corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » c20xe advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author c20xe advice
cammack

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 08 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all im currently looking at getting an astra gsi, not to sure on the early or late one yet but im thinking the earlyone for the engine to be honest!

is it worth picking up a c20xe with higher mileage and history? or with lower miles?

roughly how many miles do they do, before a rebuild or becoming expensive to run?

also these are reliable arent they as its going to be used as an everyday car.

cheers guys advice on the car and engine much appreciated!
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone??
barter

23rd Jan 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi cam.id say there reliable i never had problems with mine for day to day driving,snapped a few drive shafts and little bits and bobs but that was from the way i drove it lol.i wouldnt worry about milage personally as id rebuild it but if you cant id go for less milage and just change cambelt etc.also id try and get one from a J reg or earlier as far as im aware there the coscast ones.
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah cheers mate. well i dont drive slow but i dont drive stupid (yes i know thats what we all say)!

id obviously give it a very very good service, do all the belts, oils, probably replace a few parts here and there but dont wanna spend to many hundreds!

ah so the heads changed on the c20xe's did they? how much better are they?

i know they changed from the c20xe to the ecotech mid 94ish.
barter

23rd Jan 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh dont go ecotech lol.basically coscast version has a better head cant go pourous(spelling) etc. lol i wouldnt think you would drive slow if you had a xe.what would the point be of doing it lol.
willhouse

23rd Jan 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont rule the later Limited Edition spec ones out with the ecotec engine,

They are newer cars, have less rust, lower millage, better interior, some had air con, and they have Irmscher skirts and rear spoiler, plus the best bit is the later Limited Editions have Bilstien Suspension as standard
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by barter
yeh dont go ecotech lol.basically coscast version has a better head cant go pourous(spelling) etc. lol i wouldnt think you would drive slow if you had a xe.what would the point be of doing it lol.

ok true enough i guess thats a fair point. ok cheers, dont think im goin eco anyway, i know they haved a few small perks, but not enough to consider gettin one!
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willhouse
dont rule the later Limited Edition spec ones out with the ecotec engine,

They are newer cars, have less rust, lower millage, better interior, some had air con, and they have Irmscher skirts and rear spoiler, plus the best bit is the later Limited Editions have Bilstien Suspension as standard

later limited edition? this was the switch over point right? phase 2 body etc and phase 2 head but with old bottom end?

any idea of the dates for these
Mattb

23rd Jan 08 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

coscast heads can go porus, they are just less prone than the ks heads..

My friend has run an xe in his calibra for nearly 6 years now.. zero problems, just routine maintainence
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so how do you identify the difference between the 2 heads?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

23rd Jan 08 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My XE has been good as gold so far mechanically. I run it on V-power constantly, and make sure the coolant/oil is topped up and nice and new regularly.

My lump has done 135k now, and is still running nicely. IT had 14 vauxhall service stamps when I bought the calibra.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
willhouse

23rd Jan 08 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go on to the Vauxhall Owners Network site and there is a page on there that shows you how to identify a coscast from a non coscast.

The main heads that tend to go porous are the Cavalier SRi's and Calibra heads anyway.

With regard to the limited editions, there were 500 made, they were all on P,R and S plates IIRC and they had the X20XEV engine which is different to the original C20XE, dont be put off by people telling you that they are not as good as the C20XE as in reality they are very good and not much slower at all than the original engine.

Plus as said, you will get a mint Phase 2 Limited Edtion GSI for the the price of an average Phase 1
Mattb

23rd Jan 08 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cammack
so how do you identify the difference between the 2 heads?

on the side of the head where the distributer is or should be. Check for a core plug.. if it has a core plug it is a ks head. if it has a 'Z' cast on it, its a coscast
Mattb

23rd Jan 08 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also as willhouse says, the ecotec aint that bad, its only 14 bhp down on an xe, xe is better to tune imo
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldnt say im wanting to tune, i just want a well looked after car, that is good for day to day driving without much hassle, and thats fun!
Ste L

23rd Jan 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
quote:

coscast heads can go porus, they are just less prone than the ks heads..

My friend has run an xe in his calibra for nearly 6 years now.. zero problems, just routine maintainence

i dont know what people call it porus, as non go porus..

its a crack in the head between the oil/water ways
willhouse

23rd Jan 08 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
wouldnt say im wanting to tune, i just want a well looked after car, that is good for day to day driving without much hassle, and thats fun!

then the Ecotec will probably be a better car for you, as you wont find a good XE that has been well looked after that is not going to need attention of some shape or form.

Plus the Bilsteins on the later models makes for a much more 'fun' drive
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so is this quite a common fault? or is it just a case of poeple running there cars without even doing any maint, checking things over, ragging it from cold etc
Ste L

23rd Jan 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so is this quite a common fault? or is it just a case of poeple running there cars without even doing any maint, checking things over, ragging it from cold etc

the crackecd head?

usually a sympton on overtightening the headbolt's after a head gasket change, hence why vauxhall changed the angle amount setting's..

it can also happen from not being looked after i guess, overheating and so on
Mattb

23rd Jan 08 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The crack / porusness??

Its due to over torquing the head bolts, this is why vaux changed the torque for headbolts on the xe
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah i see. hmm.... im confused as to which one to go for now!!! early or late, early or late!
Ste L

23rd Jan 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ah i see. hmm.... im confused as to which one to go for now!!! early or late, early or late!

the one with less miles...
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with history obviously! hmm...... i know less is better but what mileage would you buy? with the intentions to run everyday etc? and be happy with a buy!
willhouse

23rd Jan 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anything under 85k would be a bonus
cammack

23rd Jan 08 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mmm ill keep my eye open then! so truthfully, whats better in peoples opinion.... phase 1 or 2?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » c20xe advice 23 database queries in 0.0158892 seconds