a 100k seater stadium
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thats what i am saying I do not think they are in it entirely for the money. I like Rafa but I think has gone a bit off the boil a bit this season.

We always knew they were though, no one was kidding themselves as you just dont invest that sort of money without wanting a return at some stage, and we were in the perfect position to offer this (poorly run commercially, new stadium planning, just a few players short of a half decent side, etc.) - I just dont think they expected the opportunity to make money from it now.
iceman

19th Jan 08 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
How amazing would it be....liver bird shaped island with a big wing shaped hotel on the side of a 100k seater stadium

You see deffo a seat on the board of directors

BBC website

Liverpool fans set to march against the actions of hick and gillet towards rafa this is going to happen on monday lol

My 2nd march in 1 season lol
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

with ferrys in team colours with ferry accross the mersy being played on them
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Liverpool fans set to march against the actions of hick and gillet towards rafa this is going to happen on monday lol

My 2nd march in 1 season lol

Its being organised by RTK, and I dont agree with how they go about things or their elitist ideas, so they can GTF imo.
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

with ferrys in team colours with ferry accross the mersy being played on them

FPMSL
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I be surprised if they do sell, football is being shown more and more on tv here and aston villa, everton, liverpool, tops are being sold here.

Bare in mind that tops for most other sports here are $120ish so they can sell for £60 here and people will not think twice about it massive market. More so than china in a way as people can pay full price for the goods.
Jodi_the_g

19th Jan 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh forgot man utd tops as well.

Everton and Villa are massive here though because of their celb fans.
iceman

19th Jan 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they make 100-150 million each they will sell for sure
Cosmo

19th Jan 08 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, Im not so sure they will sell, as the growth potential is huge still. Although with the hassle they've had recently the £100m profit could be worth walking away.

We'll have to see.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » DIC set to make £500m bid for Liverpool 23 database queries in 0.0472929 seconds